Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Newbie help on setting up SlimServer on NSLU2

Hi all!
    As a complete newbie I have tried setting up SlimServer on my new NSLU2 with information from

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer
    All works well until I get to the part

"Now edit the file /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl to add some options to the XML Parser, this is because expat is installed in a non-standard location on the slug. (you need to add the XML Parser section)"
    then I got this message "# /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.5.0/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
    Can't locate File/Which.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN CP
    AN /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/armv5b-linux /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_pe
    rl/5.8.8/armv5b-linux /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl .)
    at /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.5.0/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl line 20.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.5.0/Bin/build-perl
    -modules.pl line 20."

I have absolutely NO IDEAS what to do and how to do it, could PLEASE someone help me out before losing all of my hair??
    Attached Files Attached Files

Newbie help on setting up SlimServer on NSLU2

> As a complete newbie I have tried setting up SlimServer on my new NSLU2
    > with information from

Disclaimer: I've got no idea about the NSLU.

> /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.5.0/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
    > Can't locate File/Which.pm in

You need to install File/Which.pm first. Please don't ask me where you can
    find it for the NSLU, but I guess from the same source as you got the
    other Perl modules.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
    http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

In the instructions there are the following steps
    before the edit instruction you talk about.
    You'll also need the which command, as well as expat (if which complains about missing "libz.so", run "ipkg install zlib" ):
    # ipkg install which
    # ipkg install expat
    Did you install the which and expat ?
    check using ipkg list_installed
    Last edited by bpa; 2006-09-29 at 00:09. Reason: correct list-installed typo

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    In the instructions there are the following steps
    before the edit instruction you talk about.

Did you install the which and expat ?
    check using ipkg list_installed
    Hi!
    Yes I installed which and expat successfully(see enclosed file)...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Lord Vader; 2006-09-29 at 01:13. Reason: Forgot the enclosed file...

I just noticed you are trying to install 6.5 - from other message on the forum, it is more complicated than earlier version on NSLU2 - it need MySql. I would advise installing 6.0.2 (http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads..._v6.0.2.tar.gz ) as per the instructions - then try 6.3.1 (http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads..._v6.3.1.tar.gz ) . Then other users may have got the 6.5 install correct and posted full instructions.

Also install into /usr/local/slimserver and not /usr/local/slimserver_v6.5.0 (or whatever version).

I just noticed you are trying to install 6.5 - from other message on the forum, it is more complicated than earlier version on NSLU2 - it need MySql. I would advise installing 6.0.2 (http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads..._v6.0.2.tar.gz ) as per the instructions - then try 6.3.1 (http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads..._v6.3.1.tar.gz ) . Then other users may have got the 6.5 install correct and posted full instructions.

Also install into /usr/local/slimserver and not /usr/local/slimserver_v6.5.0 (or whatever version).
    I gave it a try with version 6.0.2 but when I get to the step
    "Now edit the file /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl to add some options to the XML Parser, this is because expat is installed in a non-standard location on the slug. (you need to add the XML Parser section)"
    I get this:
    "# usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
    usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl: No such file or directory"
    My Slimserver (as I can see in windows explorer) is located in
    \\Nslu2\ADMIN 2\usr\local\SlimServer_v6.0.2\Bin

When I try to edit the file (within windows) usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl with wordpad access denied when trying to save...

Sorry for asking all this and how to do, but I am complete new to Linux and I really appreciate help!

[QUOTE=Lord Vader;140955]I gave it a try with version 6.0.2 but when I get to the step
    I get this:
    "# usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
    usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl: No such file or directory"
    My Slimserver (as I can see in windows explorer) is located in
    \\Nslu2\ADMIN 2\usr\local\SlimServer_v6.0.2\Bin

When I try to edit the file (within windows) usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl with wordpad access denied when trying to save...

Sorry for asking all this and how to do, but I am complete new to Linux and I really appreciate help![/QUOTE

One problem solved... I have gotten so far as below now, question is what to do now??

"# /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
    Welcome to the Slim Devices perl module installer.

These packages are needed for SlimServer 6 to function.
    You will need a C compiler (gcc), make, and perl installed.

*** Ignore any warnings about AppConfig. ***

Please enter a perl binary to use (defaults to /usr/bin/perl)
    This must be the same perl binary that you ran this program with -->"

OK - the build-perl-modules will ask 3 questions. Before you run these you need a temporary directory so do
    mkdir /usr/local/temp

The questions:
    1. Location of perl - press return and it will use the default
    2. Location of Slimserver - from your log enter (no quotes) "/usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2"
    3. Location of a temporary directory - enter the name of the directory you just created "/usr/local/temp"

The routine will now try to download a number of perl modules from Slimserver and then compile them. If there are no problem then you can continue with the "Howto" instructions.

It is possible that downloading will fail or compilation will fail due to a "segmentation error". In which case make another post.

What version of Linux is installed on your NSLU2. I have just built SlimServer 6.3.1 for an ARM system and I might be able to save you time by bundling the binaries if the versions are compatible.

OK - the build-perl-modules will ask 3 questions. Before you run these you need a temporary directory so do
    mkdir /usr/local/temp

The questions:
    1. Location of perl - press return and it will use the default
    2. Location of Slimserver - from your log enter (no quotes) "/usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2"
    3. Location of a temporary directory - enter the name of the directory you just created "/usr/local/temp"

The routine will now try to download a number of perl modules from Slimserver and then compile them. If there are no problem then you can continue with the "Howto" instructions.

It is possible that downloading will fail or compilation will fail due to a "segmentation error". In which case make another post.

What version of Linux is installed on your NSLU2. I have just built SlimServer 6.3.1 for an ARM system and I might be able to save you time by bundling the binaries if the versions are compatible.
    Just a question before I try what you wrote. In the setup guide it says "Now edit the file /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl to add some options to the XML Parser, this is because expat is installed in a non-standard location on the slug. (you need to add the XML Parser section)"
    How do I edit the file before trying to run the SlimServer script?
    Once again, I am so grateful for your help and taking the time!!

Probably because of permissions. I think it may be easier to install an editor on the NSLU2 and then edit on the NSLU2. A suitable editor is nano. To install try the following command (I hope you have access to the right repositories).
    ipkg install nano

Then to edit the file
    nano build-perl-modules.pl

It is a very simple screen editor - see help prompts at the bottom of the screen.