Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • autopilot
    • Oct 2005

British music

Following on from a conversation in the pub last night, I was just wondering what people around the world thought of the British music scene and industry. What are people loving and hating right now?

We don't have the film industry like US has, but many people here still seem to perceive the UK as a music 'superpower'. Thoughts?
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)
  • peejay
    • Aug 2006

Depends

Originally posted by autopilot
    Following on from a conversation in the pub last night, I was just wondering what people around the world thought of the British music scene and industry. What are people loving and hating right now?

We don't have the film industry like US has, but many people here still seem to perceive the UK as a music 'superpower'. Thoughts?
    It depends upon when you mean. Right now? Not sure. But having trumped it with the Beatles - don't like their music but can't ignore the phenomenon - and the likes of the Rolling Stones, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Led Zepplin, The Who, Queen, Genesis, The Cure, Oasis etc etc, not much can't be said for British music. It tends to be more sophisticated than some (ignoring Queen's later work here), and looking at the list of artists above, something of a who's who of Rock & Roll. So if you'd like a pat on the back for that lot, you've got it.
    I've got a fever above my waist
    You got a squeeze box on your knee
    I know the truth is in between the 1st and 40th drink - Tori Amos
    Squeezebox Classic -> NAD T743 -> Krix Phoenix
    Oh, and a BOOM...

Comment

• autopilot
      • Oct 2005

Want i meant was, what do people think of the current state of play?

Personally i think most of the UK rock bands are a bit wet.
      Last edited by autopilot; 2007-05-27, 10:26.
      Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Comment

• peejay
        • Aug 2006

Ahh

Want i meant was, what do people think of the current state of play?
        Yes, agree my list was a bit dated, and that may just be the point. Here's what Noel Gallagher thinks.

Of course, that was 18 months ago. Things may have changed.
        Oh, and a BOOM...

Comment

• autopilot
          • Oct 2005

Yeah, but Noel Gallagher is almost universally considered a complete tit in the UK these days (although not as bad as his brother). I think there is a bit of sour grapes going on too as not many people are buying there music these days. I'm not saying i agree or disagree with him, but don't take anything he says seriously. They tended to have vendettas with just about every band who sells more records than them. What he says in that thread is thinly veiled modesty, it's like yeah there is no one as good as us but hey ho. But he is kind of right in a lot of respects, im just not sure he completely believes his own words.
          Last edited by autopilot; 2007-05-27, 10:36.
          Cheers, auto.

Comment

• amcluesent
            • Feb 2007

>Thoughts?<

Lily Allen is rubbish!

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
              • Oct 2005

We don't have the film industry like US has, but many people here still seem to perceive the UK as a music 'superpower'.
              I would tend to agree, although the state of things at the moment is almost as dismal as the rest of the industry is. However there are a couple of fairly current UK artists I can think of right now who are very, very good IMHO: gorillaz and Groove Armada. I'm sure I'll think of others, but that's two artists more than current American artists I like at the moment. ;-)
              Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• Siduhe
                • Jun 2005

Not everyone's cup of tea, but there is some amazing dubstep around right now (difficult to describe - kind of a drum 'n' bass / grime / breaks hybrid).

Check out Burial (no connection).

Listen to music from Burial like Archangel, UK & more. Find the latest tracks, albums, and images from Burial.
                Who am I on LAST.FM?
                "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• ModelCitizen
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Siduhe
                  Not everyone's cup of tea, but there is some amazing dubstep around right now (difficult to describe - kind of a drum 'n' bass / grime / breaks hybrid).
                  Check out Burial (no connection).
                  http://www.last.fm/music/Burial
                  Also try Boxcutter, album Oneiric.
                  Deep, dark, dirty and nasty.
                  MC
                  Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
                  Kitchen/outside: Chromecast audio, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
                  And... SB+, radios & tons of Chromecasts... all run from LMS and controlled via Material Skin on any nearby device and a couple of Touchs.

Comment

• adamslim
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ModelCitizen
                    Deep, dark, dirty and nasty.
                    Don't move into a sales career man...
                    Own music plus Qobuz, PC, UPNP/DLNA bridge, JRiver as digital XO
                    System 1: Lynx AES16, 5x SMSL DACs, various amps, 5 way horns
                    System 2: Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sixtant, Heybrook Sextet
                    3xBoom, 1xRadio

Comment

• ModelCitizen
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by adamslim
                      Don't move into a sales career man...
                      Bit late for that.
                      MC
                      Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
                      Kitchen/outside: Chromecast audio, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
                      And... SB+, radios & tons of Chromecasts... all run from LMS and controlled via Material Skin on any nearby device and a couple of Touchs.

Comment

• peejay
                        • Aug 2006

Agreed

Originally posted by Mark Lanctot
                        I would tend to agree, although the state of things at the moment is almost as dismal as the rest of the industry is. However there are a couple of fairly current UK artists I can think of right now who are very, very good IMHO: gorillaz and Groove Armada. I'm sure I'll think of others, but that's two artists more than current American artists I like at the moment. ;-)
                        I certainly second the recommendation of Groove Armada.

I also second that Lily Allen is rubbish. :-)
                        Oh, and a BOOM...

Comment

• autopilot
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by peejay
                          Of course, that was 18 months ago. Things may have changed.
                          Yeah, 18 months ago Coldplay were kings of the hill (Who the Oasis boys hate with a passion and publicly slagged off many times). I respect Coldplay and enjoy some of their stuff, but i would describe it as 'nice' at best (although they were brilliant live). Trouble was that loads of dreary groups tried to follow in their footsteps. There just was not of enough room for so many bands of that genre, and almost all of them were incredibly bland and boring with none of the musical skill of song writing talent that made Coldplay what they are.

Then the whole young male solo singer with a guitar singing love songs while sitting on a stool thing came along. For some strange reason James Blunt managed to crawl his way to the top. Bloody horrible and everytime i hear his horrible songs i want to pull my ears off. Yet somehow he managed to get to #1 is the US charts, whats that all about when so much other good stuff is coming out of the UK? I'm guess the US charts are also based on single sales, and most singles are bought by the young teens. Which is why the UK charts as no real parallel to what's actually happing musically in the UK. I guess it's the same everywhere?

Now it seems you can't go anywhere without hearing the current biggest UK band (biggest UK band in the UK anyway) - The Arctic Monkeys. I'm not a massive fan, but like some of their stuff and well respect them. How are they going down elsewhere? Personally i think they will be another victim of their own success here in the UK, people will get sick of hearing them and they will fade away like Coldplay seem to be at the moment.

As for Lilly Allen, totally agree. Amy Winehouse seeing to be the current top UK female singer right now, much better.

More of an electronica man myself though, thankfully we still produce the best electronica
                          Last edited by autopilot; 2007-05-28, 10:44.
                          Cheers, auto.

Comment

• topa
                            • Aug 2006

I think beyond Britpop there are many new impulses constantly coming from the UK. Not revolutionary, but nevertheless new. Gnarls Barkley (although not british) shot up the UK charts first for example. British EBTG and Tracey Thorn's new solo Album or MIKA also come from a different angle. (Both the latter tend towards an eighties revival by the way...uhoh!)

If it's in the charts in the UK, it'll pop up somewhere else within 6 months too.
                            Last edited by topa; 2007-05-28, 13:01.

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by topa
                              If it's in the charts in the UK, it'll pop up somewhere else within 6 months too.
                              This brings up another point - the UK seems to lead the way musically. They are quite cutting-edge and avant-garde.

I'm thinking of new musical concepts that have emerged from the UK over the years: metal (Black Sabbath), punk (Sex Pistols), "new wave" (Joy Division, New Order), and, of course, as autopilot mentions, techno (808 State, The Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Fatboy Slim, The Prodigy).
                              Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

Working...