Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    And Pete, well, another player who doesn't have the technical prowess of others, but is the master of the "guitar riff" and inventer of the windmill.
    :-).
    Pete Townshend credits Keith Richards as the originator of the "windmill"

I think I saw this in an interview on DVD (either "The Kids are Alright" or "Who's Next")

IIRC, Pete said that Richards used to vigorously swing his right arm up through the strings (maybe a quarter-windmill); Pete liked it and extended it into the full windmill.

I think that Pete's chops have been significantly underrated over the years. He prefers to play the chord stuff (especially the alternating between suspended and not suspended chords, a la Pinball Wizard), but he can play some scorching lead, and is pretty flexible - check out "For Barney Kessel" from the first "Scoop" collection.

doc watson

clarence white

chet atkins

merle travis

buddy emmons

ralph mooney

speedy west

lloyd green

tommy emmanuel

leo kottke

bert jansch

danny gatton

richard lloyd

kelly joe phelps

chris whitley
    Vortexbox>SBT(stock)>>Forssell MDAC-2>>>Klein and Hummell 0300D

Sota Sapphire/Lyra Kleos>>Bespoke Valve Phono Stage>>Mastersound Due Venti>>Link Audio K100

Since this thread has been revived...here's one that hasn't been mentioned:

Buckethead

Very strange dude that wears a KFC chicken bucket on his head and wears and expressionless white mask over his face. I just came across his music on Rhapsody. His style is all over the map - ambient, mellow, shredding, avant garde, etc. "Colma" is awesome - pretty mellow with some really good rythms and beats. Another one I've really enjoyed is "Monsters & Robots". This one features Les Claypool from Primus on bass and some vocals. Very Primus like - awesome! "The Ballad of Buckethead" is very reminiscent of "Mr. Oysterhead" from the 2001 project Oysterhead (Les Claypool, Stewart Copeland, and Trey Anastasio).

Others that I've discovered recently that have had perhaps a single mention so far but I think are worth bringing up again:

Robin Trower - I especially like "Bridge of Sighs". Some slightly spacy/down-tempo stuff with awesome guitar solos! Imagine an understated Jimi Hendrix.

Rory Gallagher - "Irish Tour '74" is a must-listen for any guitar fan. Great blues player! "Cradle Rock", especially this version, is an incredible track. Rory just wails on his guitar unmercifully!
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

nice bbc radio documentary on Rory here:

http://www.shadowplays.com/jukebox/r...gher_story.mp3
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Has anyone mentioned Kaori Muraji yet? Classical, the Luminieres album is a good place to start. Crippling prices for Japanese imports though.........

Jerry

Toy Caldwell
    Jonny Greenwood
    Robby Krieger
    Peter Buck
    Bruce Springsteen
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2012-03-20 at 18:11.

Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    Since this thread has been revived...here's one that hasn't been mentioned:

Buckethead
    Been listening to Buckethead all morning on Spotify, love it!

Thanks.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 4-Classics, 2-Booms, 1-Reverted UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

My favorite of all time is Extreme duo, Gary Cherone and Nuno Bettencourt.Who could ever forgot the acoustic ballad "More than words". Unfortunately, they disbanded on 1997 but has done several reunions in the 2000.