Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Stupid Linkstation Question

I feel awfully thick, but I have searched this forum and the Buffalo docs and the buffalo web site and I can't find it.

I could have sworn that linkstations could spin down their disk when it hadn't been used for a while.

But for the life of me I can't find out how.

I found a place where the whole linkstation could be powered down and back up at certain times of day, but that's not what I"m looking for.

Anyone able to help?

IIRC, the stock firmware does not have the feature you're looking for. After hacking a LinkStation, in theory it can be accomplished via hdparm or similar utility, provided the LS is sufficiently inactive (e.g., not serving up the current time to a "switched off" SB).

Does serving up the time cause disk activity?

So I was planning on buying 2 of these gigabit linkstations, since I can actually get them in Toronto, unlike some of the other options discussed in this forum. And at a half ways decent price. One for my office, to be used as a file server, and one for my home, to be used as at least a file server and perhaps a Slimserver.

I imagined I'd have to flash the home one, but wanted to keep the work one stock.

But even the work one has 2 days every week where no one touches the hard disk. So even the work one I need to flash?

I know this isn't really a slimserver question but it's kind of peripherally related. If I buy one for Slimserver use and learn how it works, etc, it's easier on my small number of remaining brain cells if I have the same one at work and not some totally different NAS with a totally different set of quirks and quarks.

The difficult part is getting a working telnet on the box. Once you have that, yes it's easy to modify one of the scripts with the hdparm in it. I find that the stock os accesses the disk too often on its own to make the spindown feature really useful! I wound up doing the exact opposite!, I modified the hdparm to keep the disk always spinning. I figure even with the disk spinning 24/7, I should be able to get a good 10 years of of the HDD, way longer than I'll want to use the linkstation for sure!

Daniel