Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wake up DS107+ via SB3?

Dear all
    DS107+ has a hybernation modus in witch it uses only 8.6W

Question:
    Is DS hybernation modus only HD Standby or more than that?

Is it possible to set the DS107+ so it goes to Hybernat modus at
    -a set time or
    -after a set amount of time?

-Can the SB3 comand the DS107+ to go to hybernate?
    -Can the SB3 camand the DS107+ to wake up from hybernated?

Thanks for help
    L.

> DS107+ has a hybernation modus in witch it uses only 8.6W

Only? Should be 0 W in my opinion (if it actually was hibernation, see below).

> Is DS hybernation modus only HD Standby or more than that?

Basically it's only hdd spindown. And AFAIK the CPU draws less power if it's in an idle loop (i.e. has nothing to do).

To call this hibernation is Synology's (or rather their users) terminology. It's not hibernation as in suspend to RAM/disk.

> Is it possible to set the DS107+ so it goes to Hybernat modus at
    > -after a set amount of time?

Yes, in the web interface somewhere. I think its correctly called hdd standby/spindown time there.

> -a set time or

This is probably irrelevant if the above works. But you could create a crontab entry that issues a "powerdown" command at a given time. See the various Diskstation forums. That has been discussed extensively.

-Can the SB3 comand the DS107+ to go to hybernate?

No. But you could create a plugin that issues the "powerdown" command. Or modify the one that is around to do things like this. Its called "run script plugin" or something. I don't remember.

-Can the SB3 camand the DS107+ to wake up from hybernated?

No. If you mean something like wake-on-lan (WOL), no the DS does not support that.

<offtopic>
    And standby is evil anyway. My personal suggestion is to disconnect any electrical device from mains when its not used. Siehe (h÷re) auch: http://www.crealize.ch/borninbasel/l.../in_goesge.mp3
    </offtopic>

Refer to the various NAS forums for this question. There are (and have been) lots of discussion on these subjects.

flip
    Last edited by flipflip; 2007-05-30 at 10:52. Reason: typos etc.
    Check out flipflip's Squeezebox Server On (some) DiskStation (SSODS) and on (some) TurboStations (SSOTS) and some other devices! Please do NOT file SSODS bugs in (SD's) bugzilla. Use the forums. And only the forums. Thanks.

Ot

<offtopic>
    And standby is evil anyway. My personal suggestion is to disconnect any electrical device from mains when its not used. Siehe (h÷re) auch: http://www.crealize.ch/borninbasel/l.../in_goesge.mp3
    </offtopic>

Huh?
    flipflip, would you care to expand on this a bit? Is there even a practical way to do this?
    And the humourous mp3.....????
    Thanks!
    Wireless SB3, Denon DRA-F101, Mission M31 loudspeakers
    WinXP SP2 Slimserver, SMC WBR14g router
    http://www.last.fm/user/nicketynick/

Quote Originally Posted by nicketynick View Post
    <offtopic>
    </offtopic>
    Huh?
    flipflip, would you care to expand on this a bit?
    Save energy. Don't build more nuclear plants.

Is there even a practical way to do this?
    Yeah:
    http://www.pts-brixlegg.tsn.at/Energ...achstecker.gif

And the humourous mp3.....????
    Sorry, Swiss German only (which is what "Louise" understands AFAIK)..

But that was not the topic of the thread anyway.

flip ;-)
    Check out flipflip's Squeezebox Server On (some) DiskStation (SSODS) and on (some) TurboStations (SSOTS) and some other devices! Please do NOT file SSODS bugs in (SD's) bugzilla. Use the forums. And only the forums. Thanks.

Ah, I see where you're going..... all clocks should have kinetic energy generation/storage systems! (only partly kidding, I think!)
    I agree that TV's and monitors with Standby for quicker power-on are excessively wasteful, but I can't think of any other devices (at least in my house) that draw 'standby' energy, except for keeping time!
    Wireless SB3, Denon DRA-F101, Mission M31 loudspeakers
    WinXP SP2 Slimserver, SMC WBR14g router
    http://www.last.fm/user/nicketynick/

Dear Flip flip
    I am completely on your side concerning saving energy.

Concerning the energy consumption for the DS, Synology gives the following information:
    Power Consumption: 41W(Spin); 19W(Access); 16W(Idle); 8.6W(Hibernation)
    Of course it is not clear, if the energy used by the running HD (about an other 8-15 Watt) is included in this
    Now to come back to my question: how can you save energy with your DS107+ during night time, when you want to listen music in your bed via SB3 in the morning with out having to get out first and switch on the DS in the basement???
    I donĺt see any alternatives to the Hibernate modus (8.6W) here, do you?

ů and no, I am not familiar with crontab or any plug in what so ever.
    Any way, thank you for all your work with SSDS !

A very physical way to do it is to use a remote controlled outlets, like the stuff from Nexa:
    http://www.eurosource.se/catalog/index.php?cPath=51

But come to think about it, these produts consume batteries (in the remote), so it's not particularly ecological after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Louise Straus View Post
    Now to come back to my question: how can you save energy with your DS107+ during night time, when you want to listen music in your bed via SB3 in the morning with out having to get out first and switch on the DS in the basement???
    My approach would be to write a Plugin to Slimserver that allows setting a poweroff time. At that time Slimserver would issue the "powerdown" command that will power off the DS. Then only the idle power consumption of the power supply would remain.

Switching on would still relay on pressing the power button. My DS is not in the cellar, so no problem. But on the other hand, walking stairs lowers the health insurance rate and counts as workout ;-) No kids you can make go press the buttons? Or maybe train a dog to do that. I'm kidding.. =;->

I don't see any possibility that does not involve modifications to the DS. E.g. one could build a timer that presses that button at a certain time. Or a (radio) remote control which you could press from bed. An integrated and programmable timer would certainly be a nice feature of the DS. Or WOL would be great, even if that involves some standby power. Modern computers have both feature (although their standby power is probably higher than the DS's idle power).

That's just me who doesn't likes running or standby gear at home when he's not in, not only for saving energy. And I'm mostly only in to sleep

But I have to admit that running a DS 24/7 is already a huge improvment compared to a standard PC running all the time. However, the calculation is slightly more complicated if one considers the complete life-cycle of a product (e.g. energy needed to manufacture and recycle).

So for you the solution is probably to leave it running all the time. Maybe you find something else where you can save energy (e.g. lighting). Or maybe you could buy indulgence from myclimate.ch (not sure if they offer this for running PCs 24/7). ;->

I'm getting off-topic again..

Writing this plugin I talked about is on my list, but not on top. That's something which will come sooner or later. And it's not your solution anyway.

Regards,
    flip

Quote Originally Posted by dc11ab View Post
    A very physical way to do it is to use a remote controlled outlets, like the stuff from Nexa:
    http://www.eurosource.se/catalog/index.php?cPath=51

But come to think about it, these produts consume batteries (in the remote), so it's not particularly ecological after all...
    ...but it is, for now, the only solution to Louise's problem.

It would be easy to make battery-powered remotes more ecologically-friendly, integrate a hand-powered generator. Ever needed a flashlight, like when a power outage, and the batteries have gone flat? Our flashlights at home have those hand-driven generators, not much power is necessary for driving the lamps and charging the batteries...
    SB3-->Meridian G68-->NuForce Ref8.200W-->Bc Acoustique ACT A3

I'm not sure if the DS powers on with these. There is an auto-power-on option after an outage in the DS. I'm not sure if that also works after a clean shutdown.