Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sch View Post
    XMBC was one of my options, along with the KISS DP558, but the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) isn't exactly great on the Xbox
    Hmmm...well, I can tell you that WAF on XBMC is typically very, very high after installation. It's just dead simple to use, and you can buy a $15 XBOX DVD remote to control the whole thing. I have a friend that even got a Logitech Harmony remote to learn XBMC with no issue.

My wife thought I was insane to be scouring craigslist for an Xbox when video games hold about as much interest to me as watching paint dry. She's totally behind it now that she's seen (and used) XBMC.

#!/ben

(fwiw, I'd be jazzed to see a Slim offering like you described, and would probably consider buying one, esp. if it supported HD)
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/
    KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Oh great, another Apple product full of DRM, proprietary technology and
    patents, no doubt...
    I do understand your point. Agreed, DRM and proprietary stuff is evil. But I'm driven more by pragmatism than idealism. As long as it also plays non-DRM content (feature details as yet unknown), who cares? Personally, I don't like tweaking these toys. Despite my affection for the Squeezebox (I have 3), tweaking is the main reason I look for replacements. There always seems to be some issue that works it's way into the software that I have to work around. So, my quest for the NMF (near maintenance free) solution continues.

Go to http://www.mpcclub.com/
    You will find lots of boxes there, with with optical drive and without it, with built-in streaming capabilities.
    Some choices would be Kiss DP-1500, DP-600; Dvico TVix, Ziova; there are more.

Quote Originally Posted by bklaas View Post
    Seriously, XBMC is what you want. It will stream any video in any format on to your TV. It is just dropjaw fantastic software.
    Wow, that looks really, really good. Does this thing just work or do you have to continually update it? Looks like a real bear to setup though. The guide says you have to buy some special game title to get this working. That could be an obstacle.

Do you guys know VDR (http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/).

Of course it is per se not a client server application, but it does the job of a PVR quite well. Of course you can have access to content on your hard disk beside the broadcast TV (DVB-S/T/C).

The WAF his extremly high.

Quote Originally Posted by Sch View Post
    XMBC was one of my options, along with the KISS DP558, but the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) isn't exactly great on the Xbox, and the DP558 lacks on the streaming (I will have to upload the video's to the 558).
    I also love my Xbox with XBMC. The front-end for it is just so polished now, (it looks much better than that for any DVD player/ video streamer I've seen...). I was going to bung my Xbox on eBay when I got the 360, but I'm really pleased I decided to dedicate it to AV use instead.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the WAF problems would be with it. My Xbox sits in a normal HiFi rack with the IR receiver dongle (no trailing lead so very unobtrusive) in one of the controller ports, and no game controllers are connected. It doesn't look too much different to a hifi component! I have it set to boot directly into XBMC, so you just turn it on and you're presented with that fantastic looking menu.

I just have one remote (Pronto) that controls it as well as my TV, Amp, TiVo, DVD player, Squeezebox and lights (via X10). This level of convenience scores very highly on the WAF (GAF) scale. The only small niggle is that there is no easy way to turn an Xbox on via the remote, and I haven't yet trained either of our dogs to push the power button with their noses.......

Re: Will there ever be a video squeezebox ?

bishopdonmiguel wrote:
    > Peter;162649 Wrote:
    >
    >> Oh great, another Apple product full of DRM, proprietary technology and
    >>
    >> patents, no doubt...I do understand your point. Agreed, DRM and proprietary stuff is evil.
    >>

> But I'm driven more by pragmatism than idealism. As long as it also
    > plays non-DRM content (feature details as yet unknown), who cares?
    > Personally, I don't like tweaking these toys. Despite my affection for
    > the Squeezebox (I have 3), tweaking is the main reason I look for
    > replacements. There always seems to be some issue that works it's way
    > into the software that I have to work around. So, my quest for the NMF
    > (near maintenance free) solution continues.
    >

It's not ideology, it's the experience that the disadvantages of closed
    solutions are just too great in the long term. MythTV and SqueezeBox are
    made to be flexible. Standard commercial solutions are usually made to
    lock you into their products.

Regards,
    Peter

Re: Will there ever be a video squeezebox ?

bklaas wrote:
    > Step 1: Buy an old Xbox from eBay, craigslist, or a neighborhood
    > Gamestop.
    > Step 2: Hack Xbox and drop the acclaimed hackware Xbox Media Center
    > (XBMC) on it. Great directions can be found here--
    > http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft...0_minutes.html
    > Step 3: There is no step 3. Once you've got XBMC on, you really don't
    > have to dork with it.
    >
    > Seriously, XBMC is what you want. It will stream any video in any
    > format on to your TV. It is just dropjaw fantastic software.
    >
    > I'm a linux guy, and I'm telling you, you want XBMC. There is no better
    > and cheaper way to do what you want than XBMC.
    >

I've thought about this setup, but the XBox is just to noisy to ever be
    allowed in my living room.

Regards,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by bishopdonmiguel View Post
    Wow, that looks really, really good. Does this thing just work or do you have to continually update it? Looks like a real bear to setup though. The guide says you have to buy some special game title to get this working. That could be an obstacle.
    It took me approx 2 hours to do the setup, and was actually quite painless. If you're smart enough to have a home network, you can do this. That guide is spot on with everything you need to know.

You are correct that you have to find a special game title, and that probably was the biggest effort. I found one that worked by searching Craigslist for people selling xbox games. I found a guy selling a bunch of titles including Mechassault. I emailed him and asked him if he could check the part number on the laser etching of the CD (the gameboy immediately knew what I was up to). It matched, and I bought it from him for $15.

Post-setup, I can't really see needing to ever do an update. There just aren't any functions that I'm wishing it had that it doesn't already do marvelously. I suppose I wished it did HD and had DVR capabilities, but I'm not sure either of those are within the scope of this product.

Big pros of XBMC:
    boots in about 10 seconds (!!!)
    streams absolutely anything I throw at it
    will stream data from my linux server (via samba shares)
    plays music from my server
    views photos with cool slideshow effects
    will play DVDs that have been shrunk to iso files, including support for DVD menus (!!!)
    very, very customizable

other features:
    plays movie trailers from apple.com
    RSS feed viewer
    some kind of online game system, Kai (could care less about this)

cons:
    xboxes are loud (though xbmc has settings for ramping down the fan speed, which helps)
    no HD
    no DVR

cheers,
    #!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter

KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I've thought about this setup, but the XBox is just to noisy to ever be
    allowed in my living room.
    I don't disagree with this statement at all, except for two caveats:

1. you can quiet it somewhat by pushing the fan speed down to 10% via xbmc settings. some have even gone as far as to replace the fan with a quieter one, but that's a bit too involved for my interest.
    2. with a 10 second boot time, the only time xbmc needs to be on is when you are watching something on xbmc. I don't notice the xbox noise when watching something, only when nothing else is audible.

also, if you have an AV rack with a glass front that'll buffer it even further.

cheers,
    #!/ben

KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!