Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross L View Post
    Erland, it seems you're not seeing bug 4824, interesting. What version of SlimServer are you running?
    SlimServer 6.5.1 on Ubuntu Linux
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Erland, your description is exactly what I am expecting to happen when I browse Genre/Artist. List all the tracks for a given artist that pertain to that given genre.

I figured out the problem though. It turns out that for the majority of my tracks - I don't have the Album field entered. Since every available way to sort the tracks involves "Album", it then lists every track that doesnt have an album if you choose an artist that doesnt have that field populated.

Here is what it says if I choose an artist that doesnt have album info on its tracks : "1 album" and then it lists EVERY SINGLE TRACK that doesnt have the album field populated in the Tag.

So, is there a way around this? Probably not because the "Album" field is present in all of the options of how to sort.

Anyone have any Ideas - other than going back and entering the album info for 4000 tracks! lol.

Perhaps Slimdevices can create additional ways of sorting? Or having a user defined way of sorting? Perhaps in the next release?

There are many utilities for correcting your tags, I'd suggest checking out the tagging forum. Probably you'll be interested in Tag & Rename.
    Ross L

Quote Originally Posted by Club1820 View Post
    So, is there a way around this? Probably not because the "Album" field is present in all of the options of how to sort.

Anyone have any Ideas - other than going back and entering the album info for 4000 tracks! lol.

Perhaps Slimdevices can create additional ways of sorting? Or having a user defined way of sorting? Perhaps in the next release?
    If you are willing to install 3rd party plugins, the Custom Browse plugin makes it possible to create a Genres menu. I think it might work correctly in your setup, but I am not completely sure. Anyway, if it doesn't work it should be possible to create a menu with it that works as you like.

But I would still suggest that you enter album information in your tracks. Most tagging tools make it possible to write tags to several files simultaneously. If you have your music files structured by albums on the harddrive you should be able to select all files for a specific album and set the album tag on the files in one operation. This way you just have to do it once for each album and you probably have less than 4000 albums. I'm guessing that you will get all sorts of strange behaviours in SlimServer if you don't have album tags on most of your files.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I wouldnt know the albums anyway to be able to populate this field for them. My library is sorted by Genre. I have directories for each Genre only. I have very few directories set up by Album.

I guess I can tag the tracks the same as the genre. ? All Jazz tracks would have the album field populated with "Jazz". then when I browse Genre Jazz, It should list the artists and only those tracks that are in that genre and have an album of "Jazz". Does that make sense?

Well, anyway. Its a thought. will have to think about how I am going to do this. But will not be able to correctly tag the album info for all my tracks.

Will also try the plugin you suggested.

Thanks again!

I believe tag and rename can still fix this for you, you might want to check it out. It should be able to fix your tags based on the online db.
    Ross L

Quote Originally Posted by Ross L View Post
    I believe tag and rename can still fix this for you, you might want to check it out. It should be able to fix your tags based on the online db.
    Ross, thanks. Wasnt aware of that. Will try the program. Although this will help, the majority of my library is remixes that may or may not have been on full cd/albums. But hey, even if it knocks off 25% that would be an improvement.

Thanks!