Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have a Creative wireless which is hopeless and I was therefore going to buy a squeezebox. The Creative has the same album/artist problem. But why don't they just add the ability to the squeezebox to search by either artist or album artist (as well as genre etc...)? Surely this would be a very simple tweak and would fix the problem without having to mess with 3rd party ID tag tweakers?

Quote Originally Posted by mattybain
    Frankly until someone from SD comes back and clarifies exactly how it is supposed to work and the bugs for WMA files are resolved I don't see any point in creating the wiki entry.
    I submit that we know quite a lot about the behavior, and that having this information in a wiki would save people a lot of time and angst; when I was trying to debug this for myself, I spent hours wading through way too many forum entries trying to piece together how to make "various artists" work ... and eventually stumbled on a post that mentioned the WMA bug.

What do we know:
    1. How we think it is "supposed" to work, as described earlier in this thread.
    2. The code is buggy, so it may not work as you expect it to.
    3. If your files are WMA, it will definitely not work as you expect it to.
    4. The first step is to set "Group compilation albums together" and "List albums by band" ... and pray.
    5. If that doesn't work, use T&R to set the "Compilation" tag, or create an arbitrary tag if you are using another tagging tool.
    6. Once you've done this, you need to rescan, but rescanning for "new and changed" music does not always work so it is better to "clear library and rescan everything" and best to just stop slimserver, delete the cache, and restart.
    7. Some non-compilation albums still have multiple artists and may cause you some grief (which was the original question posed in this thread).

I think the above (with more details added) all belongs in the wiki, which can be modified in the future if things ever get better.

OK, so maybe I do know enough to write (or at least start) a wiki entry on the subject after all ...

Yes on reflection I agree that would probably save a lot of angst for new users.

My frustration comes from having asked many times how it is supposed to work and not getting any answers.

I will upload these points onto the wiki.

Re: "Album Artist" versus "Artist" behavior

>My frustration comes from having asked many times how it is supposed to
    >work and not getting any answers.
    >

Me too!

Things still unclear to me are:

1. What do I enter as the tag Name/Value for "Compilation"? I use mp3Tag, which allows me to add custom tag entries, so I'm guessing I need "COMPILATION" as the tag name, but what goes in the value?

2. If I have an album that isn't a Various Artists album (such as an album that has one song by a guest artist), how can I tell SlimServer to regard the album as not a compilation? Perhaps COMPILATION=NO/0/False for each track? Setting AlbumArtist for each track doesn't seem to work.

3. What is the best way of handling the case when there are two albums with the same title.

Eg. I have three albums called "Remixed", each of which is a various artist album in its own right, but SlimServer shows the union of all tracks on these albums as a single album. I think a solution for (2) above might fix this also for me, as ideally I'd like to set AlbumArtist for the albums (eg. one album is Sarah McLachlan "Remixed", which features artists covering Sarah McLachlan tracks, so having AlbumArtist="Sarah McLachlan" to make the album appear listed under Sarah McLaclan would be a nice solution for me).

I know there is the "Common Album Titles" preference, but I actually have quite a few duplicate album titles, and it doesn't seem a nice solution to the problem (it should be derivable from tags, otherwise things like Random Album mix may not work correctly either?).

For now, I have made the album names unique, but putting the artist name after the album name, such as "Remixed [Sarah McLachlan]". Occasionally, I scan through my various artists list checking for albums that shouldn't be there, and "fixing" them in this way - it's hard to get it right first time, as I don't want the artist name in every album name, only when there is a clash.

I think SlimServer may be able to work out clashes based on duplicate [disc+]track numbers for the same album title at scan time (enhancement request).

4. What differences, if any, are necessary to get these problems working for different tag formats, eg. mp3, FLAC, WMA, etc. mp3Tag supports all of these different formats in a single user interface; but perhaps "COMPILATION" should be called something else when used in ogg vorbis tags, etc.

5. What can be done to achieve the same effects for albums defined by cue sheets. This seems totally broken for me (or perhaps it was never implemented). I would expect to be able to define any tag name=value pair in the cue sheet data, but Slimserver only seems to read specific things it is looking for, such as TITLE and PERFORMER. eg. ARTISTSORT doesn't seem to work.

Not directly related to compilation album support, but worth mentioning anyway:

6. I believe mp3 tags define a tag called ORIGARTIST, which I have entered for a bunch of compilation albums featuring cover versions of tracks. It would be nice if SlimServer could detect these and list them like it does with Band/Composer/Conductor tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer
    >My frustration comes from having asked many times how it is supposed to
    >work and not getting any answers.
    >

Me too!

Things still unclear to me are:

1. What do I enter as the tag Name/Value for "Compilation"? I use mp3Tag, which allows me to add custom tag entries, so I'm guessing I need "COMPILATION" as the tag name, but what goes in the value?
    0 and 1

0 = False, not a compilation
    1 = True, a compilation

Setting COMPILATION=0 should explicitly turn tell SlimServer that an album is not a compilation.

Try also turning off the server preference for automatically detecting compilations. Doing this in combination with using explicit COMPILATION tags may be what you need to keep from having to use the silly "common album titles" thing.

In mp3tag I loaded up my whole library of 8000+ tracks and set COMPILATION=0 on every track. Then I loaded up all of my compilation albums (a relatively small number) and set COMPILATION=1 on those. I also set all of the ALBUMARTIST tags to "Various Artists" on the compilations. They end up getting grouped under "Various Artists", but without looking in the SlimServer database I couldn't honestly tell you if it's because they're marked as compilations or not.

I can't seem to get COMPILATION=0 to be recognized by the server. Everything with more than one artist on an album (such as an album with one duet on it) is still displayed as a compilation even with that tag set.

(I know you might not like it but) I use iTunes to manage my music library. All my compilations (and some albums that are not compilations but list the songwriter as Artist) are marked as compilations in iTunes tags..

I have slimserver setup to use the iTunes plugin and set the options to group compilations, and to show albumns by band rather than artist.. worked a treat.. showed all compilations under Various Artists just as it does in iTunes.

The next morning I turned on my Squeezebox and all the artists from my compilation albums were back in my browse by artist lists.. and Various Artists disappeared.. No matter what settings I use now.. I cant get it to group them again. (I have the Rescan Music Library plugin set to rescan at 02:00 every morning)

Very Odd that I managed to get it to work and then it just stopped.. I wish I could remember what I changed..

Tried clearing and rescanning.. tried stopping slimserver and restarting, then clearing and scanning..

will keep fiddling and report back.. something will work eventually.

well.. I fiddled with my server settings a lot.. couldn't get it to work..
    so I uninstalled slimserver.. reinstalled..
    and now it works again.. compilations are again appearing under Various Artists.

Scratches head..

Re: "Album Artist" versus "Artist" behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer
    >1. What do I enter as the tag Name/Value for "Compilation"? I use mp3Tag, which allows me to add custom tag entries, so I'm guessing I need "COMPILATION" as the tag name, but what goes in the value?
    As far as I know, it's COMPILATION for Vorbis comments and TXXX (named ITUNESCOMPILATION with a value of "1") for MP3 ID3v2 tags (rather than a TXXX tag named COMPILATION).

For MP3Tag, see:
    http://www.mp3tag.de/en/help/main_tags.html
    http://www.anytag.de/forums/index.ph...52&#entry13252

I've given up on this being properly fixed (or at least got tired of waiting) and opted instead to just put the individual artist names in the track field for Various Artist albums. So the track field contains "<track_num> <Artist> - <Title>". Both the Artist and Album Artist field contain "Various Artists". It was a pain to set up but now my Squeezebox, mp3 player, Moose, etc. all properly display Various Artist albums.