Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post

What is the value on your system ?

Sorry, but what do you mean with value?

Run regedit, navigate down the values just like a directory using theLeft hand side pane - and the key value I posted .
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters

When you get to "Parameters" you will see a list of values in the Right hand pane - one of which will be DhcpNameServer.

On my system it has the value "213.94.190.194 213.94.190.236" which are the DNS servers of my ISP.

If you haven't used Regedit before - BE VERY CAREFUL not to delete or change any values - stick to Left Hand side Tree pane.

Here it is:

83.255.245.10. 192.168.0.1

The DNS code also looks at the SearchList, Domain and DhcpDomain entries in the Parameters list. On my system these are blank and DhcpDomain doesn't exist so I don't think these are significant.

Your problem is strange - the main issue why opening UDP port 3483 fails is unclear and the error message "Unknown error" isn't helpful.

I'm out of ideas at the moment.

The DNS code also looks at the SearchList, Domain and DhcpDomain entries in the Parameters list. On my system these are blank and DhcpDomain doesn't exist so I don't think these are significant.

Your problem is strange - the main issue why opening UDP port 3483 fails is unclear and the error message "Unknown error" isn't helpful.

I'm out of ideas at the moment.
    Thanks for trying to solve the problem! I appreciate it!

It's really strange - to my knowledge nothing has been changed in hard/software and I haven't been messing around with register/firewalls/anti-virus etc. Everything has been running smooth since september...

From Microsoft KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259 about how to detect corruption of network stack Winsock2 - this doesn't look to be the your case but it may be worth while doing a quick check.

Method 2: Use the Msinfo32 program
    Note Use this method only if you do not have a Windows XP Setup CD and you do not have Support Tools installed.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type Msinfo32, and then click OK.
    2. Expand Components, expand Network, and then click Protocol.
    3. You will have ten sections under Protocol. The section headings will include the following names if the Winsock2 key is undamaged:
    • MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]
    • MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]
    • RSVP UDP Service Provider
    • RSVP TCP Service Provider
    • MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...
    If the names are anything different from those in this list, the Winsock2 key is corrupted, or you have a third-party add-on, such as proxy software, installed.
    If you have a third-party add-on installed, the name of the add-on will replace the letters "MSAFD" in the list.

If there are more than ten sections in the list, you have third-party additions installed.

If there are fewer than ten sections, there is information missing.

Edit:

I was lead here by this site
    http://www.cit.cornell.edu/computer/...r.html#connect

because it has a symptom "You receive socket errors from network applications that used to work before you used the spyware removal tools"

I have 16 sections, all in all, without the name MSAFD.

I ran WinsockXPfix earlier today.
    Last edited by pelle3; 2007-03-13 at 17:36.

The additional entries warrant checking out.
    Have you run any anti-spyware programs ?

The additional entries warrant checking out.
    Have you run any anti-spyware programs ?
    Yep, "ad-aware". ═ got to go now but will look into it later.
    A big thanks again for all your help. Maybe the problem is located now and...hopefully able to be solved.

Cheers,
    Pelle

Quote Originally Posted by pelle3 View Post
    Yep, "ad-aware". ═ got to go now but will look into it later.
    A big thanks again for all your help. Maybe the problem is located now and...hopefully able to be solved.

Cheers,
    Pelle
    I was wrong. The MSAFD sections were all there. I guess we can rule that out now.