Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the update. I'll run some tests as you suggest and let you know the results.
    P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 10.04 SBS 7.6.0 - r31284
    AMD64x2 ubuntu 10.04, SBS 7.5.2 - r30889
    Dell 10v WinXP SBS 7.5.2 - r31264
    Dell 10v ubuntu netbook remix 10.04, SBS 7.6.0 - r30830
    Players: Classic, Duet, Boom

Bit Rate Limit Test - Observations

Music files

File mp3 128K converted to 64K as displayed on SB3 screen. Lame launches at start of track at 90% - 99% CPU usage, and stops after 45-60 secs . When lame stops, network traffic reduces to background level from 500K, indicating that the track has been loaded into SB3 buffer. Slimserver can be stopped at this point and the track will continue to play to its end.

File wma 97K converted to 64K as displayed on SB3 screen. Lame and wmadec launch at start of track and both drop after 45-60 sec when network traffic drops from around 500K to background (9K6) as per above observation.

The indicated network rate of 500K at start of track implies that bitrate limit is not actually happening.

Internet Radio Streams

mp3 128K converted to 64K as displayed on SB3 screen. No evidence of lame being launched at stream start; therefore conclude that the bitrate conversion is not happening. Because of buffering, it is impossible to measure the actual server output bit rate. Debug log indicates that although conversion is attempted it gives up and goes to direct mode.

aac+ 32K will not run when bitrate limit set. No evidence of lame starting.

wma 128K converted to 64K as displayed on SB3 screen. Lame and wmadec launched. Buffering took a long time (2mins) and when eventually loaded, the output was white noise. CPU usage 100%. Debug log attached

wma 128K No limit SB3 built-in wma deselected. Network rate 1.5Mb/s - output OK.

wma 128K converted to 320K as displayed on SB3 screen - SB3 built-in wma deselected. Lame and wmadec running output OK. Network rate limited to 320K. Working as it should but CPU usage is 100% - mainly lame.

Conclude that an indication of conversion on the SB3 screen does not reflect the reality of any conversion or limit.

The player connects directly to internet streams on any built-in protocol, and once a stream is playing, slimserver can be stopped and the music will continue for as long as the stream stays up - the information on the SB3 display is of course lost.

Debugging.

Debugging logs using d_directstream and d_source for mp3 and wma streams are attached.
    Last edited by Ramage; 2008-04-14 at 00:50.

sorry to bump this conversation but has anyone managed to solve this issue?
    I'm also trying to stream aacplus radio station but because I'm using remote slimserver I'm forced to use bitrate limiting.
    While I generally do not have problems with any other formats aacplus fails as soon as you switch bitrate limiting on.

Slimserver should use custom-convert.conf entry for aap->mp3 but instead it thinks it can decode aacplus stream directly and fails miserably.

help anyone?

Nothing has been done. There is a bit of uncertainty but if there is any resolution from the developers it will not be until 7.0. Officially it was not intended that streams be capable of being bit rate limited so AFAICT the functionality of bit rate limiting aacplus in 6.3 was fortuitous.

You should check whether the stream in question also provides an MP3 stream - most aacplus station also provide a lower quality mp3.

I may look at the code in more detail to see what is happening but to be honest getting aacplus was all I needed.

well I got it sorted

took advice from Bryan http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4266

In the sub canDirectStream in file /Slim/Player/Protocols/HTTP.pm - line 189
    if (defined $command && $command eq '-' || $format eq 'mp3') {

The "|| $format eq 'mp3'" seems to overide any bitrate conversion and makes sure direct streaming happens.
    As soon as I changed this sub by removing "|| $format eq 'mp3'" (actually I added additional 'if' statement inside this original 'if' to check for 'aap' and 'mp3') - aacplus started working as it should with or without bitrate limiting. I'm not sure if this will have some side effects but for now I'm one happy guy at long last I can stream my favorite radio from my dedicated web server (kind of customised/private SqueezeNetwork) wherever I am - office or home.

best regards
    raff
    Last edited by raff; 2006-12-13 at 09:43.

That is my patch - there are some side effects but I can't remember the details. Maybe your addition gets rid of the effects.

Full credit to you then ... I didn't realise that Bryan and bpa is the same person - my apologies.
    Anyhow I don't really understand the reasoning of developers. If such facility is available why removing it? In the end it makes the server software so much more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by raff View Post
    well I got it sorted

took advice from Bryan http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4266

As soon as I changed this sub by removing "|| $format eq 'mp3'" (actually I added additional 'if' statement inside this original 'if' to check for 'aap' and 'mp3') - aacplus started working as it should with or without bitrate limiting. I'm not sure if this will have some side effects but for now I'm one happy guy at long last I can stream my favorite radio from my dedicated web server (kind of customised/private SqueezeNetwork) wherever I am - office or home.

best regards
    raff
    Raff

Could you post the details of your modified bpa patch on here, my PERL skills are very limited?

I simply added additional check for $type of the stream (aap) and $format (mp3)
    It is not perfect - it's too 'specific' for 'universality' of the code but it works for me
    In fact I agree with Bryan - this check on "$format eq 'mp3'" shouldn't be there at all but since it is, it might have some other purpose which I'm not aware of...

This patch should not affect other parts of the code but should enable you to do bitrate limiting on AACPlus streams.

Have a look at "/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Player/Protocols/HTTP.pm" starting at line 189.

then change this:

Code:
           return $url;
    }
    to this:

Code:
       if ($type eq 'aap' && $format eq 'mp3') {
           return 0;
        } else {
           return $url;
        }
    }
    HTH
    raff

Quote Originally Posted by raff View Post
    I simply added additional check for $type of the stream (aap) and $format (mp3)
    It is not perfect - it's too 'specific' for 'universality' of the code but it works for me
    In fact I agree with Bryan - this check on "$format eq 'mp3'" shouldn't be there at all but since it is, it might have some other purpose which I'm not aware of...

This patch should not affect other parts of the code but should enable you to do bitrate limiting on AACPlus streams.

Have a look at "/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Player/Protocols/HTTP.pm" starting at line 189.

then change this:

Code:
           return $url;
    }
    to this:

Code:
       if ($type eq 'aap' && $format eq 'mp3') {
           return 0;
        } else {
           return $url;