Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What happened to the July Stereophile print reveiw of SB3?

The title says it all. I am pretty sure that JA said that a full review would appear in the July issue. While I have not read the entire edition yet, a detailed scan of the contents does not indicate that the review is there.

Perhaps JA can respond if he is still hanging around here?

David

I read somewhere that JA mentioned the Stereophile print review had to be pushed back to the upcoming Aug issue.
    Main system: Touch > Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB > Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Summits. Audience AU24e cables. Secondary systems: SB3 in Master BR (Russound R235LS amp driving in-ceiling speaker) and Game Room (powered Swan S200A speakers), with Boom in Home Office. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society

Bummer, just got my Aug Stereophile and NO Squeezebox review... I smell a conspiracy!
    Main system: Touch > Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB > Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Summits. Audience AU24e cables. Secondary systems: SB3 in Master BR (Russound R235LS amp driving in-ceiling speaker) and Game Room (powered Swan S200A speakers), with Boom in Home Office. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society

I smell a Sonos kickback

Gee's yep, Slim Devices mustn't have wanted to pay for any advertising. Don't you just love Stereophile. You know they are so unbiased and filled with journalistic integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by dlite
    Gee's yep, Slim Devices mustn't have wanted to pay for any advertising. Don't you just love Stereophile. You know they are so unbiased and filled with journalistic integrity.
    You may want to try out the British "Hi-Fi World" instead!
    Better IMHO. Also, not so fixated with ultra-expensive stuff.

Their website is a bit amateurish, but here is the URL anyway:
    http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk

mauidan
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf
    Bummer, just got my Aug Stereophile and NO Squeezebox review... I smell a conspiracy!
    sleepysurf- No conspiracy. Your question was answered on the Stereophile forum on 7/13/06:

"You can read about John's experience with the Squeezebox here:
    http://www.stereophile.com/images/ne.../306Bstph.html

And a thorough "Follow-Up" report will be published in our September issue. (I promise.)

Stephen Mejias
    Stereophile"

Suggest people have some real proof before making claims of a conspiracy, kickbacks, or lack of journalistic integrity on a public forum.

I'm surprised SD allowed these comments to be posted.

A place where something is or could be located; a site.
    Quote Originally Posted by mauidan
    Suggest people have some real proof before making claims of a conspiracy, kickbacks, or lack of journalistic integrity on a public forum.
    There is something called humor... oh, nevermind.

Stereophile is a publication whose income is primarily based on advertisements for the products it reviews. Anyone that believes such a publication is objective has the burden of proof on them, not the other way around.

I'm surprised SD allowed these comments to be posted.
    Why?

mauidan
    "Stereophile is a publication whose income is primarily based on advertisements for the products it reviews. Anyone that believes such a publication is objective has the burden of proof on them, not the other way around."

I don't purchase products based on rave reviews, and I don't read the reviews in Stereophile thinking the reviewer got paid off or that a rave review was in exchange for advertising revenue.

If the SB gets a positive Stereophile review in the September issue, should I assume
    SD paid them off?

I look forward to JA's follow-up on the SB, especially his measurements.

Founder, Slim Devices seanadams's Avatar
    if you mostly read your news on Teh Interweb, you may be surprised how long the print cycle takes between deciding to review something and actually getting it to the shelves. Sometime three months - and if they're doing extensive audio tests, even longer wouldn't surprise me. I think it's a bit premature to cry foul just yet.