Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Zone Alarm blocks some cookies

Friends >>> Every time the SS web page refreshes (every 10 secs?), my ZoneAlarm privacy adviser pops up to say 'Privacy has blocked cookies'.

Despite the apparent blocking, SS seems to be working OK. I've tried telling ZA to allow localhost (i.e. its IP address) to set cookies; I've tried doing the same for the SB's IP address. Nothing seems to put a stop to these every-ten-seconds popups.

Yes, I could disable ZA. But turning off internet security does not seem like a very wise solution to a minor irritation.

So what other URLs is SS using routinely to operate the web interface by setting cookies? If I knew, I could try telling ZA to ignore them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

[PS: I'm running a November 6.5.1 on an XP Pro Dell 5150; most recent version Of ZoneAlarm Security Suite; browsers IE7 and Firefox 2.0]
    Last edited by Diana; 2006-12-13 at 14:01. Reason: Additional information

The cookies are set by the web interface to record things like the currently selected player. Assuming the browser is running on the same machine as slimserver you should allow cookies from localhost (127.0.0.1) and also the actual IP it uses (probably something like 192.168.x.x).

Quote Originally Posted by radish View Post
    ...you should allow cookies from localhost (127.0.0.1) and also the actual IP it uses (probably something like 192.168.x.x).
    Radish >>> Thanks for replying so quick. I did as you suggested but to no avail. Still getting the 'Privacy has blocked cookies' message every time the web page refreshes.

I can't imagine what URLs the web interface refers to other than localhost and the machine's own IP - any ideas, folks?

It should be 'localhost', that's how it appears in Firefox at least.

Blocking cookies isn't exactly a core competency of a firewall - why not let your browser handle it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lanctot View Post
    ...Blocking cookies isn't exactly a core competency of a firewall - why not let your browser handle it?
    Mark >>> That's the answer, of course! I came across this when trying to solve a problem with my antivirus:

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...essage.id=6216

which is more or less exactly what you wisely advise - avoid overkill!

Many thanks.

You're welcome, hope it solves the issue!

I don't know about IE7, but as of FF 1.5, cookie handling got really good - you can accept them, but if you manually remove them, they get added to your block list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lanctot View Post
    You're welcome, hope it solves the issue!

I don't know about IE7, but as of FF 1.5, cookie handling got really good - you can accept them, but if you manually remove them, they get added to your block list.
    Yes, FF is good. I'm using FF 2.0. I've set it to ask me when sites want to set cookies; this lets you choose whether to accept, for session or always, or block. What's amazing is the sheer volume of cookies you don't know about unless you ask to see the requests!

Anyway, many thanks for your help - problem solved, and SS now working just fine!