Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox v3 spontaneously reboots

Sometimes while I am playing music (flacs) on my wired squeezebox v3 (SS 6.5.1, firm v72) it spontaneously reboots. Meaning the "SLIMDEVICES" logo shows up, and it automatically reconnects to the network. It then picks up on the music where it left off.

Is this a known issue, or have others experienced this too?
    Last edited by MrD; 2007-05-06 at 10:06.
    -MrD
    ===================
    1 Transporter
    2 Squeezeboxen v3
    1 Squeezebox v1
    1 SliMP3
    Linux x86-64 SlimServer 6.5.1

I had the same problem. I upgraded to the latest server version (6.5.2007) and uploaded the latest firware to SB3 - problem fixed!

link to download the 6.5.2 version: http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads...ly/latest/6.5/

Same problem here....

I started getting spontaneous reboots as soon as I updated my SB3 to SS 6.5.1, firm v72 a while ago. The only solution I found was to boot my Mac from a backup running SS 6.5.0, then "updating" the SB3 firmware back to v64.

After reading this thread, I downloaded and installed SS 6.5.2007 and updated firmware. If anything, the problem was worse - the SB3 wouldn't play for more than a minute. Then a couple of flashes in the display, and the unit either rebooted or went completely dead (requiring a power down). Once it locked up into a scrolling flashing display and spewed nasty sounds to my audio equipment - scary.

I'm back on SS 6.5.0 and listening happily again. Any thoughts?

Rick

Scrolling flashing flatline reboot hell

RE: "Then a couple of flashes in the display, and the unit either rebooted or went completely dead (requiring a power down). Once it locked up into a scrolling flashing display and spewed nasty sounds to my audio equipment - scary." -- RICK
    --------

I have the same problems and have done the same things to correct it, however my SB3 is still out of commission. The worst part is I did all this voluntarily. It was working perfectly well and I thought I should proactively upgrade the firmware. Bad move. All my attempts to go back to the older versions failed to correct the problem, which makes me think it is no longer a software issue but a hardware flaw. It may not have started out this way but it's now acting like fried electronics.

Problem details:

- SB3 reboots with no consistent pattern. Sometimes it plays for a couple of minutes then crashes, most times it plays for a couple of seconds then crashes. Occaisionally it will play for 2 or 3 songs before rebooting. It NEVER plays without crashing for more than 10 minutes.

- The crash behaviour is scary: there is crackling, hissing pops that are transmitted through the audio as the screen shuts off then a pulse of bright light wipes across the screen like the flatline on an oscilliscope. Then it reboots, and repeats, and repeats ...

Of course all this happened the week my 1 year warranty expired. Naturally I thought it might be my wireless network but I have ruled this out after testing and repositioning it next to the wireless access point. The signal is strong and all my other devices are functioning well. I have not tried it wired yet.

If anyone knows of a fix let me know. Otherwise, this looks like a dead unit and I will have to search for a more reliable way to push my mp3 audio files to my amp.

Revert back to firmware 64

This fixed the issue I had with the SB3 rebooting by itself. Others have reported the same older firmware restores stability

What version 64

By version 64 do you mean version slimserver 6.3? I am running this on Windows XP s2 and I don't believe there was a v6.4 released for this. I think it went straight to v6.5

In any event, I reverted back to 6.3 and the problem persists. I also tried it connected by ethernet and this changed nothing.

I then reinstalled 6.5.2 latest build and this is now worse. It still crashes after 3 seconds, flashes a pulse of light from the left side of the screen to right, then hisses loud feedback noise for 3-30 seconds before it reboots and repeats.

Losing patience and hope with this unit. I can think of better ways to spend my time than this.

Quote Originally Posted by juck View Post
    By version 64 do you mean version slimserver 6.3? I am running this on Windows XP s2 and I don't believe there was a v6.4 released for this. I think it went straight to v6.5
    He meant firmware 64. Contained in SlimServer 6.5.0? Yes, there was no 6.4.0 as you can see here:

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads

Losing patience and hope with this unit. I can think of better ways to spend my time than this.
    It sounds like you have a hardware problem. Contact support at slimdevices dot com.
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Sold: SB3, Duet

I have not had a reboot since firmware v81, but then I have not really stressed it too much.

I also use strictly flac files. I also use the analog outs.

I also recompress flacs on the fly to zero compression, due to 24bit 96khz files in my library.
    -MrD
    ===================
    1 Transporter
    2 Squeezeboxen v3
    1 Squeezebox v1
    1 SliMP3
    Linux x86-64 SlimServer 6.5.1

Firmware revert worked

I had the same problem -- specifically with the same intermittent symptoms juck mentions in this thread (hissing, popping, bright light on display).

I was running server 6.5.4, firmware 81, Intel Mac. I tried switching to 7.0a beta, 6.5.3, 6.5.2, and 6.5.1. I tried a wired connection. Nothing worked. Factory resets and a reset holding the "1" key didn't work either. My SB would always crash and reboot mid song within 10 minutes - then it would either continue where it left off or get stuck at the beginning of the song where it left off.

I downloaded the 6.5.0 version with firmware v64 (pre Logitech) -- works like a charm! Something strange with a firmware change is clearly causing the issue.

Obviously, running old firmware is not ideal for numerous reasons -- hopefully the development team can figure this out and address it in the next firmware release.

Thanks all for your help!

incorrect firmware versions

Firmware Version 64 seems to be the most stable version.

I tried several other version (pre versions, older versions) but however without success! The Squeezebox 3 spontaneously reboots after a few minutes (different times), again and again.

It happened also with wireless or cable connection and with squeezenetwork or slimserver!

Now I'm on 6.5.0 (Firmware 64) as described in this thread without any problems.

@Slimdevices/Logitech Development
    I hope this problem solved with newer versions!
    Hopefully in Version 7.0!!!

Thanks and greetings from Switzerland.
    Gautscho