Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    252

    Stereophile's visit to Sonos

    Interesting read with photos:

    http://www.stereophile.com/news/062606sonos/

  2. #2

    Re: Stereophile's visit to Sonos

    What part turned you off? Do you think there is a difference?

    On 7/7/06, Mark Lanctot <
    Mark.Lanctot.2al7ab1152295501 (AT) n...limdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > Wow, the first line jumped right out at me:
    >
    > > "I don't get why some audiophiles still think that saving data using a
    > > lossless compression scheme like FLAC or Apple Lossless sounds any
    > > different than an uncompressed CD file," says Sonos founder and VP of
    > > Sales and Marketing Thomas S. Cullen between bites of white fish shish
    > > kebab. "It's just mathematics, and the results are sonically identical,
    > > but you save half the space on your hard drive."

    >
    > Sure speaks volumes about their approach and why they turned me off
    > from the get-go.
    >
    >



  3. #3
    Senior Member dwc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    353
    50% compression ratio? I don't think so. Closer to 30%.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,099

    Re: Stereophile's visit to Sonos

    Please ignore my off-the-cuff post. I deleted it
    from the forum but once it's out on the mailing
    list it's too late.

    I thought no one would comment on it but I guess I
    was wrong.

    Anyway, I thought they were referring to the
    difference between lossy, compressed formats like
    MP3 and lossless compressed formats like FLAC. I
    was going to rip them a new one if that's indeed
    what they said. It wasn't.

    It was in keeping with what I find about the
    company though - a "we know what's best for you"
    attitude.

    Jim Dibb wrote:
    > What part turned you off? Do you think there is a

    difference?
    >
    > On 7/7/06, *Mark Lanctot* <
    >

    Mark.Lanctot.2al7ab1152295501 (AT) n...limdevices.com

    >

    <mailto:Mark.Lanctot.2al7ab1152295501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>>
    wrote:
    >
    >
    > Wow, the first line jumped right out at me:
    >
    > > "I don't get why some audiophiles still

    think that saving data
    > using a
    > > lossless compression scheme like FLAC or

    Apple Lossless sounds any
    > > different than an uncompressed CD file," says

    Sonos founder and
    > VP of
    > > Sales and Marketing Thomas S. Cullen between

    bites of white fish
    > shish
    > > kebab. "It's just mathematics, and the

    results are sonically
    > identical,
    > > but you save half the space on your hard

    drive."
    >
    > Sure speaks volumes about their approach and why

    they turned me off
    > from the get-go.
    >
    >
    >
    >

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    >

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    117

    The thing that struck me . .

    was the fact that Sonos seem to operate a quiet work environment. Here at Slim, there's usually music or radio of some sort going somewhere in the office at any point in time. It certainly reminds me of why we do what we do every day.

  6. #6
    Senior Member CardinalFang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by mbonsack
    Interesting read with photos:
    http://www.stereophile.com/news/062606sonos/
    I have to give it to them - the remote is the killer. Without it, they're an also-ran, with it, they have the coolest looking product. If Slim came out with something like that, I'd put them throughout my house. Without it, the rest of my family just find it too geeky and it's just me in one room.

    It's the same as the iPod, other devices have more features, better sound etc., but the iPod just looks and feels the best. It's the same with cars - Mercs and BMWs have so much perceived quality that the fact that Jaguars beat them everytime on actual build quality and reliability is neither here nor there when it comes to sales. The SB3 is now a fine looking and sounding player, but the software and remote need to come up to scratch. IMHO of course :-)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by CardinalFang
    I have to give it to them - the remote is the killer. Without it, they're an also-ran, with it, they have the coolest looking product. If Slim came out with something like that, I'd put them throughout my house. Without it, the rest of my family just find it too geeky and it's just me in one room.

    It's the same as the iPod, other devices have more features, better sound etc., but the iPod just looks and feels the best. It's the same with cars - Mercs and BMWs have so much perceived quality that the fact that Jaguars beat them everytime on actual build quality and reliability is neither here nor there when it comes to sales. The SB3 is now a fine looking and sounding player, but the software and remote need to come up to scratch. IMHO of course :-)
    Haha, so I was with you 'til the bit about the Jags...

  8. #8
    Senior Member CardinalFang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by azinck3
    Haha, so I was with you 'til the bit about the Jags...
    Thats's what I always believed, but look at the Top Gear surveys, they're at the top and the German brands are way down - Jaguar have reversed their bad reputation. I have a Merc and I followed a new XK today, I'd swap in a nanosecond...for a DB9! Hey, they may be tops in reliability, but they're still a poor-man's Aston :-)

    Seriously though, if Slim would switch to Flash for the server interface, we could all be using PSPs and other devices for a really cool experience that cost less than a Sonus remote.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Skunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kurt Vonnegut's Neighborhood
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereophile
    Sonos reminds us that the Sonos warranty is void if you open up any of the Sonos hardware.
    The fact that the Slim Dev CEO regularly contributes to modification discussions gives them the edge in audiophile credibility- IMHO.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Michaelwagner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by CardinalFang
    if Slim would switch to Flash for the server interface
    Oh, please, not flash. I thought the web interface was bad enough, but flash on top of it? gag me with a spoon!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •