Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Album Artist" versus "Artist" behavior

I have a number of albums where the "Album Artist" is different from the "Artist". For example, Prince's Graffiti Bridge has a couple of songs where the Artist is "The Time", while the "Album Artist" is Prince. I would like for Slimserver to not show these artists when browsing by artist; I'd rather just have it list them all under Prince. Is this possible (other than by changing the Artist name from "The Time" to "Prince")?

Also: I have some albums where multiple artists are listed in the "Artist" field, with a single "Album Artist". Typically the first artist listed in the "Artist" field is the actual artist for the album, and the additional artists listed (seperated by a delimiter) are people who are singing with the primary artist. Is there any way to have SlimServer use only the first artist on the list (or default to the Album Artist)?

My files are in WMA lossless format, in case that makes a difference (I think I remember reading that there is a bug in SlimServer when dealing with the "Album Artist" tag for WMA files)?
    Last edited by Jon; 2006-03-09 at 21:43.

"Album Artist" versus "Artist" behavior

>I would like for Slimserver to not show these artists when browsing by artist

Me too. I have the same issue. I have a large collection of mp3, FLAC and the occasional WMA tracks. I use mp3tag to tag all of my music, and have used ALBUMARTIST consistently across all of these formats (rather than BAND, etc).

Normal "Various Artist" compilation albums (albums that SlimServer automatically decides are compilations as there are different artists on the same album) work as expected - the album is listed under "Various Artists" and the individual song artists do not appear in the browse artists list (unless you also have other albums by that artist that are not compilation albums).

But as soon as an "ALBUMARTIST" tag is added to make a compilation album be listed under a specific artist instead, it then always lists the individual artists in "browse artists".

It would be nice to get this fixed.

Phil

I just spent all afternoon editing tag information. Much to my disappointment SS does not appear to deal with Album Artist correctly. Even if I make the Album Artist "Various Artists" it still lists all of the Artists that make up those albums when I Browse Artists. I am using SS 6.2.1 right now. I even went to Server Settings -> Behavior -> Compilations and set the first option to "Group compilation albums together" and the second field to "List albums by band".

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffis
    I just spent all afternoon editing tag information. Much to my disappointment SS does not appear to deal with Album Artist correctly. Even if I make the Album Artist "Various Artists" it still lists all of the Artists that make up those albums when I Browse Artists. I am using SS 6.2.1 right now. I even went to Server Settings -> Behavior -> Compilations and set the first option to "Group compilation albums together" and the second field to "List albums by band".

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
    "Group compilation albums together" and "List albums by band" are the right first steps, but selecting those settings is not enough.

There is a "part of a compilation" tag (I don't know what that tag is actually called) that needs to be set. I use Tag&Rename for editing tags; within T&R at least, the "tag editor" screen has a checkbox marked "Part of a compilation" which needs to be checked.

Also, if your files are in WMA format, there is a bug in slimserver where the "Album Artist" tag actually needs to be blank for things to work properly (I believe that this problem is unique to WMA?). If you use T&R to blank it out, make sure you go to "Options" - "Tags" and uncheck the "Auto copy Artist data into Album Artist tag field if clear", otherwise you'll clear them and they'll come right back (I've done this to myself more than once).

BTW ... with Tag&Rename, you can make this change for all your compilations at once using the "Multi File Tag Editor" function (though be prepared for a long wait while it writes all the new tags). I assume that other tag editors have a similar function ... not trying to sell T&R here, it's just the only tag editor I have experience with ...

add me to the list of users who miss proper Album Artist functionality

as an option alongside the other Browse/Search criteria, it is greatly missed.

Does anyone have any more information regarding the "compilation" tag that Jon mentioned? I have been using Media Monkey to do all of my tag editing and don't see any field that resembles "compilation". I also tried the tag editor within WMP and didn't see a compilation field there either. I really like using Media Monkey so I hate to shell out $25 for Tag&Rename to get this one stinking checkbox! If anyone knows anything else about this I'd greatly appreciate the info.

There are many threads on this topic, search for "compilation tag*" for a selection. A recent one was http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20595

The way it is supposed to work is that if you have "Group Compilation Albums Together" selected, slimserver when scanning will try to spot a compilation album (by the fact that the tracks are apparently by more than one artist).

For some people (including me) this works fine. However there is also a mechanism whereby the presence of a COMPILATION tag can be used to force the compilation behaviour: you don't need to spend $25 to do this, just use any tagger that allows you to add an arbitrary tag (I know mp3tag can do this, I would guess that tag&rename might).

HTH

Ceejay

This topic comes up a lot ... seems like a wiki entry is in order. I'd attempt to create one myself, but I don't really understand all the ins and outs of compilation behavior and the compilation tag.

There is even an (empty) placeholder for one, at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServer under "VariousArtistsLogic".

Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    This topic comes up a lot ... seems like a wiki entry is in order. I'd attempt to create one myself, but I don't really understand all the ins and outs of compilation behavior and the compilation tag.

There is even an (empty) placeholder for one, at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServer under "VariousArtistsLogic".

Any takers?
    If anyone ever figures it out, please report back. I don't think it's doable. The logic just doesn't work out, and it changes with each release.

I think I volunteered to do that wiki entry. The problem was as you say (and was discussed in that link to that other discussion) there is no consistent logic and also a number of bugs in the implementation.

Frankly until someone from SD comes back and clarifies exactly how it is supposed to work and the bugs for WMA files are resolved I don't see any point in creating the wiki entry.

I suspect the lack of action is due to the apathy amongst SS users.
    What I suggest you all do is vote for the relevant bugs and hopefully with enough weight behind them they will be resolved.