Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Luddite Wonders ...

I am happily purring along with 6.3.1 on Windows XP. Off the top of my head, I can see no compelling reason to upgrade. I’m satisfied with 6.3.1’s performance, and in general, I have very few issues with my implementation of Slimserver. I’ve also done quite a bit of custom scripting to get a “Now Playing” page operating on our web site which I would have to modify if I were to upgrade.

That having been said, I will list the few issues I do have, and I wonder if someone can tell me if they have been addressed with later releases.

1. Scan time is a little slow. It takes about an hour to rescan my 500+ album collection (although this may have more to do with the fact that my music is stored on an external disc connected to an NSLU2).

2. Playing Random Song Mix results in occasionally repeated selections.

3. Scrolling titles on the Squeezebox are sometimes a little jumpy, especially when transitioning between songs.

4. There is no convenient way to exclude some songs from play other than using the Zapped playlist and an additional plugin.

5. Crossfades are rudimentary. I would prefer more flexibility (i.e. fade out but start at full volume, etc.).
    Jon Heal says:
    Have a nice day!
    http://www.theheals.org/
    ~~~
    SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | DELL OptiPlex PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-397 | PSB Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables | Dayton Audio Interconnects

The response to my query has been somewhat underwhelming. I guess I'll assume that the issues I raised are still issues with 6.5+. I suppose I'll keep chugging along with 6.3.1.
    Jon Heal says:
    Have a nice day!
    http://www.theheals.org/
    ~~~
    SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | DELL OptiPlex PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-397 | PSB Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables | Dayton Audio Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by jonheal View Post
    1. Scan time is a little slow. It takes about an hour to rescan my 500+ album collection (although this may have more to do with the fact that my music is stored on an external disc connected to an NSLU2).
    Scan time is reportedly improved. It's hard to tell for me, scans only take about 2 minutes, both before and after the updrade to 6.5.1.

2. Playing Random Song Mix results in occasionally repeated selections.
    This seems to have improved for me. With 6.2.1 it seemed that SlimServer had certain favourites it always wanted to play in Random Mix. In 6.5, Random Mix seems more random.

Also a recurring issue I had with the display getting stuck on one particular song while playback progressed through other songs seems to have gone away. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3696 and http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2510

I didn't notice any differences in the other items you mention.

Kevin O. Lepard

A Luddite Wonders ...

>The response to my query has been somewhat underwhelming. I guess I'll
    >assume that the issues I raised are still issues with 6.5+. I suppose
    >I'll keep chugging along with 6.3.1.

I'm still on 6.3.1, too. I generally wait for a .1 or .2 release
    before I introduce major software revisions. Since I have no
    outstanding issues with 6.3.1, I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.

Kevin
    --
    Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

Quote Originally Posted by jonheal View Post
    3. Scrolling titles on the Squeezebox are sometimes a little jumpy, especially when transitioning between songs.
    I noticed a big change here, for the better. On 6.3 browsing was slower and sometimes button presses had no effect. With my PC being full of spyware, malware, and rootkits- I figured the lag was it's fault, but 6.5 seemed to fix all the performance issues.

The main reason I switched early on was to get the new 100 step volume control. Call me crazy.

Just like you, after seeing all the problems people had with 6.5 I waited for a while. Eventually a friend told me that the new version of softsqueeze was worth getting so I upgraded. Bottom line is I'm very pleased. There were no problems with the upgrade (probably because I'm not doing anything nonstandard), many things are a bit better, and the new version of softsqueeze maintains sync perfectly with my SB3's, yeah!

Lanier

I'd recommend it for the gallery view in the web interface alone. And the selectable sort ordering in the different browse modes. Unfortunately, for many of us the page bar used for navigating those otherwise convenient sort orders is completely fubar.

Do not under any circumstances bother installing 6.5.0. It has a lot of ugly and frustrating bugs, many of which have been worked out in the 6.5.1 nightlies.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Do not under any circumstances bother installing 6.5.0.
    Oops, time to upgrade again. I'm a terrible beta tester, beyond browse music folder and the volume control anyway.

Some have reported better results by deleting the 6.3 directory, reformatting the hard drive, and changing their phone numer prior to upgrading...

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    Some have reported better results by deleting the 6.3 directory, reformatting the hard drive, and changing their phone numer prior to upgrading...
    You forgot the part about doing it at midnight in the dark in front of a mirror, turning in circles and saying "SlimServer, SlimServer, SLIMSERVER!" as the bell strikes 12. ;-)

In all seriousness though, I just uninstalled, deleted the 6.2.1 directory and installed. No issues, even with 6.5.0.

Actually my first test was when I was playing around with Ubuntu Linux. It installed perfectly there, so I figured the Windows install would be easy - it was.

I was briefly tempted to upgrade (I am currently running 6.2.2 on XP with three SB2s and an SB1). My reasoning being I wanted to acquire a Nokia 770 and have a new toy to play with. But when I saw all the problems people were having I re-considered as it appears that playlists are an issue and I particularly use a playlist to listen to DAB radio using DABBAR. So the priority had to be decided on why do I have this; it's to listen to music, if that breaks then what's the point (I do like a quiet life ).

So I will patiently wait until all appears to be working reasonably ok and voodoo is not required to make the installation work ok.

Perhaps then the new Nokia will be available!!

Ken