Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Problem with missing environment variable for scanner.pl started by slimserver.pl

Hello

I hope that I am in the right forum..

I am the author of SSODS which allows to run Slimserver on a Synology Diskstation (a NAS). DS hereafter.

Since the DS ships with a very minimal Linux system, I have to install (compile) Perl myself to make Slimserver run.

I installed perl and all necessary libraries in an unusual location which is /volume1/SSODS. The libraries are in /volume1/SSODS/lib.

Slimserver is started through a shell script which sets necessary environment variables for perl. Something like this:

export PATH=/volume1/SSODS/bin
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/volume1/SSODS/lib

perl /volume1/SlimServer/slimserver.pl (and --cachedir ... etc.)

That works great, slimserver.pl is started and it finds the custom mysql in the path (/volume1/SSODS/bin/mysqld).

Now, when slimserver starts the scanner.pl program it starts a new perl process for it. But for that process the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable is no longer available and so XML::Parser::Expat cannot find the /volume1/SSODS/lib/libexpat.so library. scanner.pl complains and quits.

I understand, that this separate perl process is started using Proc::Background::new(...). In that function the variable is available. The following command i inserted there prints out the variable as expected.

printf "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=".$ENV{"LD_LIBRARY_PATH"}."\n "

Output: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/volume1/SSODS/lib

Now I made a fake scanner.pl which contains the above line. Now in this process the variable is gone. The screen says:

Output: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=

Then I tried to set the variable in the original scanner.pl in the BEGIN block as follows:

$ENV{'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'} = '/volume1/SSODS/lib';

Well, the variable is there after that (checked with a printf) but perl still cannot load XML::Parser::Expat.

I reckon, that the variable has to be available before the perl process starts.

Hence the following work-around works:

I renamed the scanner.pl to scanner2.pl and replaced scanner.pl with the following code:

-------------------------------------------
    @args = ("/usr/bin/env", "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/volume1/SSODS/lib", "/volume1/SSODS/bin/perl", "/volume1/SlimServer/scanner2.pl", @ARGV);

system(@args);

-------------------------------------------

Now it works! :-)

If i put the following code in the modified scanner.pl i see some env variables (PATH, HTTP_REQUEST and other HTTP_something). I wonder where these come from.

foreach $var (sort keys %ENV ) {
    print "$var=\"$ENV{$var}\"\n";
    }

Now to the questions:

Where do I have to pass the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to the second perl process for the scanner?

Somewhere in Proc::Background?

Somewhere in Slimserver?

I was looking around, starting at Slim::Music::Import::launchScan() but did not find anything.

Should I modify launchScan() so that it starts the process via env like in my fake scanner.pl?

Regards,
    flip
    Last edited by flipflip; 2006-09-22 at 10:43.
    Check out flipflip's Squeezebox Server On (some) DiskStation (SSODS) and on (some) TurboStations (SSOTS) and some other devices! Please do NOT file SSODS bugs in (SD's) bugzilla. Use the forums. And only the forums. Thanks.

Problem with missing environment variablefor scanner.pl started by slimserver.pl

Is there an /etc/ld.so.conf on the Synology?

If so, modify that to add the paths where the .so files are.

-D
    --
    "Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sully View Post
    Is there an /etc/ld.so.conf on the Synology?
    No, there isn't. I'll try what happens when I create one (after dinner.. :-).

Thanks,

flip
    Check out flipflip's Squeezebox Server On (some) DiskStation (SSODS) and on (some) TurboStations (SSOTS) and some other devices! Please do NOT file SSODS bugs in (SD's) bugzilla. Use the forums. And only the forums. Thanks.

Problem with missing environment variablefor scanner.pl started by slimserver.pl

* flipflip shaped the electrons to say...

>
    >Dan Sully;138511 Wrote:
    >> Is there an /etc/ld.so.conf on the Synology?

>
    >No, there isn't. I'll try what happens when I create one (after
    >dinner.. :-).

Ok.. you may need to run 'ldconfig -v' after that.

-D
    --
    Do not panic, do not panic! We are trained professionals!
    Now, stay calm. We are going around the leaf.

Okay, that worked perfectly.

Many thanks, Dan!

Actually I know about /etc/ld.so.conf and ldconfig. I investigated in the wrong direction..

At least I learned a bit about slimserver.. and Perl. Usually I code in c and matlab. It's definitively time to start using perl.. :-)

Regards,

flip

Hello flip,

i observed the same problem after a new intstallation of SS 6.5.0 on the DS106. I only symlinked the libexpat.so.1 into the /lib and the problem was gone. I don't know what is the better solution, but it seems to be easier.

mr_hyde
    2 x Squeezebox 3 - 1 x Squeezebox Touch - SSOTS 4.14 - Squeezecenter 7.7.3 - QNAP TS439 Pro (3.6.3) - 4 x 500 GB Hitachi (RAID5)

Yes, since /lib is in the default search path that works as well.

The new SSODS will modify /etc/ld.so.conf.

I have a new solution for this which I find very elegant:

You either compile (link) the programs using:

-Wl,-rpath,/mystuff/lib

(and aditionally also -Wl,-dynamic-linker,/mystuff/lib/ld-linux.so.2 if you have your own libc)

Or you modify the rpath (and interpreter if necessary) in the binary, using a hex editor (haxxorz), sed or something (elite haxxorz) or patchelf from http://nix.cs.uu.nl/patchelf.html (me).

flip

I have a new solution for this which I find very elegant:

You either compile (link) the programs using:

-Wl,-rpath,/mystuff/lib

(and aditionally also -Wl,-dynamic-linker,/mystuff/lib/ld-linux.so.2 if you have your own libc)

Or you modify the rpath (and interpreter if necessary) in the binary, using a hex editor (haxxorz), sed or something (elite haxxorz) or patchelf from http://nix.cs.uu.nl/patchelf.html (me).

flip