X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasonW
    • Oct 2005

Squeezebox 2 spares

Hi everyone,

I posted on the forum a few days ago regarding my squeezebox stopping working (Begineers forum). But over the weekend I found that this seemed to be a fault with the cable going from the motherboard to the screen pcb. So after reading around I attempted to remove the connector and solder my own connecton using a spare IDE ribbon cable. After a few hours I found this task to be almost impossible due to the size of the pcb connector points. So I was wondering if :-

A) Anyone would like to buy my SB of me for spares, I am pretty sure the main motherboard is ok.

B) Someone is very kind enough to suggest how else I repair the connection .

C) Offer to repair the connection for me where I would pay a decent price to get my fantastic SB into life again.

D) Someone can tell me where i can buy a new screen pcb with connector.

Jason

PS: Squeezebox version 2 is silver and wireless.
  • seanadams
    Founder, Slim Devices
    • Apr 2005

You should probably post a pic so we can tell if it's salvageable - have you soldered on it already?

Also, with a voltmeter we can narrow diwn the cause of the problem.

Comment

• JasonW
      • Oct 2005

Hi,

Thanks for the very quick reply. I did take a picture of the display PCB but my camara phone didnt have a good enough resolution.
      Basically i have completely removed the ribbon cable connector on the display pcb to expose the raw solder points but thay are very close together. The main board i have done nothing too so should still work. I will try get some hires pictures as soon as possible once i get hold of a camara :S

Jason

Comment

• Karl

Re: Squeezebox 2 spares

If you have not damaged the print and think the socket can be re fitted I
        have no problem doing it for you FOC if you cover postage both ways - I see
        you are UK based

-----Original Message-----
        [mailto:diy-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of JasonW
        Sent: 16 May 2006 14:43
        To: diy (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
        Subject: [SlimDevices: DIY] Re: Squeezebox 2 spares

Hi,

Thanks for the very quick reply. I did take a picture of the display
        PCB but my camara phone didnt have a good enough resolution.
        Basically i have completely removed the ribbon cable connector on the
        display pcb to expose the raw solder points but thay are very close
        together. The main board i have done nothing too so should still work.
        I will try get some hires pictures as soon as possible once i get hold
        of a camara :S

Jason

--
        JasonW
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        JasonW's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2100
        View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23915

Comment

• JasonW
          • Oct 2005

Well that is a great offer karl unfortunately the ribbon connector was damaged when i tried to remove it so i dont think it could be put back on . I am based in the UK and not rich enough yet to afford more then 1 squeezebox yet .

Jason

Comment

• Karl

Re: Squeezebox 2 spares

Can you find one on www.rswww.com that the same ?

-----Original Message-----
            [mailto:diy-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of JasonW
            Sent: 17 May 2006 09:13
            To: diy (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
            Subject: [SlimDevices: DIY] Re: Squeezebox 2 spares

Well that is a great offer karl unfortunately the ribbon connector
            was damaged when i tried to remove it so i dont think it could be put
            back on . I am based in the UK and not rich enough yet to afford more
            then 1 squeezebox yet .

Jason

--
            JasonW
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
            JasonW's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2100
            View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23915

Comment

• JasonW
              • Oct 2005

Sorry I havent replied to this message for a while but I have only just got back from holiday.

I have had a look at the RS online plus other componant catalogues but cant find anything that I confidently think is the correct connector

I guess the only thing that would definitely fix my SB 2 would be a new screen PCB with/without the 20 way connector.

So if anyone is reading this post that has got a screen that would work for a SB2 I will gladly pay a fair price for it.

Jason

Comment

• aubuti
                • Oct 2005

I don't know any of the details, but someone is selling a broken SB2 on eBay. Last time I looked the high bid was $1.

Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
                Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
                Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
                Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
                Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
                Bedroom: SB Radio
                Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
                LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

Working...