Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Got PC warning: 100% CPU usage w/Slim running!

What gives? I've been using Slimserver for about 2 weeks no problem. Then last night my PC was super slow and freezing up on email etc. I noticed a green box on my little icon bar across the bottom of the monitor that warned of 100% PC usage. Once I closed Slim PC returned to normal. Can Slim really use up all those resources? I was not even listening to my SB3.

Did you make any change to your music library, maybe add files to that directory? Did you make a new playlist by chance?

Chances are SlimServer was scanning your music and hung up on something in that directory.
    Ross L

Thanks I did add lots of new music to my library recently but thought that the rescanning had been completed a couple of days ago.

Has it improved?
    Ross L

100%CPU Usage

Just a thought, I recently installed Internet Explorer V7 with add ons, installed OK, but when I tried to open IE I got the message 100%CPU usage. I uninstalled and reverted back to V6 and all OK. The point is that I tried to open slimserver and because it uses IE it kept hanging. Have you installed IE7?

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Just a thought, I recently installed Internet Explorer V7 with add ons, installed OK, but when I tried to open IE I got the message 100%CPU usage. I uninstalled and reverted back to V6 and all OK. The point is that I tried to open slimserver and because it uses IE it kept hanging. Have you installed IE7?
    I could not get IE7 to run - it always crashed on launch. Who needs it - use Firefox.
    P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 10.04 SBS 7.6.0 - r31284
    AMD64x2 ubuntu 10.04, SBS 7.5.2 - r30889
    Dell 10v WinXP SBS 7.5.2 - r31264
    Dell 10v ubuntu netbook remix 10.04, SBS 7.6.0 - r30830
    Players: Classic, Duet, Boom

Quote Originally Posted by Ramage View Post
    Who needs it - use Firefox.
    Indeed, but note that memory leaks can happen with Firefox (especially with add-ins). I used ForecastFox and found that, when SS was on for a few hours, it got to using over half a gig of memory. That slowed things down a bit...
    PC, JRiver/Tidal, Digital XO, Asus Xonar u7, Rotel RB976MkII, JBL L300
    LMS: 3xBoom, 1xRadio, Chromecast Audio

Quote Originally Posted by adamslim View Post
    Indeed, but note that memory leaks can happen with Firefox (especially with add-ins). I used ForecastFox and found that, when SS was on for a few hours, it got to using over half a gig of memory. That slowed things down a bit...
    I've seen comments about memory leak with Firefox, but not experienced it on my PC, and I have it running most of the time albeit without too many add-ins, typically using 80-90Meg.
    P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 10.04 SBS 7.6.0 - r31284
    AMD64x2 ubuntu 10.04, SBS 7.5.2 - r30889
    Dell 10v WinXP SBS 7.5.2 - r31264
    Dell 10v ubuntu netbook remix 10.04, SBS 7.6.0 - r30830
    Players: Classic, Duet, Boom

I do use Firefox (recently updated to Firefox 2) but did not add in the Forecast plug in. I closed down everything and rebooted the computer and haven't had the problem again, but I haven't listened much to music this week yet. I'm not sure which version of IE I have, but I don't open IE unless Firefox doesn't work, which is rare. I'm thinking my problem was caused by a rescan of my library and getting hung up on a file, as an earlier poster suggested.