Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeDJay View Post
    I know it points to the same place, so I'm interested in what was said by Catbus about a corrupted HOST file. Can this be re-created?
    From within your Explorer, browse to the folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. There, you should find a file called 'hosts'. Open it (since there is no extension you will have to tell Windows which application to open it with - Notepad is fine).

The very minimum contents of that file is just one line that says:

127.0.0.1 localhost

If you want to add more names that is fine. Any changes are active as soon as you save the file, there is no need to reboot. You could for instance add another line just like above but change 'localhost' to 'music' and then access your Slimserver through http://music:9000.

Quote Originally Posted by bergek View Post
    You could for instance add another line just like above but change 'localhost' to 'music' and then access your Slimserver through http://music:9000.
    If you then move the Slimserver web GUI from port 9000 to port 80 you just have to type 'music' in the address bar of your preferred browser.

RecoveryOne. It is possible to get your McAfee INTERNET SECURITY SUITE 2007 (8-in-1 protection) to exclude folders for it;'s virus scan. Get it to exclude the whole of the Program Files/Slimserver folder.
    You'll just have to look around for the configuration options. According to a review of the McAfee INTERNET SECURITY SUITE 2007 (8-in-1 protection) here:
    http://www.thesoftwarecorner.com/200...y-2007-8-in-1/

"On the antivirus side of configuration, you can exclude specific folders, or let McAfee scan everything on your computer. It does take some time to get used to the menu system that was created for MIS 2007, it is not that easy, but after a few tries, youĺll know where to go to change settings."

BTW. Google is your friend. If you tried some searches or your software's help file or online help perhaps, you should easily find out where the configuration options are.

MC
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

PeedJay, when you upgraded your Slimserver doftware It was you wasn't it... I may have got you mixed up with someone else) did you upgrade to a 6.5.* version form a 5.*.* version?
    If so, did you totally delete the remains of your Program Fils/SlimServer directory after uninstalling the older version and installing the newer version? If not, you'll have to reinstall again and make sure you delete the directory before installing the new version. Do not install any plugins before seeing if SlimServer works OK. When yiou do install plugins only install the ones for the version 6.5.* version of SlimServer.

Are you sure SlimServer is running? I.e. is slim.exe listed in task manager and you get sound from you hifi using the remote etc?
    If so, try clearing your browser cache (as this all sounds like a browser cache problem plus one other more major problem to me, like an incorrect upgrade). Try choosing another skin and making sure you use the refresh option to view it correctly.
    If you have more than one browser installed try the other one (Firefox is the best one IMHO). IE7 has caused some issues for some (easily resolvable though).

Good luck.

MC

ModelCitizen Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Re Upgrade: Not sure from what I upgraded! What I do know is that I simply installed over the top of what was there before hand. AND it was a version 6 something, not 5 something.
    Also, was having probs with the browser before (and after)the upgrade!
    Yes Slim.exe running in Task Manager. Music, sweet music also coming from HiFi!

I usually use Firefox, but have tried on IE6 as well ...no joy there.

The browser cache issue sounds possible. Will try that after sending this.

Clearing the cache may well have been the solution. Seems to be happy now, so will leave and play for a while and see.

Thanks for the suggestions/guidance

Paul

It begs the question: Why does MySql exhibit virus-like behavior?
    Jon Heal says:
    Have a nice day!
    http://www.theheals.org/
    ~~~
    SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | DELL OptiPlex PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-397 | PSB Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables | Dayton Audio Interconnects

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    RecoveryOne. It is possible to get your McAfee INTERNET SECURITY SUITE 2007 (8-in-1 protection) to exclude folders for it;'s virus scan. Get it to exclude the whole of the Program Files/Slimserver folder.
    You'll just have to look around for the configuration options. According to a review of the McAfee INTERNET SECURITY SUITE 2007 (8-in-1 protection) here:
    http://www.thesoftwarecorner.com/200...y-2007-8-in-1/

"On the antivirus side of configuration, you can exclude specific folders, or let McAfee scan everything on your computer. It does take some time to get used to the menu system that was created for MIS 2007, it is not that easy, but after a few tries, youĺll know where to go to change settings."

BTW. Google is your friend. If you tried some searches or your software's help file or online help perhaps, you should easily find out where the configuration options are.

MC
    I got on the Macfee forums and saw a post stating that the the spamkiller uses the 127.0.0.1 IP = localhost. Which could be the problem. I will check the thread you posted and see if it has something better. But I went through all the menus and unchecked many of the settings one at a time and check to see if the slim server would come up. No such luck.

And if you cut out some of the settings you get the "your system is not fully protected" message.
    I may have to accelerate my plans to make a deditcated server for my music/photos and put it in the garage. This is just a real pain to have to worry about if you can install new software that will play nice with slim server.
    Slim Device Transporter wirelessly connected

2nd SqueezeBox 3 Wirelessly connected (MasterBedroom)

3rd SqueezeBox 3 Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

4th Squeezebox Duet wirelessly connected (bedroom)

5th Squeezebox Touch Wirelessly connected (livingroom)

6th Squeezebox Touch Wirelessly connected (downstairs bedroom)

Server (In garage)
    running on P4 3.0 GHz 3 gig ram
    Windows XP (Sp3)
    350 Xternal gigHD
    Verizon Fios wireless router w/HG antana

Quote Originally Posted by jonheal View Post
    It begs the question: Why does MySql exhibit virus-like behavior?
    Lots of questions really...
    1) Why have they not fixed it. It's been an issue for a long time?
    2) Why did the SlimServer developers choose to use MySQL when they knew about the issue and must have had at least some idea what was likely to happen as SlimServer got more popular and attracted a less techy user base? I remember KDF being exasperated about this issue a long time ago.
    3) Why has no pressure been put on the MySQL developers by SlimDevices/Logitech (maybe it has though)?

One thing is certain. The amount of posts about this issue is increasing and I'm sure, will continue to increase almost exponentially as sales increase unless something is done about it.

MC

McAfee

I had some exchanges with a tech support guy via the forums (McAfee) and he has no clue what slim server is or even the squeeze box. So, instead of trying to explain what the slim server is and how it works with the squeeze box I referred him over to this fourm so he may get more information about the Slim devices systems. Hopefully he will post something that we all can benefit from.

I solved my problem in the manner that suited me. I just took the kids computer (running Windows 2k) and turn it into a server and put it in the garage. And replaced it with my gaming rig. the whole system is running better than ever before. The only drawback so far is that the rig in the garage only has a 20gig HD for storing flies compared to the 80gig I have on the other rig. But thats a easy fix down the road. I will rip and d/l music on the gaming rig and file transfer them over to the other one. The only time I will need to access the rig in the garage is to update/create playlist
    Last edited by Recoveryone; 2007-02-01 at 11:38.
    Slim Device Transporter wirelessly connected

2nd SqueezeBox 3 Wirelessly connected (MasterBedroom)

3rd SqueezeBox 3 Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

4th Squeezebox Duet wirelessly connected (bedroom)

5th Squeezebox Touch Wirelessly connected (livingroom)

6th Squeezebox Touch Wirelessly connected (downstairs bedroom)

Server (In garage)
    running on P4 3.0 GHz 3 gig ram
    Windows XP (Sp3)
    350 Xternal gigHD
    Verizon Fios wireless router w/HG antana