X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Apr 2007

Browse Library - Genre questions

Hello.

I dont even have my squeezebox yet but have set up the server software and scanned my tunes. I am not sure if this is supposed to work or not - but when I browse by Genre, then select an Artist within that Genre - it lists all of my tracks! All 4000 of them under a given Genre/Artist!

This cant be right? So are you not able to see the individual tracks under a Genre and then an Artist listed under that Genre?

Thanks for you responses!
    Rotel RSP-1068, Rotel 1060 DVD, Rotel RCC-1055, Rotel 1095 Amp, Rotel 956 Amp, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Rotel RX-1052, Rotel RCC-1055, Klipsch CF-1s, Audiosource Sub, Squeezebox 3

Squeezebox "Bedroom" Boom, Controller
    http://www.last.fm/user/Club1820/
  • adamslim
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Club1820
    Hello.

I dont even have my squeezebox yet but have set up the server software and scanned my tunes. I am not sure if this is supposed to work or not - but when I browse by Genre, then select an Artist within that Genre - it lists all of my tracks! All 4000 of them under a given Genre/Artist!

This cant be right? So are you not able to see the individual tracks under a Genre and then an Artist listed under that Genre?

Thanks for you responses!
    Yeah it should do what you expect - only show the artists in that genre.

- check your tags using MP3Tag
    - under 'server settings - behaviour' there is an option for what to show based on genre browsing, but it seems to make no difference to me. Anyway, it should never do what you are seeing. So it's a tag thing.

HTH

Adam
    Own music plus Qobuz, PC, UPNP/DLNA bridge, JRiver as digital XO
    System 1: Lynx AES16, 5x SMSL DACs, various amps, 5 way horns
    System 2: Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sixtant, Heybrook Sextet
    3xBoom, 1xRadio

Comment

• Ross L
      bum
      • Mar 2006

Probably this.
      Ross L

Comment

• SteveEast
        • Feb 2006

"You are not authorized to access bug #4824."

Steve.
        Home: 3*SB3 (1 dead), 1*Touch, 1*Boom, 5*Radio, iPeng/SqueezePad on 2G iPad, SbS 7.5.1 on Acer Aspire easyStore H340 WHS.
        Cabin: 1*Touch running 7.5.0 on itself with 32GB SDHC card.

Comment

• Ross L
          bum
          • Mar 2006

Sorry about that, I forgot that bug is viewable only by admin and developers. I'll summarize:

Bug 4824: behavior setting: filter genres at album & track level broken.

It seems the filtering behavioral options is broken.

It seems to me that selecting the option "Show any tracks & albums for an
          artist" (within a genre selection) should show exactly that, any tracks and
          albums by said artists.

Reproduction steps summarized:

Server settings -> behavior -> filter genres at the album & track level -> Show
          any tracks & albums for an artist.

Browse -> Genres -> (choose a genre) -> click all albums -> click all artists.
          SlimServer doesn't show all tracks and albums in said genre, it shows all
          albums and artists in the library regardless of genre.
          Ross L

Comment

• Club1820
            • Apr 2007

Ross, so are you saying that yes, it is a bug that I can't see the tracks listed under a given Artist when browsing by Genre?
            Rotel RSP-1068, Rotel 1060 DVD, Rotel RCC-1055, Rotel 1095 Amp, Rotel 956 Amp, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Ross L
              bum
              • Mar 2006

Ross, so are you saying that yes, it is a bug that I can't see the tracks listed under a given Artist when browsing by Genre?
              No. In the original post on this thread you mentioned that when you browse -> genre -> artist, you're seeing your whole music library rather than just that artists music, which is bug 4824. The bug is currently open and not yet resolved. The target milestone is 7.0.
              Ross L

Comment

• Club1820
                • Apr 2007

OK. So I think you are confirming my question. ??? Currently you are unable to view a given artist's tracks under a given genre when first browsing by genre.

So for example, If I wanted to view Johnny Cash's tracks that are tagged as Country Genre, I can't until this bug is fixed with 7.0. ???

When will 7.0 come out?

If this is correct - wow. This is how I listen to my music. I will select a genre first, and then select tracks under that genre. Or just shuffle the genre.

Anyway - I hope this gets fixed soon. Probably wouldnt have purchase the squeezebox if I had know about this before-hand.

My squeezebox is due for delivery Friday. Can the bug be fixed by then? lol

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

• erland
                  • Jan 2006

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't bug 4824 only refer the the case when you doesn't select a specific artist.

In my setup I have:
                  Server Settings->Behaviour->Filter genres at the album & track level = "Only show tracks or albums matching the selected genre for an artist"

With this configuration I can browse to:
                  - Genres/Country/All Albums (Which shows all albums in the Country genre)
                  - Genres/Country/Johnny Cash (Which shows all albums in the Country genre by Johnny Cash)
                  - Genres/Country/Johnny Cash/I Walk The Line (Which shows all songs in the Country genre by Johnny Cash from the album "I Walk The Line")

If I hit play on "Genres/Country/All Albums" it will play all Country albums.

If I hit play on "Genres/Country/Johnny Cash" it will play all albums by Johnny Cash within the Country genre.

If I hit play on "Genres/Country/Johnny Cash/I Walk The Line" it will play all tracks by Johnny Cash within the Country genre from the album "I Walk The Line".

Isn't this the behaviour you are seeing ?
                  Are you expecting a different behaviour compared to this ?
                  Erland Lindmark (My homepage)
                  Developer of many plugins/applets
                  Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Comment

• Ross L
                    bum
                    • Mar 2006

Erland, you are correctly describing bug 4824, it is an issue when you browse -> genre -> artist, and yes you must select an artist to reproduce that bug. However, this is not what Club1820 *originally* described.

...when I browse by Genre, then select an Artist within that Genre - it lists all of my tracks! All 4000 of them under a given Genre/Artist!
                    Erland, it seems you're not seeing bug 4824, interesting. What version of SlimServer are you running?
                    Ross L

Comment

• erland
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ross L
                      Erland, it seems you're not seeing bug 4824, interesting. What version of SlimServer are you running?
                      SlimServer 6.5.1 on Ubuntu Linux
                      Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Comment

• Club1820
                        • Apr 2007

Erland, your description is exactly what I am expecting to happen when I browse Genre/Artist. List all the tracks for a given artist that pertain to that given genre.

I figured out the problem though. It turns out that for the majority of my tracks - I don't have the Album field entered. Since every available way to sort the tracks involves "Album", it then lists every track that doesnt have an album if you choose an artist that doesnt have that field populated.

Here is what it says if I choose an artist that doesnt have album info on its tracks : "1 album" and then it lists EVERY SINGLE TRACK that doesnt have the album field populated in the Tag.

So, is there a way around this? Probably not because the "Album" field is present in all of the options of how to sort.

Anyone have any Ideas - other than going back and entering the album info for 4000 tracks! lol.

Perhaps Slimdevices can create additional ways of sorting? Or having a user defined way of sorting? Perhaps in the next release?

Comment

• Ross L
                          bum
                          • Mar 2006

There are many utilities for correcting your tags, I'd suggest checking out the tagging forum. Probably you'll be interested in Tag & Rename.
                          Ross L

Comment

• erland
                            • Jan 2006

So, is there a way around this? Probably not because the "Album" field is present in all of the options of how to sort.

Anyone have any Ideas - other than going back and entering the album info for 4000 tracks! lol.

Perhaps Slimdevices can create additional ways of sorting? Or having a user defined way of sorting? Perhaps in the next release?
                            If you are willing to install 3rd party plugins, the Custom Browse plugin makes it possible to create a Genres menu. I think it might work correctly in your setup, but I am not completely sure. Anyway, if it doesn't work it should be possible to create a menu with it that works as you like.

But I would still suggest that you enter album information in your tracks. Most tagging tools make it possible to write tags to several files simultaneously. If you have your music files structured by albums on the harddrive you should be able to select all files for a specific album and set the album tag on the files in one operation. This way you just have to do it once for each album and you probably have less than 4000 albums. I'm guessing that you will get all sorts of strange behaviours in SlimServer if you don't have album tags on most of your files.

Comment

• Club1820
                              • Apr 2007

Thanks for the suggestions.

I wouldnt know the albums anyway to be able to populate this field for them. My library is sorted by Genre. I have directories for each Genre only. I have very few directories set up by Album.

I guess I can tag the tracks the same as the genre. ? All Jazz tracks would have the album field populated with "Jazz". then when I browse Genre Jazz, It should list the artists and only those tracks that are in that genre and have an album of "Jazz". Does that make sense?

Well, anyway. Its a thought. will have to think about how I am going to do this. But will not be able to correctly tag the album info for all my tracks.

Will also try the plugin you suggested.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...