Beatles botched recording? noise? imagination?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrSinatra

Beatles botched recording? noise? imagination?

the pink floyd and police threads inspired this one...

for years and years this has bothered me, but i never knew who to ask, but u guys seem like u'd know!

i got the Beatles box set as a kid, and i will surely get the remastered one whenever it comes out...

but this set dates to around 87 i think.

anyway, it sounds great to me, BUT on rubber soul, "You won't see me" has what i consider to be some strange artifact.

around 2:29 into the song, a continuous tone is heard, similar to ground hum... it starts simultaneously with the cymbol and then fades out with the rest of the song.

it could be humming i guess, but its so consistent, and i don't hear it earlier in the song.

any ideas? is it supposed to be there? on the analog tape? a CD mastering mistake?
  • MrSinatra

i see a lot of views for this post, but hasn't anyone checked to see if they have anything similar?

Comment

• batangas
      • Feb 2007

From "Beatles Anomalies"

You Won’t See Me:

Throughout
      Tempo of the song slows down. At 30 second intervals, from the start, the tempo is 119,118,116,115,114,and 113 bpm.

0:02
      Cough.

0:12
      Odd sound to right.

1:05-1:07
      Paul sings "But I’d get turned away" or "But I get turned away", but not (as often documented) "But I could turn away". The ‘d’ is very soft.

1:34,2:28
      Upper "oo" in harmony comes in before lower one.

2:16
      Click, in centre.

2:29-3:07
      One (or two?) continuous mid-range note(s) held all through here. Very odd. Flakes out a little at 2:52.

Identified as Mal Evans, on organ! (Rubber Soul LP liner notes mention Mal playing on this track). Very obvious from 3:00-3:04, where the backing vocals stop (it blends into the vocal so well!).

2:32
      George (?) says something. Right channel, sounds like "Y’row".

3:15
      Shouting – "C’mon?" (Paul, right, during fadeout).

3:16<
      Double click, possible handclap, right channel, just before fadeout ends.

Regards,

Danny

Comment

Working...