Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Slimserver with Squeezebox3 installed on Linkstation Pro (Freelink) !!!

Wow, this was a *really* cumbersome process but now finally it worked. After getting stuck within the process several times now I am listing to native OGG streams streamed from my LS Pro :-)

I don't remember exactly, but what I basically did was:
    1) use the noarch rpm and install that on freelink / Debian (apt-get install slimserver does not work because slimdevices does not yet provide an "arm" package9
    2) install mysql server + fix /etc/slimserver.conf according to the wiki page "running with existing mysql instance"
    3) install compress and yaml manually
    4) use the debian startup script #3 from the wiki (I had to change quite some stuff in there)
    5) fix remaining permissions

Watcher of the Windows build
    livestock, I'm pretty sure that installing Slimserver is a bit more complex than the 5 steps you mentioned above given that thre is no slimserver ARM package. Can you provide us with detailed steps so that mortals like myself can try to install it?

A couple questions.

1. Did you have to install a separate instance of mysql?
    2. Now that you have it up and running... How's the performance? how long does it take to index your library?
    3. You mentioned that you're streaming OGG... have you tried streaming FLAC? I imagine that streaming anything else that requires the server to convert it before streaming will tax the CPU quite a bit.
    4. What about plug-ins?
    5. What about the web interface performance?

In a separate tread you replied to my post regarding the announcement of the Kurobox Pro. Beside cost, in a few words, what would be the advantages of using a Kurobox instead of an off the shelf Linkstation PRO... if any?

I'm sorry about all these questions but I found this very exciting... I have always been reluctant about running the slimserver on a NAS given the restriction of CPU speed and RAM capacity found in most small NAS.
    Last edited by tamanaco; 2007-02-19 at 11:12.

Slimserver with Squeezebox3 installed on Linkstation Pro

I am so far from having the knowledge about this that you guys do, but...

I was just reading up on running SlimServer on Buffalo Linkstation and there are detailed instructions here:
    http://tinyurl.com/2fbn2j

I am not even going to try this because I have no programming skills and I'd probably fry my Linkstation.

I'm wondering if you think it's easier than it looks on paper. These instructions are daunting!

If I don't run SlimServer on my Linkstation, would you recommend running it on an old computer that stays on all the time, or do I need to run it on a newer PC with more firepower? Will I see better performance this way?

Thanks,
    Andrew B.

I have a fairly complete set of instructions written for getting SlimServer 6.5.x running on the Terastation Pro. Send me a private message with your e-mail and I will send it to you.

Be forwarned - it is over 10 pages.

I FINALLY GOT IT. I had the problem that mysql was crashing all the time. What to do:
    1. downloaded 5.0.36 from mysql
    2. configures + make + make install
    3. copy mysqld: cp /usr/local/libexec/mysqld /usr/sbin

Quote Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
    livestock, I'm pretty sure that installing Slimserver is a bit more complex than the 5 steps you mentioned above given that thre is no slimserver ARM package. Can you provide us with detailed steps so that mortals like myself can try to install it?

A couple questions.

2. Now that you have it up and running... How's the performance? how long does it take to index your library?
    3. You mentioned that you're streaming OGG... have you tried streaming FLAC? I imagine that streaming anything else that requires the server to convert it before streaming will tax the CPU quite a bit.
    4. What about plug-ins?

In a separate tread you replied to my post regarding the announcement of the Kurobox Pro. Beside cost, in a few words, what would be the advantages of using a Kurobox instead of an off the shelf Linkstation PRO... if any?

I'm sorry about all these questions but I found this very exciting... I have always been reluctant about running the slimserver on a NAS given the restriction of CPU speed and RAM capacity found in most small NAS.
    a reply to your questions "tamanaco":

a. finally now I don't think that installing slimserver is that complex anymore - this damn mysql issue took me most time, not installing slimserver!!!
    basically what I did IIRC
    - downloading deb from
    wgeth ttp://debian.slimdevices.com/pool/main/s/slimserver/slimserver_6.5.2_all.deb
    - dpkg -i slimserver_6.5.2_all.deb
    - meet all dependencies by wget'ing from the respective lib directories: http://debian.slimdevices.com/pool/main/
    (wget + dpkg -i)
    - install mysql via apt-get: apt-get install mysql-server-5.0
    Now slimserver should be installable with "dpkg -i".
    After that I started it wiht /etc/init.d/slimserver start and checked that mysqld had been started
    - then I downloaded and compile mysql myself (described above) and overwrote the mysqld binary

- I have overwritte slimserver's mysql binary
    - everything is pretty fast, I still have to count though
    - as far as I know from 6.5.1 the firmware knows how to stream flac, ogg, wma and mp3 natively - I only tried mp3 and ogg though, which is pretty low on CPU
    4. What about plug-ins?
    - standard plug-ins work, as I am basically new to slimserver I still have to evaluate which ones to install
    - pretty good, now issues there

b. I thought the kurobox pro is of the same design, not sure though
    c. answered everything! runs decent on my lspro with arm9 + 128meg

Slimserver on Linkstation Pro

Thought if I waited long enough someone would get slimserver working on a Linkstation Pro!!

Trouble is my experience with the Linkstation Pro really goes no further than upgrading the Buffalo firmware...

However would love to free Slimserver from the bounds of my PC. So almost begging someone to write a step by step guide of how us novices can achieve this with the Linkstation Pro.

Would there be any way of flashing a Linkstation Pro with firmware which already has Slimserver installed and configured?!

Any help most appreciated...

If you don't mind having a slightly older version (6.3 i believe) just change you apt-get libs to the unstable links and type

apt-get install slimserver

job done.

Quote Originally Posted by stevos View Post
    If you don't mind having a slightly older version (6.3 i believe) just change you apt-get libs to the unstable links and type

apt-get install slimserver

job done.
    Thanks for this. I was trying to install SS onto my Debain flashed LS Pro yesterday before I realised that there was no arm package, so this is going to be useful.

However, how exactly do I change my apt-get libs to the unstable links? I thought these were pointing at SS 7.0a1?

6.3 was not an option for me, because it does not stream ogg natively... sound is crippled all the time