Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

WAV tag editor. Experts on Wave files only, please

After a long search and struggle I have been able to prove that Slimserver DOES read the ID3v1 tags from Wav files and find a tag editor that works with them. And that yes, WAV files do support these tags. Contrary to another post in this forum, which is untrue.

I am a professional audio mastering engineer and I use the Transporter to play back and demonstrate uncompressed 24 bit/96 kHz, 48, and 44.1 K files in the mastering studio, without having to access the computer, it's a great tool. AIFFs do not support ID tags to the best of my knowledge, so it has to be WAV. Converting to a lossless format is unnecessary and time consuming in my business, so I sought out to see if the original 24 bit WAVs could be tagged.

After googling and testing about 25-30 tag editors out of a gazillion, so far I've only found ONE that will read and write ID3 tags that Slimserver/Transporter will read and use. There are none I've found so far for the Mac that work with WAVs, only MP3s. So I've restricted my search to the PC.

A program from Samu Software (unlikely name) Professional MP3/WAV TAG Editor :

http://mural.uv.es/samecues/progs.htm

The site is in Spanish, but don't be afraid, the editor is in (mostly) English, and it works. Scroll down to "Professional MP3/Wav" editor and download.

Has anyone found ANY other tag editor that truly works on WAV files (16 and 24 bit) which has more features? It would be nice to have the features of Media Monkey. Media Monkey APPEARS to edit ID3 tags in WAVs, and it consistently displays them, but Slimserver only occasionally reads them, even after a full library scan. However, the tags edited in "Samu" are instantly read and available in Slimserver without needing a library scan. Just go to the Music folder and click on the file and from that point on the artist, genre, and other tags have been added to the Slimserver Library. Very nice.

Anyone have anything to add, like a great editor that actually works with Wavs?

Bob Katz, Digital Domain. Orlando Florida. www.digido.com

test reply, ignore

I'm replying so that this thread will be in my subscriptions... sorry for the bandwidth!

Welcome!!

Bob, welcome to the list!! You know there's a Python utility available for converting DTS/AC3 files to WAV. I use this all the time for checking surround mixes at home on my Transporter. Works great!!

BTW, there was a thread going about VOLUME WARS somewhere. I pointed the thread to your site for info. Glad you're here!
    Eric Seaberg - San Diego
    A.E.S., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
    eric@seaberg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
    Bob, welcome to the list!! You know there's a Python utility available for converting DTS/AC3 files to WAV. I use this all the time for checking surround mixes at home on my Transporter. Works great!!

BTW, there was a thread going about VOLUME WARS somewhere. I pointed the thread to your site for info. Glad you're here!
    Hi, Eric. Thanks! Just call me "Mr. Volume". But anyway, thanks for the info on Python... so you have to use a "wave" shell to pack the AC3, interesting... I'll remember that!

SlimServer won't know what the raw AC3 file is, so it needs to be converted to something it will see natively. Actually, if there's bandwidth issues, the WAV file is re-coded to FLAC and streamed to the Transporter's digital out, converted from AC3/DTS on the receiver. I usually just keep the WAV file native since I'm running wired and don't have bandwidth problems.

I also just picked up Neyrinck's SoundCode for Dolby Digital and DTS to work within ProTools. This is a great, easy way to listen to rough mixes at home without having to burn to DVD.

The thread is here at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19260.
    Last edited by Eric Seaberg; 2007-02-11 at 22:44.
    Eric Seaberg - San Diego
    A.E.S., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
    eric@seaberg.com

Quote Originally Posted by bobkatz@digido.com View Post
    After a long search and struggle I have been able to prove that Slimserver DOES read the ID3v1 tags from Wav files and find a tag editor that works with them. And that yes, WAV files do support these tags. Contrary to another post in this forum, which is untrue.
    Well, I'd certainly have been one of those that would have said "it won't work", so congratulations on finding a way to do what you want to...

One thing - it would seem likely that the WAV files you've done this to would be objected to by a lot of other applications, I guess that isn't a problem for you in this use though...
    AIFFs do not support ID tags to the best of my knowledge, so it has to be WAV.
    Really? Other people seem to have managed to tag these files. I'd have thought this was a more "standard" and hence reliable way of meeting your objecting of having tagged uncompressed files.
    However, the tags edited in "Samu" are instantly read and available in Slimserver without needing a library scan. Just go to the Music folder and click on the file and from that point on the artist, genre, and other tags have been added to the Slimserver Library. Very nice.
    Actually, they are being scanned - its just that BMF has a standard feature whereby it does its scanning stuff on any folder you browse to, this is a common trick for getting a single CD you've just ripped into the library.

Ceejay

Hello Bob
    Thank you for your information about tagging wav-files. I tried multiple formats (flac, mp3, aac, and so on), but I like the sound of the wave file more than all the others. I only miss the tag possibility, therefore I'll try this editor.

Robin Bowes

WAV tag editor. Experts on Wave filesonly, please

Georgie wrote:
    > Hello Bob
    > Thank you for your information about tagging wav-files. I tried
    > multiple formats (flac, mp3, aac, and so on), but I like the sound of
    > the wave file more than all the others. I only miss the tag
    > possibility, therefore I'll try this editor.

Georgie,

flac *is* wav - but compressed.

When the squeezebox plays a .wav file it extracts the pcm data from the
    file and decodes it.

When the squeezebox plays a .flac file, it extracts the pcm data from
    the file and decodes it.

In both cases, *exactly* the same bits are used to generate audio.

You're really making life difficult for yourself by trying to use .wav
    files:

- they're bigger than flac
    - tag support is extremely limited
    - they have no internal checksums to verify the pcm stream.

At the end of the day, it's up to you how to store your music, but I
    suspect many folk on these forums will be looking at what you're doing
    and thinking "huh? .wav?"

R.

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    Well, I'd certainly have been one of those that would have said "it won't work", so congratulations on finding a way to do what you want to...
    Hi, Ceejay

One thing - it would seem likely that the WAV files you've done this to would be objected to by a lot of other applications, I guess that isn't a problem for you in this use though...
    Well, I have a dedicated server drive so it shouldn't be a problem. The ID3 tag appears to be pretty benign as well. Anyway, I don't know how to tag AIFFs. How are people adding tags to AIFF files?

Actually, they are being scanned - its just that BMF has a standard feature whereby it does its scanning stuff on any folder you browse to, this is a common trick for getting a single CD you've just ripped into the library.

Ceejay
    Being a slimserver newbie I don't know what BMF stands for... sorry.

BK

I believe BMF = "Browse Music Folder"