Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: British music

British music

Following on from a conversation in the pub last night, I was just wondering what people around the world thought of the British music scene and industry. What are people loving and hating right now?

We don't have the film industry like US has, but many people here still seem to perceive the UK as a music 'superpower'. Thoughts?
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Depends

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    Following on from a conversation in the pub last night, I was just wondering what people around the world thought of the British music scene and industry. What are people loving and hating right now?

We don't have the film industry like US has, but many people here still seem to perceive the UK as a music 'superpower'. Thoughts?
    It depends upon when you mean. Right now? Not sure. But having trumped it with the Beatles - don't like their music but can't ignore the phenomenon - and the likes of the Rolling Stones, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Led Zepplin, The Who, Queen, Genesis, The Cure, Oasis etc etc, not much can't be said for British music. It tends to be more sophisticated than some (ignoring Queen's later work here), and looking at the list of artists above, something of a who's who of Rock & Roll. So if you'd like a pat on the back for that lot, you've got it.
    I've got a fever above my waist
    You got a squeeze box on your knee
    I know the truth is in between the 1st and 40th drink - Tori Amos
    Squeezebox Classic -> NAD T743 -> Krix Phoenix
    Oh, and a BOOM...

Want i meant was, what do people think of the current state of play?

Personally i think most of the UK rock bands are a bit wet.
    Last edited by autopilot; 2007-05-27 at 02:26.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Ahh

Want i meant was, what do people think of the current state of play?
    Yes, agree my list was a bit dated, and that may just be the point. Here's what Noel Gallagher thinks.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Noel-...ic-10321.shtml
    Of course, that was 18 months ago. Things may have changed.
    I've got a fever above my waist
    You got a squeeze box on your knee
    I know the truth is in between the 1st and 40th drink - Tori Amos
    Squeezebox Classic -> NAD T743 -> Krix Phoenix
    Oh, and a BOOM...

Yeah, but Noel Gallagher is almost universally considered a complete tit in the UK these days (although not as bad as his brother). I think there is a bit of sour grapes going on too as not many people are buying there music these days. I'm not saying i agree or disagree with him, but don't take anything he says seriously. They tended to have vendettas with just about every band who sells more records than them. What he says in that thread is thinly veiled modesty, it's like yeah there is no one as good as us but hey ho. But he is kind of right in a lot of respects, im just not sure he completely believes his own words.
    Last edited by autopilot; 2007-05-27 at 02:36.
    Cheers, auto.

>Thoughts?<

Lily Allen is rubbish!

We don't have the film industry like US has, but many people here still seem to perceive the UK as a music 'superpower'.
    I would tend to agree, although the state of things at the moment is almost as dismal as the rest of the industry is. However there are a couple of fairly current UK artists I can think of right now who are very, very good IMHO: gorillaz and Groove Armada. I'm sure I'll think of others, but that's two artists more than current American artists I like at the moment. ;-)
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Not everyone's cup of tea, but there is some amazing dubstep around right now (difficult to describe - kind of a drum 'n' bass / grime / breaks hybrid).

Check out Burial (no connection).

http://www.last.fm/music/Burial

Quote Originally Posted by Siduhe View Post
    Not everyone's cup of tea, but there is some amazing dubstep around right now (difficult to describe - kind of a drum 'n' bass / grime / breaks hybrid).
    Check out Burial (no connection).
    http://www.last.fm/music/Burial
    Also try Boxcutter, album Oneiric.
    Deep, dark, dirty and nasty.
    MC
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    Deep, dark, dirty and nasty.
    Don't move into a sales career man...
    SB3, Dac-in-the-Box, Sony VFET, Snell Type Cs
    Boom x 2, Radio