Qnap TS-101 & SS 6.5 Installation Issues & Updates

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heuer
    • Nov 2005

Mine does. Upgraded to 6.5 with no problems. The new SS version has improved the 'pause' when manually forcing a move to next track in random play to about 3 seconds, down from 10 seconds.

Incidentally I have not upgraded to the latest Qnap firmware (If it ain't broke .... etc) but it seems everyone who has, and gone to 6.5, is having spin down problems.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

• Jerryacg
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Heuer
      Mine does. Upgraded to 6.5 with no problems. The new SS version has improved the 'pause' when manually forcing a move to next track in random play to about 3 seconds, down from 10 seconds.

Incidentally I have not upgraded to the latest Qnap firmware (If it ain't broke .... etc) but it seems everyone who has, and gone to 6.5, is having spin down problems.

Thats interesting. I upgraded to latest QNAP firmware on its release.Upgrade to SS6.5 proved disasterous last week.the qnap never stopped accessing so never slept.Music wouldn't play correctly.Other posts show this is a common problem. Paul is currently investigating. Not enough RAM in the QNAP seems to be prime suspect. Maybe its the latest QNAP firmware thats incompatible with SS6.5.

Comment

• mr_hyde
        • Jun 2006

Hello,

i own a Synology diskstation 106 and i read in your thread something about the possibility to transfer the swap to a USB drive. I have tested it on the Diskstation. It seems to work with SS6.5. The NAS goes to standby mode with HDD sleep. It takes a little bit longer than for the SS 6.3.1, but at lest after 60 minutes the DS is in standby mode.

I have used a USB Card reader with a compact flash card.

So it should also work with your NAS.

mr_hyde
        2 x Squeezebox 3 - 1 x Squeezebox Touch - Squeezecenter 7.9.1 / MusicIP in Container station - QNAP TS453A - 4 x 3 TB Hitachi (RAID5)

Comment

• Fifer
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Jerryacg
          Thats interesting. I upgraded to latest QNAP firmware on its release.Upgrade to SS6.5 proved disasterous last week.the qnap never stopped accessing so never slept.Music wouldn't play correctly.Other posts show this is a common problem. Paul is currently investigating. Not enough RAM in the QNAP seems to be prime suspect. Maybe its the latest QNAP firmware thats incompatible with SS6.5.
          I'm using 6.5 with the latest Qnap firmware and other than the slow web interface, it works perfectly.

Comment

• Jerryacg
            • May 2006

Originally posted by ultra238a
            Jerry

Don't jump to conclusions. Adding memory to the TS-101 can be done, the OS can handle extra memory and it shouldn't need any extra cooling.

Let me just get a couple of samples up and running and tested and then I will report back.

I don't think I have particularly let anybody down in the past and I have always provided a solution one way or another. I don't intend to start letting people down now on this product.

At the end of the day 6.3.1 works fine unless you have a Transporter. 6.5 runs fine if you don't want to use the web front end and don't want the HDD to spin down.

Lets keep it real for a couple of days!
            Reading the last few days posts, there seems to be a few users who have got 6.5 working as it should with the TS101, inc hard disc spinning down. And others who have been hanging on for a solution to the TS101s lack of memory, which was initially tabled as a possible issue last week. It would be really helpfull if those who have got the upgrade to work succesfully could list out the process they used, along with their setup re wireless/wired, No of SBs, etc.

Comment

• mav
              • Oct 2006

Hi all - I am new to this forum, having only installed my system at the weekend, but here are my findings:

I have a nap TS101 with slimserver plus 2 squeezeboxes, running over a wireless network with a D-link router.

The Qnap had Slimserver 6.2.? installed from new, and I was very nervous about upgrading after reading previous posts, but on Friday I set the system up, and decided to go for it.

I am happy to report that all went well, and I am now running 6.5 with the plugins including Alien BBC, and apart from a very slow server front end, which I haven't used really everything is working great.

The Qnap spins down no problem, and response at the squeezeboxes is great. I only have about 150 albums loaded on as yet in lossless format, but both boxes played all Saturday and Sunday without problems.

I hope this helps

mav

Comment

• Fifer
                • May 2005

My TS-101 connects to my wireless router/modem via ethernet then the connection to my single SB is wireless. My upgrade process was simple; download update to Qnap, restart Qnap, wait for rescan to complete, allow SB to update firmware, play music.

As I said, everything works fine except for the slow web front-end. I've never been able to get the disc to spin down with any version of SS, but I've never really spent that much time trying and I assume it might be because I'm also using the Qnap as a wireless print server on my network.

Comment

• Heuer
                  • Nov 2005

My setup is two SB3's (one wired, one wireless) to a wired TS-101. I have 1615 Albums, 1170 Artists and 7548 songs in FLAC format. No plugins. I have not upgraded to the latest Qnap firmware but have upgraded to 6.5. Everything seems to work as expected and some responses (stepping forward in random play) are improved.

To give you all something to think about I did a comparison between a standard TS-101 500Gb, and a ReadyNAS NV 2Tb with 1Gb of RAM. Both have the same song library and both are running 6.5. I stopwatched some responses but am at a loss to explain the differences.

From the Home screen (both units were out of standby with no other processes running) I selected Browse Albums and then Browse Artists:

Qnap TS-101 - 34 seconds to display Albums
                  ReadyNAS NV - 45 seconds to display Albums

Qnap TS-101 - 12 seconds to display Artists
                  ReadyNAS NV - 15 seconds to display Artists

Qnap TS-101 - 3 seconds pause on 'forward track' random play
                  ReadyNAS NV - 5 seconds pause on 'forward track' random play

The Qnap has 300Gb of data, the NV 600Gb of which some 200Gb is FLAC songs. Rest is archive material on both.

So upgrading the memory of the Qnap may not be the panacea for better performance. Certainly the Qnap responds quicker to the remote than the NV.
                  Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
                  Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
                  Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
                  Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
                  Bedroom: Radio
                  Shed: Radio
                  Workshop: Boom
                  Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
                  Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

• Jerryacg
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by mav
                    Hi all - I am new to this forum, having only installed my system at the weekend, but here are my findings:

I have a nap TS101 with slimserver plus 2 squeezeboxes, running over a wireless network with a D-link router.

The Qnap had Slimserver 6.2.? installed from new, and I was very nervous about upgrading after reading previous posts, but on Friday I set the system up, and decided to go for it.

I am happy to report that all went well, and I am now running 6.5 with the plugins including Alien BBC, and apart from a very slow server front end, which I haven't used really everything is working great.

The Qnap spins down no problem, and response at the squeezeboxes is great. I only have about 150 albums loaded on as yet in lossless format, but both boxes played all Saturday and Sunday without problems.

I hope this helps

mav
                    Thats really helpfull. What version of QNAP firmware have you got installed on your TS101?

Comment

• Jerryacg
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by mr_hyde
                      Hello,

i own a Synology diskstation 106 and i read in your thread something about the possibility to transfer the swap to a USB drive. I have tested it on the Diskstation. It seems to work with SS6.5. The NAS goes to standby mode with HDD sleep. It takes a little bit longer than for the SS 6.3.1, but at lest after 60 minutes the DS is in standby mode.

I have used a USB Card reader with a compact flash card.

So it should also work with your NAS.

mr_hyde
                      How did you programme SS to transfer the swap to the USB drive. Or did it do it automatically?

Comment

• mr_hyde
                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jerryacg
                        How did you programme SS to transfer the swap to the USB drive. Or did it do it automatically?
                        Hi,

via telnet, i run the command mkswap /dev/sda1 (the usb device) (the device has to be unmounted).
                        Then i run the command swapon /dev/sda1 to enable the swapdevice. After that i had to unable the origin swap device (/dev/hda2 @ Synology diskstation). The system managed itself to use the usb drive, because there is no other swap device.

mr_hyde
                        2 x Squeezebox 3 - 1 x Squeezebox Touch - Squeezecenter 7.9.1 / MusicIP in Container station - QNAP TS453A - 4 x 3 TB Hitachi (RAID5)

Comment

• mav
                          • Oct 2006

Hi Jerryacg,

I looked up the details and found "1.2.1 build 0822T" - is this the info that you referred to?

mav

Comment

• Jerryacg
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by mav
                            Hi Jerryacg,

I looked up the details and found "1.2.1 build 0822T" - is this the info that you referred to?

mav
                            Hi

Thanks. Yes thats the latest QNAP firmware.

Comment

• Jerryacg
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by ultra238a
                              Jerry

Don't jump to conclusions. Adding memory to the TS-101 can be done, the OS can handle extra memory and it shouldn't need any extra cooling.

Let me just get a couple of samples up and running and tested and then I will report back.

I don't think I have particularly let anybody down in the past and I have always provided a solution one way or another. I don't intend to start letting people down now on this product.

At the end of the day 6.3.1 works fine unless you have a Transporter. 6.5 runs fine if you don't want to use the web front end and don't want the HDD to spin down.

Lets keep it real for a couple of days!
                              Paul,

SS6.5/QNAP. Have you come to any conclusions following your sample test?

Thanks

Jerry

Comment

• Jerryacg
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by mav
                                Hi Jerryacg,

mav
                                Mav

I had another go at installing 6.5 overnight. Everything went in perfectly. Flac streams played. HDD spin down worked. Then I installed the All in One Update, and the disc will now not sleep. On your previous post, you mentioned that ALIENBBC installed OK on your system. At what point of the upgrade progress did you install this plugin?

Jerry

Comment

Working...