Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

what to use for CD storage?

It took almost two years but I've finally ripped every CD I own. I'd like to put the discs into storage.

Anybody know of some good storage boxes for CD organized and safe in storage? I need about 600 CDs worth of space.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
    It took almost two years but I've finally ripped every CD I own. I'd like to put the discs into storage.

Anybody know of some good storage boxes for CD organized and safe in storage? I need about 600 CDs worth of space.
    Review my post here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ight=cd+closet

Check out this page.

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Check out this page.
    Agreed. I went for the Jazzloft option and haven't regretted it. Acheived 4:1 compression ratio and a big box of empty CD cases to disappear into storage. Yet I can still get back to the original CD which, occasionally, I need to do (eg to consult the sleeve notes, or to re-rip if I find a bad one).

Ceejay

Chinesischer Apothekerschrank

My GF,
    decided to buy a "Chinese druggist cabinet" for our CD collection. It took a bit of searching and waiting for a cabinet to come up for bid that fit CD's and met our aesthetic requirements . Its a really pratical and classic looking solution the only negative is the cabinets are a bit expensive.

http://search.ebay.de/search/search....e=search&fgtp=

Thanks. Those are some interesting ideas.

My current desire is to put them into my storage unit. I'm doing some light remodeling of my house in preparation of selling in a few months.

I ended up finding some CD specific bankers boxes that were cheap.

The CD sleeves do make a lot of sense. There are a handful of discs whose cases I want to save but that's a fairly small percentage.

I used leather bound binders that hold about 60 CDs and booklet. I found them at www.handstands.com (they are the "Large CD/DVD Binders" and you can add extra pages to them up to about 60 CDs before the binders start to bulge too much). CompUSA, Staples and Office Depot carry them in the stores or you can order online, which I had to do when I found that I needed 17 binders just to free my shelves of my classical CD collection alone. I guess that means I had about 1000 classical CDs. I divided up the collection by period of music (early music through modern) and put the binders on a bookshelf. They look pretty nice, kind of like photo binders or scrapbooks, about 1 1/2 inches wide with labels on which I printed the period of music stuffed inside. I had to bite the bullet and just throw out the plastic cases, even though some of the double and triple box sets had some nice graphics on the boxes that I pitched. I filled 6 large outdoor garbage bags with cases. They weighed a ton. I freed up 7 shelves of my CD wall shelves for my jazz and acoustic collection, which I listen much more frequently to these days. Still, I guess I need to stop collecting music. There is just too much plastic involved, taking up too much space!
    I bought some extra binders in case I think of other discrete music collections I can house in them instead of on the shelves--like Soundtracks, or 80's music, or Grunge, etc.

I've never really liked binders in general. My desire is to actually put the CDs in a storage facility for the time being and then determine a permanent storage solution after I move.

I did decide the other night to ditch the majority of my jewel cases and ordered sleeves from Jazzloft.

Fortunately or not, the boxes I ordered 5 days ago from Amazon haven't shown up yet. I got a ship notice yesterday but today I got an email from Amazon showing a refund for the entire amount.

But with the space savings afforded by sleeves, I won't need so many boxes.