Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

The Beatles- Love

Has anyone heard this? Master tape material extensively remastered and in many cases completely rearranged, tracks swapped, edited into a marketable show in Vegas.

I must admit it sounds bloody good though.

EDIT: Nice sounding podcast at: http://www.thebeatles.com/hub/love/p...ve_podcast.xml
    (paste into the 'Tune in URL' box)
    Last edited by Skunk; 2006-12-09 at 13:38.

Excellent job I think, both from a main stream and musicological points of view. Lot's of fun trying to link the dots. The Beatles are very much alive.

Haven't heard it yet, but it's on my list. My sister saw the show in Vegas and raved about it. Beatles producer George Martin and his son (the son primarily) did the editing. One review I read (The New Yorker) said some of the medleys didn't work very well (at least not without the Cirque de Soleil performers), but the mix quality is superb.

I've been listening to it repeatedly since the day it was released. The sound on this album is just unbeleivable. I can't wait for them to remaster the entire back catalog to this standard.

While the whole album flows beautifuly, the standout tracks for me are the Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing Medley, The Tomorrow Never Knows / Within You Without You Mashup and Here Comes the Sun/The Inner Light.

I bought the CD/DVD-A combo - I'm looking forward to listening to the DVD-A disc. I read that the surround mix is spectacular. Since I only have good 2 channel systems - I was thinking of hooking up the front, rear and center analogue outputs of my DVD-A/SACD player to multiple amps + speakers ... just to see how this sounds.

Nikhil

Re: The Beatles- Love

>I bought the CD/DVD-A combo - I'm looking forward to listening to the
    >DVD-A disc. I read that the surround mix is spectacular. Since I only
    >have good 2 channel systems - I was thinking of hooking up the front,
    >rear and center analogue outputs of my DVD-A/SACD player to multiple
    >amps + speakers ... just to see how this sounds.
    >

I bought the DVD version too.

I've ripped the normal CD to disk and played it a couple of times. I've also tried to rip the dolby digital ac3 files (5.1 channels, 48000 Hz), and have tried to convert these into a form that I can stream to my surround sound amp (I initially tried spdifconvert.py which has worked for other files in the past, but I have also tried downloading loads of other tools). The ac3 files play fine through software on the PC.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Phil

I agree that it does sound very good in parts, though hearing my favourite Beatles tracks intertwined in this way does take some getting used to. It reminds me of Stars on 45 in places unfortunately. I also didn't find any improvement in some of the reworkings - e.g. 'Hey Jude' is basically the original with a more pronounced bump in the mid-range, thus ruining what I liked most about the original recording.

It's probably stunning when heard in conjunction with the stage show.

it's good... but very theatrical. Essentially a soundtrack. I think if you keep in mind that it was made for the stage it works well. The DVD-A is pretty amazing sound wise.
    Slim Devices Squeezebox 3 Modified
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch
    Logitech Squeezebox Radio
    iPhone with iPeng
    iPad with iPeng HD
    FLAC FLAC and more FLAC

http://www.studionika.com.au