Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Browse Library - Genre questions

Hello.

I dont even have my squeezebox yet but have set up the server software and scanned my tunes. I am not sure if this is supposed to work or not - but when I browse by Genre, then select an Artist within that Genre - it lists all of my tracks! All 4000 of them under a given Genre/Artist!

This cant be right? So are you not able to see the individual tracks under a Genre and then an Artist listed under that Genre?

Thanks for you responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Club1820 View Post
    Hello.

I dont even have my squeezebox yet but have set up the server software and scanned my tunes. I am not sure if this is supposed to work or not - but when I browse by Genre, then select an Artist within that Genre - it lists all of my tracks! All 4000 of them under a given Genre/Artist!

This cant be right? So are you not able to see the individual tracks under a Genre and then an Artist listed under that Genre?

Thanks for you responses!
    Yeah it should do what you expect - only show the artists in that genre.

- check your tags using MP3Tag
    - under 'server settings - behaviour' there is an option for what to show based on genre browsing, but it seems to make no difference to me. Anyway, it should never do what you are seeing. So it's a tag thing.

HTH

Adam
    SB3, Dac-in-the-Box, Sony VFET, Snell Type Cs
    Boom x 2, Radio

Ross L

"You are not authorized to access bug #4824."

Steve.

Sorry about that, I forgot that bug is viewable only by admin and developers. I'll summarize:

Bug 4824: behavior setting: filter genres at album & track level broken.

It seems the filtering behavioral options is broken.

It seems to me that selecting the option "Show any tracks & albums for an
    artist" (within a genre selection) should show exactly that, any tracks and
    albums by said artists.

Reproduction steps summarized:

Server settings -> behavior -> filter genres at the album & track level -> Show
    any tracks & albums for an artist.

Browse -> Genres -> (choose a genre) -> click all albums -> click all artists.
    SlimServer doesn't show all tracks and albums in said genre, it shows all
    albums and artists in the library regardless of genre.
    Ross L

Ross, so are you saying that yes, it is a bug that I can't see the tracks listed under a given Artist when browsing by Genre?

Ross, so are you saying that yes, it is a bug that I can't see the tracks listed under a given Artist when browsing by Genre?
    No. In the original post on this thread you mentioned that when you browse -> genre -> artist, you're seeing your whole music library rather than just that artists music, which is bug 4824. The bug is currently open and not yet resolved. The target milestone is 7.0.
    Ross L

OK. So I think you are confirming my question. ??? Currently you are unable to view a given artist's tracks under a given genre when first browsing by genre.

So for example, If I wanted to view Johnny Cash's tracks that are tagged as Country Genre, I can't until this bug is fixed with 7.0. ???

When will 7.0 come out?

If this is correct - wow. This is how I listen to my music. I will select a genre first, and then select tracks under that genre. Or just shuffle the genre.

Anyway - I hope this gets fixed soon. Probably wouldnt have purchase the squeezebox if I had know about this before-hand.

My squeezebox is due for delivery Friday. Can the bug be fixed by then? lol

Thanks for your responses.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't bug 4824 only refer the the case when you doesn't select a specific artist.

In my setup I have:
    Server Settings->Behaviour->Filter genres at the album & track level = "Only show tracks or albums matching the selected genre for an artist"

With this configuration I can browse to:
    - Genres/Country/All Albums (Which shows all albums in the Country genre)
    - Genres/Country/Johnny Cash (Which shows all albums in the Country genre by Johnny Cash)
    - Genres/Country/Johnny Cash/I Walk The Line (Which shows all songs in the Country genre by Johnny Cash from the album "I Walk The Line")

If I hit play on "Genres/Country/All Albums" it will play all Country albums.

If I hit play on "Genres/Country/Johnny Cash" it will play all albums by Johnny Cash within the Country genre.

If I hit play on "Genres/Country/Johnny Cash/I Walk The Line" it will play all tracks by Johnny Cash within the Country genre from the album "I Walk The Line".

Isn't this the behaviour you are seeing ?
    Are you expecting a different behaviour compared to this ?
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Erland, you are correctly describing bug 4824, it is an issue when you browse -> genre -> artist, and yes you must select an artist to reproduce that bug. However, this is not what Club1820 *originally* described.

...when I browse by Genre, then select an Artist within that Genre - it lists all of my tracks! All 4000 of them under a given Genre/Artist!
    Erland, it seems you're not seeing bug 4824, interesting. What version of SlimServer are you running?
    Ross L