Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suitable router.....

Thinking of buying wired SB. I want internet radio without PC being on. Mp3s streamed to my hi fi.... that's all. Would either of the following be suitable for the wired SB ?

Netgear DG 632
    Netgear DG 834

...as far as I can tell, with my narrow attention span, they both do the same job - maybe one has more ports or serves you coffe or something, I don't know. They both seem to have a built in adsl modem and split my internet connection - to my PC and to my SB (with a cable) ?? Am I right?

Could I get away with anything simpler....cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by EasilyConfused View Post
    Thinking of buying wired SB. I want internet radio without PC being on. Mp3s streamed to my hi fi.... that's all. Would either of the following be suitable for the wired SB ?

Netgear DG 632
    Netgear DG 834

...as far as I can tell, with my narrow attention span, they both do the same job - maybe one has more ports or serves you coffe or something, I don't know. They both seem to have a built in adsl modem and split my internet connection - to my PC and to my SB (with a cable) ?? Am I right?

Could I get away with anything simpler....cheaper?
    I believe the 632 has one USB and one ethernet output, so you could connect one device of each type without buying a switch. It's very limited and gets pretty mediocre to bad reviews.

The 834 has a four ethernet ports, so it is more flexible.

Both products have a built-in ADSL modem. If you already have a working ADSL modem you do not need that feature. In that case, just go with a 4-port router.

If you like Netgear, try http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...ers/RP614.aspx

Linksys sells http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

Belkin sells http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=136521

You can also look for something used if you want to save some money. These devices are pretty basic and are likely to be available. If you search Ebay for "4 port router" you will likely get many pages returned.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Both products have a built-in ADSL modem. If you already have a working ADSL modem you do not need that feature. In that case, just go with a 4-port router.
    Only if your modem has an ethernet port. If it is usb-only you need a router with built-in modem and multiple ethernet ports.

-s.

Easily - this is what happens when you crosspost!

All - in another thread Easily has said his modem has a USB output to the PC (this is unfortunately "standard" in the cheap UK broadband services).

So - Easily, you need a router, with at least a couple of wired LAN connections (one for PC, one for SB). You've said you don't want wireless.

A Netgear DG834 will do nicely - at ú37 thats not expensive.

Don't get a DG632, it only gives you one USB and one ethernet port and although it could certainly be made to work, it is not so expandable and could cause you complications later that you don't need.

Alternatives: http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3NNZ

Or if *cheap* is your priority this might work: http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=44PJ

HTH

Ceejay

Bt Voyager 210 ??

Would a Bt Voyager 210 do the Job? Can get one of these new for ú20
    It has 1 usb (which I assume will connect the voyager and my PC) and 1 ethernet (which I assume will 'route' my internet connection to the SB) .......am I getting the hang of this? Eh, Eh? ! P.S...not bothered about about expandability etc. Just wanna get the SB up and running.

BT Voyager 210

It would probably do the job you require if your ISP is BT. I believe that the Voyagers are locked to that ISP. Google it and you will see a number of entries about it being locked up.

Good luck
    P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 10.04 SBS 7.6.0 - r31284
    AMD64x2 ubuntu 10.04, SBS 7.5.2 - r30889
    Dell 10v WinXP SBS 7.5.2 - r31264
    Dell 10v ubuntu netbook remix 10.04, SBS 7.6.0 - r30830
    Players: Classic, Duet, Boom

My apologies. I assumed his ADSL modem had an ethernet port (a modem without an ethernet port, who would ever buy that). :-P

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    My apologies. I assumed his ADSL modem had an ethernet port (a modem without an ethernet port, who would ever buy that). :-P
    No-one - they're given away here! I have one in a cupboard I don't ever intend to use...

Ceejay

Quote Originally Posted by EasilyConfused View Post
    Would a Bt Voyager 210 do the Job? Can get one of these new for ú20
    It has 1 usb (which I assume will connect the voyager and my PC) and 1 ethernet (which I assume will 'route' my internet connection to the SB) .......am I getting the hang of this? Eh, Eh? ! P.S...not bothered about about expandability etc. Just wanna get the SB up and running.
    I don't know if modems support connecting via USB and ethernet simultaneously. That would be a highly unconventional setup and I doubt your PC would be able to "talk to" your SB, even if interne access managed to work. You're making this so hard on yourself! Just get a modem with a router and a 4 port switch built in (like the netgear DG834 or one of the other of hundreds of devices like this). Don't connect the modem to your PC via USB--connect it via ethernet.

Quote Originally Posted by azinck3 View Post
    I don't know if modems support connecting via USB and ethernet simultaneously. That would be a highly unconventional setup and I doubt your PC would be able to "talk to" your SB, even if interne access managed to work. You're making this so hard on yourself! Just get a modem with a router and a 4 port switch built in (like the netgear DG834 or one of the other of hundreds of devices like this). Don't connect the modem to your PC via USB--connect it via ethernet.
    I have a Voyager 220 which I use with an ethernet switch, but I don't use the USB port. There is no indication in the handbook that it is able to make a connection between the ethernet port and a PC on USB. I believe it is designed to connect both the USB and ethernet ports to the internet only. Squeezebox would therefore not be able to connect to a slimserver running on the PC but would be able to connect to Squeezenetwork.

A Voyager 210 would be a risky venture and I would recommend an ADSL router such as a DG834G or similar - not expensive.
    P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 10.04 SBS 7.6.0 - r31284
    AMD64x2 ubuntu 10.04, SBS 7.5.2 - r30889
    Dell 10v WinXP SBS 7.5.2 - r31264
    Dell 10v ubuntu netbook remix 10.04, SBS 7.6.0 - r30830
    Players: Classic, Duet, Boom