Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fishbone Email plugin

I am running the email plug v1.42 in and SS 6.5.0 - 9916.

I put cmd.pm, email.mp3 and pop3.pm in server\cpan\net
    I put email.pm and email.mp3 (to be sure) in server\plugins

If on the SB3 I go to plugins/email pop3 then the first time it takes a couple of sconds to check for email and finds it. After that I can not get it to check for new emails. I have also never been able to get it to notify me automatically of a new email either on the display or via playing email.mp3. I have tried various checking times/alert times, and it is currently set to 2mins/60secs. Audible Email Alerts is selected.

Any thougths why it isnt working properly? It is probably irrelevant, but my SS directory is unusally c:\program files\slimserver1.

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Fishbone Email plugin

On 10-Dec-06, at 3:44 AM, rbl wrote:
    >
    > Any thougths why it isnt working properly? It is probably irrelevant,
    > but my SS directory is unusally c:\program files\slimserver1.
    >

The check is very simplistic, so if you are deleting emails from your
    email application, it might cause a problem. The check only tracks the
    number of emails retrieved, and when there is more, it calls them new.

Also, if you are using gmail, it only allows downloads of email once
    then they are gone.

i had planned to improve things at some point, but then I switched to
    IMAP and have no POP3 accounts with which to test (gmail doesn't count
    as they appear to be deliberately making it annoying to work with)

--kdf

Thanks for the help. I am not using gmail and I am not deleting emails during this testing phase. Also it only ever finds one email, even if there are several in the account.

The thing is when I go nioto the POP3 Email menu on the SB it only appears to try and update the first time (you can tell because it takes a second or two). After that it never updates, it just goes straight to the that menu level. Every time I go to the next level to check the email contents it does take a second or two to update.

And finally it never notifies me with a message / sound. I even tried setting the check/display times to 1 min/600 secs to make sure I didn't miss the message, but I still never got a message or audbible notification.

Any other ideas?

I believe that the server no longer allows the simple playback of tracks outside of the music folder, it might require moving the email.mp3 file into your music library and edit the $mailAlert line in the plugin to give the full pathname of the file. using d_command and d_source debugging might show more of what it going on there.

Also, I think you may not have the version that you expect. I just checked my site to find that the link for 1.42 is grabbing the 1.44 version which is for 7.0 builds. I've attached the Email.pm for 1.42 just in case. I'll have to fix the website later.

-kdf

I checked the version and it is the correct one. I ran it with debugging as suggested, and searched for "mail" and "error" in the log. I found the following lines of interest:

- "Couldn't push into new mode: [PLUGIN.Email] !: Undefined subroutine &Slim:isplay::Animation::showBriefly called at C:\Program Files\SlimServer1\server/Plugins/Email.pm line 246."

- "ERROR: Request: Error when trying to run function coderef [Slim::Control::Commands::buttonCommand]: [Undefined subroutine &Slim:isplay::Animation::bumpRight called at C:\Program Files\SlimServer1\server/Plugins/Email.pm line 362."

There are a lot of "deprecated" warnings for getCurrentDataStore, setExecuteCallback throughout the log.

I also tried changing the mailAlert line to the following which didn't seem to help:
    - "my $mailAlert = Slim::Utils::Misc::fileURLFromPath('J:\My Music\Original (flac)\email.mp3');"

Once again many thanks for your help!

right. well, I hate to have to say it, but I suspect this isn't going to work.

The plugin as it stands is basically garbage. I inherited it as an orphan, and have ended up letting it rot. 1.43 is targetted for 7.0 builds, and even with that is still suffering from a large amount of legacy code that either wont work or really needs to be updated. I am currently spending some time to convert all of my plugins to 7.0 compatibility. I'm looking into the possibility of rewriting the email plugin essentially from scratch at this point using Mail::POP3Client instead of Net::POP3 and I think it might not be too hard to implement proper message id checking. What remains to be seen is how much effort it will be to backport it to be 6.5 compatible.

Essentially rather difficult at the moment, due to my aforementioned inability to test. However, a quick search/replace on the known command changes results in the attached.

-kdf

ok - it sounds like I should move over to 7.0. There isn't really much point in you spending a lot of time on a version that will be obsolete soon anyway. Will try 7.0 ....

Once again, many thanks for your help

Re: Fishbone Email plugin

Quoting rbl <rbl.2io7wn1165873201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
    > ok - it sounds like I should move over to 7.0. There isn't really much
    > point in you spending a lot of time on a version that will be obsolete
    > soon anyway. Will try 7.0 ....

not a good plan. 7.0 is VERY experimental. 6.5.1 isn't going obsolete
    any time soon. There is a very long development schedule for 7.0 as
    there is a lot of rewriting planned.

-kdf

ok - thanks for the tip. I'll try 6.5.1 but I don't suppose that'll make much difference to this.

Re: Fishbone Email plugin

Quoting rbl <rbl.2io8tz1165874401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
    > ok - thanks for the tip. I'll try 6.5.1 but I don't suppose that'll make
    > much difference to this.

i wouldn't hold out much hope for the audible alarm but the code
    updates from the last attachement should get you a lot further than
    you were.

you can use d_plugins debugging to look for the repeated checking.

-kdf