Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

[Announce] SlimNAS 0.1 - SlimServer on FreeNAS

FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org) has been mentioned here as an easy to set up operating system, which turns your old PC hardware into a NAS. But due to its nature (run from an image file) SlimServer installation wasn't easy - until now ;-).

I'm happy to announce a first experimental SlimServer on FreeNAS extension. It's a drop-in enhancement to FreeNAS, you therefore won't need to re-install the operating system, if you already have it running.

There's more information available from my site:

http://www.herger.net/SlimNAS/

But please, don't ask me questions about the FreeNAS installation - they have their own, active forums.
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

Hi,

I can't seem to get this running.
    The install script indicates that every thing goes well:
    $ /bin/sh /mnt/raid5/slimnas/slimnas-install.sh
    Extracting Perl and supporting files...
    Extracting Slimserver from SlimServer_v6.5.1.no-cpan-arch.tar.gz...
    Creating service web page for FreeNAS web interface...
    Done!

Please open go your FreeNAS' main menu - you should
    now find SlimServer in the Extensions section.

Have fun!

I do get the "Extensions" headline in the menu list, but nothing under the headline.

The script creates a slimnas/slimserver folder.

Rebooting the Freenas removes the "Extensions" headline.

I'm using the Freenas VMWare image for testing.

Any good ideas for debuging?

Lasse

Quote Originally Posted by ltb76 View Post
    I do get the "Extensions" headline in the menu list, but nothing under the headline.
    Could you re-run the installation and then run "ls -l /usr/local/www/ext" from the Command page? You should get something like the following:

total 0
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 26 Jan 19 16:59 slimserver -> /mnt/raid5/slimnas/usr/www

Another problem I've seen: after running slimnas-install.sh you'll have to select another page first before the link shows up...
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

I think I found the problem, when downloading the slimnas.tgz it got renamed to slimnas.tar - I tried downloading again at it keeps getting renamed - I guess its a "IE7" error.

And I could not get it to run on the VMWare image on the FreNAS site. After creating my own FreeNAS everything is running SMOOTH - Very nice
    Last edited by ltb76; 2007-01-21 at 07:40.

Spiffy awesome deal. Cool beans and all. Good job Michael. Anyone who pitched in for Robin to build and got their money back should push it to Michael. I'm not concerned about the few bucks I gave but if Robin wanted to push the bounty your way by all means go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ltb76 View Post
    I think I found the problem, when downloading the slimnas.tgz it got renamed to slimnas.tar - I tried downloading again at it keeps getting renamed - I guess its a "IE7" error.
    Most versions of IE seem to behave like this with .tar.gz or .tgz or .bz2 extensions. If downloading stuff packed like this it is always safer to use opera or firefox or somesuch.

Thank you Michael for doing this, I had been waiting for SS to be made available for freeNAS. I have been able to get this installed without any problems. The music folder is accepted as /mnt/flac/Music, however nothing is found in a scan. Running 'ps ax' as shown in the caveats shows that SS is running.
    Inside the share are subfolders based on genres/genre/artist/album. I have tried setting the folder to the deepest nested subfolder but still no result.
    Anyone any further suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by supertrogg View Post
    Thank you Michael for doing this, I had been waiting for SS to be made available for freeNAS. I have been able to get this installed without any problems. The music folder is accepted as /mnt/flac/Music, however nothing is found in a scan. Running 'ps ax' as shown in the caveats shows that SS is running.
    Inside the share are subfolders based on genres/genre/artist/album. I have tried setting the folder to the deepest nested subfolder but still no result.
    Anyone any further suggestions?
    Have you tried doing a Browse --> Music Folder? What does that show?

Thanks for the reply. If you mean browsing to the share then yes I have done that from a windows pc and I can see all 28Gb worth of flac files.
    If I instigate a search for new files from the server settings page it refreshes to display the searching message. If I then go to the home page I get all zeros for songs etc with no message.
    If I do this on a Windows based SS then I get the searching message on the home page until it has finished.
    One thing that did cross my mind, how much space does SS need on top of the freeNAS install? I have freeNAS(.68 lastest) installed on a 512Mb IDE flash module. Is this sufficient given that there is now a requirement to hold a database too?

Quote Originally Posted by supertrogg View Post
    Thanks for the reply. If you mean browsing to the share then yes I have done that from a windows pc and I can see all 28Gb worth of flac files.
    If I instigate a search for new files from the server settings page it refreshes to display the searching message. If I then go to the home page I get all zeros for songs etc with no message.
    If I do this on a Windows based SS then I get the searching message on the home page until it has finished.
    One thing that did cross my mind, how much space does SS need on top of the freeNAS install? I have freeNAS(.68 lastest) installed on a 512Mb IDE flash module. Is this sufficient given that there is now a requirement to hold a database too?
    From the Slimserver webinterface, Browse --> Music Folder, not browsing the share from Windows. This will show you if you have configured the Music path correctly.
    If your music is in the share Music - then your configured path should be /mnt/Music in the Slimserver.

Your flash card should be big enough, my slim install takes ~100MB
    Have in mind that the slimserver is not copied to the flashcard unless you created the "slimnas" folder on the flashcard.

Depending on how powerfull you CPU is, it will take quit some time to scan 28GB. You could try to