Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question newbie TS-101 questions

All being well, I should take delivery of the above tomorrow.
    The SB3 is another story. Ripcaster were out of black wifi's, so ordered from ebuyer, accidently put wrong card date in, wouldn't let me change payment, cancelled and ordered again, now subject to security check "which could hold your order up by 48-72 hours" Arrgh !!!

Anyway, back to the TS-101.
    Am I better ripping my CD's directly to it's disk, or my desktop's disk and then transfer to the TS-101 ?

Peter

The TS101 is a nice device but by default does not have slimserver installed. Paul at Progressive (UK) (www.progressiveav.com) provide an update - in the UK via a voucher... or it could also be that it was installed before your purchase. You can also do other things with the TS101 - there is a nice wiki we are developing at http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Ope...ostation:TS101

Enjoy
    Last edited by roamingstudio; 2006-11-16 at 00:33.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by roamingstudio View Post
    The TS101 is a nice device but by default does not have slimserver installed. Paul at Progressive (UK) (www.progressiveav.com) provide an update - in the UK via a voucher... or it could also be that it was installed before your purchase. You can also do other things with the TS101 - there is a nice wiki we are developing at http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Qna...ostation:TS101

Enjoy
    Thanks, it is a Progressive 101 via Ripcaster so it should have SS installed.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 2pods View Post
    Anyway, back to the TS-101.
    Am I better ripping my CD's directly to it's disk, or my desktop's disk and then transfer to the TS-101 ?
    Depends on what format you will be ripping to, and whether it will be re-encoded to another format.
    For example ripping a CD straight to MP3 could be done to the TS-101 disk.
    But ripping to WMV and then re-encoding to FLAC would have to be done on the desktop. The TS-101 can't run the re-encoding program.

Personally I always rip to desktop (in FLAC), then make sure all names & tags are correct and then copy across

Thumbs up

That'll do for me :-)

I want to use FLAC anyway, though I was surprised (especially in the "Audiophile" forum) given the hifi quality of the SB3 nobody is using .wav ?

Peter

There should be no advantage in using .wav over FLAC. FLAC files contain every bit of information contained in the original .wav.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
    There should be no advantage in using .wav over FLAC. FLAC files contain every bit of information contained in the original .wav.
    Thanks for the info Fifer

Peter

I rip directly to the TS101. The conversion Wav->FLAC all happens perfectly happily on the TS101 disk. However, it is a little slower than performing the rip to a local disk.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by peterbell View Post
    I rip directly to the TS101. The conversion Wav->FLAC all happens perfectly happily on the TS101 disk. However, it is a little slower than performing the rip to a local disk.
    As I am connected to the router via wifi, I'll probably go the desktop first route.

Peter