Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: PDA remotes

PDA remotes

I'm sure this has probably been addressed before, but I didn't find any good threads in my limited search, so I'll put it out again. I'm thinking of getting a Transporter when they come out and I have seen a few people on other forums talking about the ability to make remotes out of PDAs that allow you visual access to your music library. I like the idea, but I have thus far intentionally remained ignorant of that device market so I don't know much about it. I did however browse through the set of plugins and saw some nice programs for setting these up.

So my question is, if I were to go that route, what would be the best device to buy to work as a remote for this? Something like the Dell Axim X51 520 looks like it would work but are there better options out there?

I haven't heard any rumours but any chance that Slim Devices is working on a remote like this of their own?

Tim

The best is probably the Nokia 770, but it's not really a PDA. Still, I think that it will give the best handheld Slimserver experience as it has a very cool custom skin designed specifically for it.

The Ultimate Remote Control that I have found for the SB/Transporter so far (and I'm not planning on buying one) has to be the Samsung Q1.

The Screen is about 7" and I believe it would run slimserver in its own right.

As Google Corp. would say these days (stroppy gits) "Do a google Internet Search". - Apparently they are getting annoyed that their brandname has become synonymous and no longer related to their product, much like Hoover/Vacuum Cleaner.

Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy_Git
    The Ultimate Remote Control that I have found for the SB/Transporter so far has to be the Samsung Q1.
    I think it's too expensive as a remote, not really feasible as a server: It would use the same web page as any other computer, and running slimserver on it would empty the batteries in a few hours. I'd _love_ one of them, but as a general purpose surf board and mail client - and never for the money they cost.

Though I've written a client optimized for usage on a PDA (SlimRemote) I guess there's still room for improvement in that area. A nice fat client (not web interface) with touch screen optimized GUI still has to be developped...
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

The Nokia looks nice but might be a bit on the pricey side. Might be a fun toy anyway though which could make it worth it. The Samsung is definitely too expensive for something without a keyboard.

Tim

But Tim it has a Touchscreen!

I knew it would never be a practical solution for anyone but it is a step up from the PDA option.

Nick.

The Nintendo ds lite with opera could also be a possibilty once it gets released outside japan!

You might want to try using any of the pocket PC based units. I'm using a Compaq 3630 with Telcanto for Slimserver.

It's touchscreen and gives you full access to the library/coverart etc.

Another bonus is that you can pick them up fairly cheap.

Just make sure you get a PDA with wireless!

Glen