Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Longer display cable

So I am working on installing the SB2 in my car and I need a longer display ribbon cable. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Or have one put on?
    Thanks

Longer display cable

Sean has pointed us to part# HFF-20U-06-ND at DigiKey before. This one is 6 inches.

----- Original Message -----

From: blkwrx <blkwrx.2bkdyb1153937101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>

Date: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:00 pm

Subject: [SlimDevices: DIY] Longer display cable

>
    > So I am working on installing the SB2 in my car and I need a longer
    > display ribbon cable. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Or
    > have one
    > put on?
    > Thanks
    >
    >
    > --
    > blkwrx
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------
    > -----
    > blkwrx's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4664
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25846
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > diy mailing list
    > diy (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
    > http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/diy
    >

Thanks I just ordered one. I actually found it after about 30 min of searching old threads but thanks for posting

Out of curiousity, how are you handling the slimserver part, what hardware etc? I currently use the Phatnoise system and it leaves a few things to be desired.

A squeeze in the car would be awesome to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane
    Out of curiousity, how are you handling the slimserver part, what hardware etc? I currently use the Phatnoise system and it leaves a few things to be desired.

Good grief, I can just imagine you clicking away on the remote with one hand trying to navigate to a song while your other hand and half an eye attempts to navigate the car.

If I happen to be following you during this activity, please signal me so I can put at least ten car lengths between us.

;-)
    Jon Heal says:
    Have a nice day!
    http://www.theheals.org/
    ~~~
    SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | DELL OptiPlex PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-397 | PSB Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables | Dayton Audio Interconnects

I also have been using a Phatbox in my car for about 3 years. and Squeezeboxes in my house for that past 2 years or so.

I think exactly the opposite. I don't want a Sqeezebox in my car, I want the Phatnoise SSA Voice Index system in my Squeezebox. That would add the most useful music selection interface ever designed to the most useful network music system available.

To the Slim folks: Phatnoise is still in business, and apparently their business model is to license their technology to others who actually make things, instead making things themselves. The Phatnoise SSA Voice Index system added to your devices would be an awesome combination.

PRGeno

I installed a SB2 in the dash of my car a few months ago. The interface is not ideal, but I still think it's safer than sorting through CD's to find the right one while driving. I have a ten disc CD changer, but that is never enough on a long trip. My job requires me to travel and now I can jump in the car and always have my entire CD collection with me. I'm using a Linkstation mounted in the glove compartment as the server with a few timers to handle the shutdown when I turn off the key.

I bet your installation is really pretty cool. I think a Phatnoise system is more appropriate, but....

The beauty of the Phatnoise SSA is never having to look at anything to find just the right music. It talks you through the selection process with a very well thought out voice prompting system. Perfect for an in car interface to allow selection without taking your eyes off the road.

I know this thread is about your car Squeezbox, but imagine your having a party on your patio. Having a Phatnoise SSA style voice prompting system to select music from the Squeezbox in the family room, or equipment closet, with your RF wireless remote from the patio, without needing to see the box's front panel, or use a clumsy PDA interface, would be perfect.

It would be a thing of beauty, and quite impressive to your guests.

PRGeno

Quote Originally Posted by PRGeno
    I also have been using a Phatbox in my car for about 3 years. and Squeezeboxes in my house for that past 2 years or so.

I think exactly the opposite. I don't want a Sqeezebox in my car, I want the Phatnoise SSA Voice Index system in my Squeezebox. That would add the most useful music selection interface ever designed to the most useful network music system available.

To the Slim folks: Phatnoise is still in business, and apparently their business model is to license their technology to others who actually make things, instead making things themselves. The Phatnoise SSA Voice Index system added to your devices would be an awesome combination.

PRGeno
    What do you use to rip your files? I currently have problems taking files between the phatnoise and the squeezebox and having the tags work correctly.

What do you use to rip your files? I currently have problems taking files between the phatnoise and the squeezebox and having the tags work correctly.
    Properly tagged files work flawlessly between both systems. I use CDex to rip CDs, either from commercial CDs, or those I've created from iTunes, or Napster purchased downloads.

I use MediaMonkey and AudioShell to manage and re-tag (if required) all of my library. I have two sub-folders under my root music folder, one called "Phatbox", and the other called "Other" on my server.

The Phatbox folder contains all of my music which gets synced with my "Phatbox" folder via Phatnoise Media Manager, and the "Other" folder contains everything else. Each folder is structured with an artist/album sub-folder system.

The folder structure looks like this:

Music Library Folder
    ---> Other Folder
    -------> Artist 1 Folder
    ------------> Album 1 Folder
    ------------> Album 2 Folder
    ---> Phatbox Folder
    -------> Artist 1 Folder
    ------------> Album 2 Folder
    -------> Artist x Folder
    ------------> Album x Folder

Then then SlimServer and Media Monkey catalog all files from the "Music Library" folder level, which contains all music from both the "Other" and "Phatbox" folders.

When I move things between the "Other" and "Phatbox" folders, to move things to, or off, the Phatbox, I simply need to rescan the main folder in both SlimServer, and MediaMonkey to re-sync their respective databases.

I don't do anything else special to manage tags or files/folders. Properly tagged, the Phatnoise Media Manager/Phatbox, SlimServer, and MediaMonkey all simply work.

It is a wonderful combination and manages my 10,000+ song library very well, and it appears it could easily handle 10x that number.

Now if the SlimServer and Squeezeboxes added the Phatnoise SSA navigation system, whoa, I would be in digital audio heaven.

Oh yea, one more thing, and make an affordable version of the Transporter form factor available too. Then I would really be in heaven.

PRGeno