Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Album Art/flac/eac

How does Album artwork work for FLACs? How do I get album art to be viewed by players and where exactly can i get album art? Also is there a way where when I rip songs from EAC the album art is embedded in the flac file itself. What are cue sheets and what is their use?

Quote Originally Posted by computergeek22 View Post
    How does Album artwork work for FLACs?
    Currently only as a separate image file, either placed in the album directory or named "artist-album.jpg". See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AlbumArtwork

How do I get album art to be viewed by players and where exactly can i get album art?
    Which players? To get album art, see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ToolsAlbumArt

Also is there a way where when I rip songs from EAC the album art is embedded in the flac file itself.
    Not with EAC. The new FLAC encoder 1.1.3 does support embedded album art, as does the "pre-alpha" SlimServer 7.0 (which you should NOT install, it's a development version only, is very experimental and can be broken at any given time).

What are cue sheets and what is their use?
    I never use these but I'm sure you can find lots of links through Google.
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Well then how do i embed the artwork into the flac file after I have ripped it via EAC? Are there any similar programs to EAC that support embedded album art for FLACs?

egd
    Well then how do i embed the artwork into the flac file after I have ripped it via EAC? Are there any similar programs to EAC that support embedded album art for FLACs?
    You can add cover art through the latest beta version of mp3tag, much like you previously could for mp3 files.

But again, the current SlimServer can't read it.
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Sold: SB3, Duet

When you say mp3tag I assume you are talking about this right? http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Also I understand the current version can't read the tags embedded. But I still haven't put my whole music collection on my computer yet. I can still go back and change it if I want to...

egd
    When you say mp3tag I assume you are talking about this right? http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
    Yes. Get the latest development version - it can embed cover art in the FLAC tags.

Also I understand the current version can't read the tags embedded. But I still haven't put my whole music collection on my computer yet. I can still go back and change it if I want to...
    Correct, the current version of slimserver doesn't read cover art from FLAC tags, however, v7 onwards will. In the meantime there is nothing stopping you using mp3tag along with their allmusic plug in to tag your FLAC files including embedded cover art and at the same time saving the album cover as a .jpg in the album folder. Once v7 is in production, you can then run a script to delete folder.jpg in all music folders (this presupposes of course that you have embedded cover art for all albums - there are a few threads that discuss how to do this retrospectively via metaflac).

Tip: to make the cover art embedding process painless going forward I would suggest that you add a --padding=x parameter when calling FLAC. x is a numeric value representing the number of bytes padding to insert in the tag when encoding the file. I find 20000 bytes generally serves me well, but that will pretty much depend on the size of the cover art you embed.
    Last edited by egd; 2007-02-03 at 22:53.

Angry

I'm getting increasingly frustrated by this! Mp3tag isn't letting the flac tags encoded by v1.13a to stick. I'm using the amazon.com and telling it to put the album art as a tag yet the stupid thing doesn't seemt to work!

egd
    I'm getting increasingly frustrated by this! Mp3tag isn't letting the flac tags encoded by v1.13a to stick. I'm using the amazon.com and telling it to put the album art as a tag yet the stupid thing doesn't seemt to work!
    Are you using 2.37d? What exactly is it you're trying to do. Get the Allmusic plugin from http://www.anytag.de/forums/index.php?showtopic=2879

If mp3tag shows no tags when you load a flac file it is because the file has no tags.

Album Art/flac/eac

Hi,

In article <Mark.Lanctot.2lg3ic1170533102 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
    Mark Lanctot<Mark.Lanctot.2lg3ic1170533102 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >> How does Album artwork work for FLACs?

>
    > Currently only as a separate image file, either placed in the album
    > directory or named "artist-album.jpg". See
    > http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AlbumArtwork

Not true. Album art can be BASE64 encoded and embedded into an ALBUMART
    Vorbis comment in the FLAC file.

Andy