Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Adding a DriveStation to a LinkStation

I'm running SlimServer on a LinkStation (160 GB) (thanks Marc Field!). Unfortunately, I've run out of space.

I'd like to simply add a large DriveStation (400 GB?; much cheaper than a new NAS) to the LinkStation and move all of my music files over there, leaving me plenty of room to add more music.

- Has anyone tried doing this?
    - Can you point SlimServer to a folder on the DriveStation?
    - Anything else I should take into consideration?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Sorry i don't have ansver to your question, but id like to know how linkstation has worked as slimserver? My squeezebox should be arriving today or tomorrow and i'm thinking about buying a linkstation.

I haven't tried it yet with my LinkStation, but my understanding is that yes, you can attach pretty much any external USB drive (including DriveStations) to a LinkStation to expand the storage. As I understand it the main catch is that because of the way the external USB drive has to be formatted, it will then only work when connected to the LS. That is, you can't connect it to the LS, then try to connect it directly to your computer's USB port. At least that's what it says in the LinkStation HD-HGLAN (aka gigabit) manual.

I think the external USB drive just shows up as a directory on the LS, so it should be no problem to point slimserver to it.

This is just my reading of the manual, I haven't tried it myself.

Re jmr's question, I've been very happy running slimserver on a LinkStation. Small size, low power consumption, and reasonable price were all big factors for me. It does take a while to rescan the library, and the web interface is a little sluggish, but those are minor inconveniences for me. In addition to the LinkStation, you might want to consider a KuroBox, or one of the NAS devices that has vendor support for slimserver (qnap, synology, infrant).

Yes, this is possible and I am doing exactly the same thing by adding a 250Mb DriveStation to my 250Mb LinkStation. I've got everything ready to go but I'vr not got round to doing it yet. Having said that, I have tested the principal with a 30Mb USB hard disk and it worked just fine. I was initially concerned the transfer rate might be compromised but there was no problems in playing flac files.

To set it up you need to:
    * connect the drive to the rear USB socket
    * use Buffalo's web interface to format the drive
    * create a link from your LinkStation's music directory to the DriveStation

As mentioned previously, you will not be able to use the DriveStation on another PC without reformatting it first.

Question

Dick--how do you "create a link from your LinkStation's music directory to the DriveStation"?

Aubuti and Dick--thanks for your guidance.

jmr--I sent you an expansive private message on my experience with the LinkStation. Figured it was better than clogging up the forum. Just FYI, in case you haven't checked messages.

That's a very good question but I can't quite remember EXACTLY how it's done. However, in principal the link you create acts like a shortcut does in Windows and simply points to another directory. Do a search in these forums for playing tracks from different directories and look at the following link for the Linux command:
    http://www.ss64.com/bash/ln.html

The way I've currently set up my LinkStation is that I have flac, mp3 and wma files arranged in separate directories. SlimServer is set to look at the top level of the flac directory...
    //mnt/hda/share/flac
    ...so within there I have created 2 links (or shortcuts) to the other 2 directories...
    ln /mnt/hda/share/mp3
    ln /mnt/hda/share/wma

To then do the same for a connected DriveStation you would create the following link...
    ln /mnt/hda/usb0/music_directory (or something like that).

Please bear in mind that these paths may be incorrect and, since I am currently at work, am not able to check it. I will try and look at this in more detail tonight and post out a correction.

In fact I should actually pull my finger out and set this up as my DriveStation has been sitting in it's box since March! Now that the "Disk Full" LED has come on the LinkStation I've no excuse.

Dick--I know I started this thread off with the idea of adding a drivestation, but why did you choose a drivestation instead of a cheaper external drive? I hope you set it up soon--my light just came on, and I'd love to hear a full report on your experience :-)

I also searched the forums and this was the simplest thread explaining how to set up links (great for total noobs like me):

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...light=symlinks

Why Buffalo? Well, the LinkStation has been totally reliable, so I thought it better to go with what I know. Also consistency in appearance played a bigger factor than I'm willing to admit.

The good news is that I'm doing a half day today AND I've put a note in Outlook to remind me to sort this out so watch this space...

OK here we go.

I'm writing this post as I go along and I have just powered up the DriveStation and connected it to the rear USB port of the LinkStation. The power mode selector switch is set to Auto.

From your PC connect to the LinkStation via the Buffalo web interface, go to Maintenance > Disk format and select USB Disk 1 from the drop-down box. Confirm the format - it took 8 mins for a 250Gb disk. Follow any on-screen instructions.

Go to USB Setup > USB Disk Setup and enable it as a shared folder.

Connect to the LinkStation using your preferred Telnet or SSH method. The DriveStation is at the following location:
    /mnt/usbdisk1

In my case my mp3 files are at /mnt/hda/share/mp3 so to move them from the LinkStation to the DiskStation I used the following command:
    mv /mnt/hda/share/mp3 /mnt/usbdisk1

Incidentally, it's a good deal quicker using Linux to do this; <20 mins to transfer 7.3Gb compared to an estimated 48 minutes using Windows.

My mp3 files are now at their new location /mnt/usbdisk1/mp3

Next thing to do is to ensure SlimServer can see this new location (you need to be logged in as root to do this bit). Change directory to what you have defined as your music folder (in my case it's /mnt/hda/share so I used cd /mnt/hda/share) and then create a link with the following command:
    ln -s /mnt/usbdisk1/mp3

That's it!

Pardon me for jumping in here, but I was curious Dick: what method did you use to open/hack your LS? When I used FreeLink to install Debian on my LS I hadn't considered that I'd likely lose the option to add a USB drive via Buffalo's proprietary format (because FreeLink blows away all of Buffalo's management screens and utilities). Oh well,if that's the case I suppose I could always reflash with OpenLink or the official firmware if I decided the pluses of doing so outweighed the minuses.

And in case I ever go that route, thanks for posting the how-to.