Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DirectViewer
    • Oct 2006

Newbie seeking the best sound quality

Would the SB3, or the Transporter, be a sonic improvement over my current setup? I play WAV files directly from my PC to a digital input on a Theta Casablanca 3 with Extreme DACs.

My "sound card" is a Realtek AC '97 chip on the motherboard, and its only digital output is coax. I don't know whether it resamples or not.

The cable is a 50ft 2X shielded OFC RG6 cable with gold-plated connectors from monoPrice.com. There is no hum or audible noise.

The Theta is plugged into an EquiTek balanced power conditioner and is (I think) isolated from the AC circuit into which the PC is plugged.

Because the Theta DACs are so good, I would expect to use the S/PDIF output on the SB3 or Transporter.

Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks!
  • tomsi42
    • Nov 2005

If you are using windows, it is a big possibility that you aren't getting the best sound possible. Windows does some processing to the files before they go the the DAC.

In your case, I would recommend the SB3, and that you convert your music files to FLAC or Apple lossless. This is to embed the artist name, track, name etc into the music files (as well as takes less disc space). Use Apple lossless if you are using iTunes, otherwise use FLAC.

Another benefit is that you don't have to place the PC near your stereo.

Tom
    SB3, Rotel RC-1070/RB-1070, dynaBel Exact, Kimber Kable 4TC and Timbre.

Comment

• peejay
      • Aug 2006

Move away fromt he PC

Generally. moving audio reproduction circuits away from any possible interference is a first move to improving sound quality.
      The humble act of moving power cables away from source or speaker cables in a stereo setup, for example, can in some cases make an audible difference. In the case of a PC, the RF (Radio Frequency) influence on the soundcard is likely to be significant, and an on-board chip and audio stage is likely to suffer even more so.
      I echo Tom's advice of the Squeezebox setup, as a first measure.
      I've got a fever above my waist
      You got a squeeze box on your knee
      I know the truth is in between the 1st and 40th drink - Tori Amos
      Squeezebox Classic -> NAD T743 -> Krix Phoenix
      Oh, and a BOOM...

Comment

• probedb
        • Oct 2006

As far as I'm aware AC'97 requires that all signals are mixed to 16-bit 48KHz? In windows it's possible to bypass kmixer which does this nasty stuff but it maybe that your onboard sound does this as well...i.e. all Creative cards do this in hardware.

Unless you're doing things like bypassing kmixer I doubt your PC is passing untouched digital signals to your DAC.

I'd say the squeezebox will give better quality, but like everything it's subjective as to whether or not you can actually tell the difference.
        last.fm

Comment

• peejay
          • Aug 2006

Subjective indeed

Originally posted by probedb
          As far as I'm aware AC'97 requires that all signals are mixed to 16-bit 48KHz? In windows it's possible to bypass kmixer which does this nasty stuff but it maybe that your onboard sound does this as well...i.e. all Creative cards do this in hardware.

Unless you're doing things like bypassing kmixer I doubt your PC is passing untouched digital signals to your DAC.

I'd say the squeezebox will give better quality, but like everything it's subjective as to whether or not you can actually tell the difference.
          I Agree, it is all subjective - in the ears of the beholder, so to speak. Computer and audio delivery technologies are inevitably merging, but discreet audio devices such as the squeezebox, still have the edge, IMHO.
          I've got a fever above my waist
          You got a squeeze box on your knee
          I know the truth is in between the 1st and 40th drink - Tori Amos
          Squeezebox Classic -> NAD T743 -> Krix Phoenix
          Oh, and a BOOM...

Comment

• tomjtx
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DirectViewer
            Would the SB3, or the Transporter, be a sonic improvement over my current setup? I play WAV files directly from my PC to a digital input on a Theta Casablanca 3 with Extreme DACs.

Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks!
            Why not buy a TP direct and get a free SB3?
            That way you can compare both. If you don't think the TP is better, sell it for 1,700
            and break even. There are plenty of people who have SB's that would love to get a TP for 1,700.
            But please try the TP without the Theta for at least a week. Don't assume the Theta is better. You might be surprised and end up selling the Theta.

Comment

• probedb
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by peejay
              I Agree, it is all subjective - in the ears of the beholder, so to speak. Computer and audio delivery technologies are inevitably merging, but discreet audio devices such as the squeezebox, still have the edge, IMHO.
              I agree with you there. Takes some very high quality sound cards to get the quality analogue out from a PC Digital is easier but usually a bit messier due to Windows messing with the audio without you asking.
              last.fm

Comment

• DirectViewer
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by tomsi42
                If you are using windows, it is a big possibility that you aren't getting the best sound possible. Windows does some processing to the files before they go the the DAC.

In your case, I would recommend the SB3, and that you convert your music files to FLAC or Apple lossless. This is to embed the artist name, track, name etc into the music files (as well as takes less disc space). Use Apple lossless if you are using iTunes, otherwise use FLAC.

Another benefit is that you don't have to place the PC near your stereo.

Tom
                Thanks, Tom. I play WAV files with Foobar2000 (http://www.foobar2000.org/) using the "kernel streaming" option, which bypasses Windows and sends the output directly to the sound chip.

FLAC sounds like a great idea. I will definitely look into it.

Comment

• DirectViewer
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by peejay
                  Generally. moving audio reproduction circuits away from any possible interference is a first move to improving sound quality.
                  The humble act of moving power cables away from source or speaker cables in a stereo setup, for example, can in some cases make an audible difference. In the case of a PC, the RF (Radio Frequency) influence on the soundcard is likely to be significant, and an on-board chip and audio stage is likely to suffer even more so.
                  I echo Tom's advice of the Squeezebox setup, as a first measure.
                  Thanks, peejay!
                  Last edited by DirectViewer; 2006-11-03, 04:02.

Comment

• DirectViewer
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by probedb

As I replied to tomsi42, I seem to be bypassing kmixer, at least for WAV files. (I didn't know it until I saw your postings and checked.) Of course, that doesn't apply to Pandora.

Comment

• DirectViewer
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by tomjtx
                      Why not buy a TP direct and get a free SB3?
                      That way you can compare both. If you don't think the TP is better, sell it for 1,700
                      and break even. There are plenty of people who have SB's that would love to get a TP for 1,700.
                      Well, it seems clear from the postings that there is at least a good chance that getting the playback out of the PC will improve the sound. So I'll take your advice. With the 30-day return policy I won't even have the hassle of selling it.

But please try the TP without the Theta for at least a week. Don't assume the Theta is better. You might be surprised and end up selling the Theta.
                      I'm confused by that, Tom. The Theta is a full-blown A/V preamp/processor through which I run all my source devices. It has both analog and digital audio inputs. Are you saying that I should try using an analog hookup (i.e. use the DACs in the TP), or that I should run the TP directly to my power amps?

Comment

• tomjtx
                        • Sep 2006

Well, it seems clear from the postings that there is at least a good chance that getting the playback out of the PC will improve the sound. So I'll take your advice. With the 30-day return policy I won't even have the hassle of selling it.

I'm confused by that, Tom. The Theta is a full-blown A/V preamp/processor through which I run all my source devices. It has both analog and digital audio inputs. Are you saying that I should try using an analog hookup (i.e. use the DACs in the TP), or that I should run the TP directly to my power amps?
                        I was thinking the theta was a dac only.
                        But I think you should try the TP dac and run its analog using the theta as a line level preamp.
                        You can also run the TP straight to the amp, but use the attenuation inside the TP that works through the RCA outs.
                        There is a thread on this with much more detail.
                        You might like the TP dac more than the theta but you will only know if you try it.
                        The reason I recommend at least a week is that the TP,to my ears, improves a lot with time. It's great out of the box, but even better after a few weeks IMHO

Comment

• DirectViewer
                          • Oct 2006

I was thinking the theta was a dac only.
                          But I think you should try the TP dac and run its analog using the theta as a line level preamp.
                          You can also run the TP straight to the amp, but use the attenuation inside the TP that works through the RCA outs.
                          There is a thread on this with much more detail.
                          You might like the TP dac more than the theta but you will only know if you try it.
                          The reason I recommend at least a week is that the TP,to my ears, improves a lot with time. It's great out of the box, but even better after a few weeks IMHO
                          Thanks, Tom, I'll give it a try.

Comment

• tomjtx
                            • Sep 2006

Thanks, Tom, I'll give it a try.
                            Ley us know what you end up liking the best.

Comment

• DirectViewer
                              • Oct 2006

Ley us know what you end up liking the best.
                              Yes, I shall.

My first step will be to download and install Slim Server because I need to have that running smoothly before the hardware can work.

Comment

Working...