Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SlimServer on a Synology Diskstation 101j How To

Philippe Kehl has announced a How-To for running SlimServer on a Synology
    Diskstation 101j in the German forum:

http://oinkzwurgl.org/software/slimserver/

The documentation is in English - might be interesting to users of that
    NAS solution.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Help translate SlimServer by using the
    StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

SSODS: SlimServer On DiskStation -- The easy way ;-)

Hello

I finally managed to (mis-)use the firmware upgrade feature on the Synology DiskStation 101j to easily install slimserver on that NAS (the 101g+ and 106e versions won't work).

Go to http://oinkzwurgl.org/software/ssods/ to get the patch and further details. And be sure to check the trailer (animated GIF)!

Answers:

Yes, you do not need telnet access.

Yes, this package will allow you to enable telnet access.

Yes, you can import your preferences and database from the previous ssods version.

Happy Hacking!

Regards,

Philippe

Great article. I can imagine quite a few people will want to 'mod' devices like this to run SlimServer rather than having to run a full blown PC 24/7/52.

When I looked around for an alternative to my PC based Mandriva SlimServer I did look at the Synology 101J NAS as a possible option, but as I couldn't find any info. on anyone porting SS to it (and therefore didn't know whether it would even be possible to do it) I moved onto other devices.

In the end I purchased (three weeks ago) a KuroBoxHG, installed my own HD, and proceeded to install Gentoo and SlimServer on it. It's now been running 10 days, AlienBBC & LastFM installed without issue, and it's been servicing 2 Squeezeboxen and 1 Softsqueeze player without fail, even when playing flac music whilst downloading same onto it from the original Mandriva box. I'm well impressed with it... If anyone is interested I'll do a wiki entry for those wanting to use the KuroBoxHG as a SS.

Maybe a wiki entry for Philippe's work would be good also?

Robbie

For those in the UK Scan computers have the 101j on Today only this weekend for ú115 inc vat.....

300Gb Maxstor is ú65.

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/

Seems like a good deal.

Jim

B*gger. Missed it.

Well, it came back on at Scan over the weekend so I bought one. It arrived this morning. Installed 250GB Samsung SP2514 and screwed the case back up.

Followed the instruction in this thread and have Slimserver up and running on my DS-101j beautifully easily and it took less than 30 minutes from opening the DS-101j box. Didn't touch the sides.

Brilliant, thanks. Saved a lot of cash by not having to buy one of those pre-installed QNAP/Slimserver combos.

Hello

Nice to hear that.

What firmware do you have? I suggest that you do not upgrade it, since that will make SSODS unusable (and not installable a second time). Wait for the new version (coming very soon) which will include instructions on how to upgrade the fw when SSODS is already installed.

Regards,
    flipflip

I'm using what came on the box: 2.0.1 - 3.0281 I wasn't tempted to update it.

Thanks very much for the warning though.

Okay then. That's already the most recent fw release for the j. Mine had release 240 on the CD and I had to download the 281 patch.

I think scan.co.uk turn their stock very quickly, which is why their prices are so good. I got an extra fiver off mine becuase they said the box was a bit bashed. A bit bashed? It looked like it had been run over by a tank. The DS worked fine, though.

I'm unraring some archives to it at work tomorrow and then I'll bring it home.
    Last edited by rhubarbe; 2006-06-05 at 14:59.