Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question Can Synology transcode apple lossless to high bit rate mp3s in real time?

I am considering buying a Synology DS 106 as a music server.

Since my entire collection is in apple lossless (except my audible files) I was wondering if the Synology DS-106 had enough computing power to transcode the files to high bit rate mp3s on the fly to stream over the internet.

I regularly listen to my collection from my office and dont want to give up that option....

If not, is there any other option except a pc server?

Thank you in advance!

Amit

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyDragon
    I am considering buying a Synology DS 106 as a music server.

Since my entire collection is in apple lossless (except my audible files) I was wondering if the Synology DS-106 had enough computing power to transcode the files to high bit rate mp3s on the fly to stream over the internet.

I regularly listen to my collection from my office and dont want to give up that option....

If not, is there any other option except a pc server?

Thank you in advance!

Amit
    Hello,

on the fly conversion of flac to mp3 works on the DS106 (see also: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26020 ). Nevertheless i have no experience with the streaming performance through the web.
    2 x Squeezebox 3 - 1 x Squeezebox Touch - SSOTS 4.14 - Squeezecenter 7.7.3 - QNAP TS439 Pro (3.6.3) - 4 x 500 GB Hitachi (RAID5)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_hyde
    on the fly conversion of flac to mp3 works on the DS106 (see also: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26020 ). Nevertheless i have no experience with the streaming performance through the web.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer. The only additional concern I have is, in my case there are two simultaneous transcodings going on: From Apple Lossless to Flac (my collection is in Apple Lossless) and then, from Flac to high bit rate mp3. But I assume the unit has that much computing 'headroom'...?

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyDragon
    Thank you for taking the time to answer. The only additional concern I have is, in my case there are two simultaneous transcodings going on: From Apple Lossless to Flac (my collection is in Apple Lossless) and then, from Flac to high bit rate mp3. But I assume the unit has that much computing 'headroom'...?
    Hello,

i have no experience with Apple Lossless. I thought it is Flac. Is there a ppc bin to convert Apple lossless to flac and how can i create a Apple lossless file. I could test it. Nevertheless, it could be, that the computing power of the DS is not enough, because the trnascoding from flac to mp3 uses already about 40% CPU.

mr_hyde
    2 x Squeezebox 3 - 1 x Squeezebox Touch - SSOTS 4.14 - Squeezecenter 7.7.3 - QNAP TS439 Pro (3.6.3) - 4 x 500 GB Hitachi (RAID5)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_hyde
    Hello,

i have no experience with Apple Lossless. I thought it is Flac. Is there a ppc bin to convert Apple lossless to flac and how can i create a Apple lossless file. I could test it. Nevertheless, it could be, that the computing power of the DS is not enough, because the trnascoding from flac to mp3 uses already about 40% CPU.

mr_hyde
    Hi. Thank you for answering. I have been away so could not answer before this.

The simplest way to convert any wav file to lossless is to highlight it in iTunes and right click and then click 'convert to Apple Lossless'

The way I do it is:
    Rip cd using EAC with itunesencode doing the translation to lossless and tagging the file.

On slimserver/server/file types, I UNchecked the option of lossless begin converted to mp3 and made sure, Bit Rate Setting was set to 'no limit' in the Player/audio section.

This is a lot of work so I understand if you do not have the time to do it though. Seeing the problems people seem to be having with NAS setups (slow, not going mp3 encoding on the fly to stream etc) I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and settle for a silent pc.

TS-101 can handle 2x AAC transodes at a time without effecting the performance too much as long as nothing else is happening. As the Synology box has similar hardware in side then if you can get it working I am sure it too can handle 2x AAC transcodes at the same time also.

Thanks Paul!