Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SB2 and TinyXP

Quote Originally Posted by blkwrx
    Crossover cable fixed that problem but I have run into another one... When I install SlimServer on the TinyXP OS I get an error saying "Problem starting SlimServer service: The system cannot find the file specified" After I click ok, finish the install and try to start SLimServer manually it just continually says "SlimServer Starting".

I don't know what file its looking for but it could be that a service that SlimServer needs to run has been removed from TinyXP. Does anyone know what XP services are required by the software? I know its a Perl program and I had to install ActivePerl to get the install to start.

Does SlimServer require IIS?
    No, SlimServer has its own web server. If you've downloaded and are running the Windows EXE, then you don't need ActiveState Perl. That's only necessary when running the pure Perl version of the server on Windows.

Are you trying to run the SlimServer service (which the Windows installer will create) or are you running SlimServer from the command line. If you run SlimServer from the command line, then you'll often see some useful information if it can't start. Also, you can turn on logging with a command line switch.

slimserver.exe --logfile C:\mylogfile.txt --d_info

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx
    No, SlimServer has its own web server. If you've downloaded and are running the Windows EXE, then you don't need ActiveState Perl. That's only necessary when running the pure Perl version of the server on Windows.

Are you trying to run the SlimServer service (which the Windows installer will create) or are you running SlimServer from the command line. If you run SlimServer from the command line, then you'll often see some useful information if it can't start. Also, you can turn on logging with a command line switch.

slimserver.exe --logfile C:\mylogfile.txt --d_info
    Yes, it was the windows exe but when I first tried to install it it gave me a perl error. So I downloaded ActivePerl and that went away but I get this other error (they may be related, I don't know).

I am trying to run the SlimServer service but when this is all setup the computer won't even be hooked up to a monitor. Maybe I should use the command line instead. Can you explain the difference?

Thanks again

What directory is the slimserver.exe in. I don't seem to have one (might explain the problem though). I just found out that TinyXP uses UK Location, Keyboard, Etc. I am going to change it to the US and try again.

Well, that didn't fix it. But your right I uninstalled ActivePerl and it didn't get any Perl errors.

I've been clicking on the desktop shortcut which runs SlimTray.exe --Start

Still can't find the slimserver.exe

Quote Originally Posted by blkwrx
    Well, that didn't fix it. But your right I uninstalled ActivePerl and it didn't get any Perl errors.

I've been clicking on the desktop shortcut which runs SlimTray.exe --Start

Still can't find the slimserver.exe
    I run the Perl version on XP, so I'm not positive that's what the Windows EXE name is. Maybe slim.exe?

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx
    I run the Perl version on XP, so I'm not positive that's what the Windows EXE name is. Maybe slim.exe?
    Slim.exe was there. I tried it but nothing seemed to happen. Do I have to manually create the log file? Maybe I'll just try the Perl version with ActivePerl.

Thanks

Ok, so I apparently don't know enough about Perl to install it...
    And I can't seem to get the log file to work.

Slim.exe is a "compiled" version of all the slimserver Perl files. This means changing the source Perl files on Windows will have no effect.

To run slim.exe by itself you have to do it from a command prompt - it will not work from the "run" box off the start button.

Follow the instruction for Windows below to run slim.exe from a command prompt. Try the d_server log option for your problem.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?LogFile

Quote Originally Posted by bpa
    Slim.exe is a "compiled" version of all the slimserver Perl files. This means changing the source Perl files on Windows will have no effect.

To run slim.exe by itself you have to do it from a command prompt - it will not work from the "run" box off the start button.

Follow the instruction for Windows below to run slim.exe from a command prompt. Try the d_server log option for your problem.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?LogFile
    I did run it from the command prompt. I'll follow the wiki directions tomorrow. Maybe I got some of the syntax wrong. Thanks for the link.

Well I have no clue what the problem was but I reinstalled the OS, installed SlimServer, got the same error message but now it works even though I got the error during the install...

So for now I guess my problem is solved

Its scanning my music library now. Its 120gb full hd so it may take a while. I'm going to play arround with it a bit before I pull it apart to install in the car.

Thanks for all the help