Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    All the Patricia Barber discs are phenomenal, too. She's a "cool" club singer with a very relaxed pacing which allows a lot of space for the instruments and even the sound of the room to come through. Great acoustic bass tones and textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon
    Tears For Fears / The Seeds Of Love
    and as a follow on to that you should definately try Oleta Adams / Circle of One (She was the female singer on Woman in Chains - The album is also produced by Roland Orzabal). Its a superb recording of an amazing singer.

Completely different but you can also try Vogue by Madonna - sounds sumptuous on the Squeezebox.

Instrumental

Ramon Stagnaro, Joe Rotondy and Aaron Serfaty - "Bossa Nova - Music of Love"

Quality recording of some of the best latin jazz standards.

If you like keyboard, horns, strings with percussion that jumps out , this is a must.

Phenomenal!
    Last edited by deepblu; 2006-03-11 at 05:22.

Ain't Talkin' 'bout Dub from Electro Glide in Blue by Apollo 440
    Some people think the title of this song is irrelevant,
    but it's not irrelevant - it's a hippopotamus.

Darn, pressed Submit too soon!

Breathe from The Fat Of The Land by The Prodigy

Most of Moon Safari by Air, particularly La Femme D'Argent and All I Need.

Loads of other things! I used to have a playlist called Showing Off but it got eaten during the switchover to storing playlists in the db (admittedly, it may have been me that ate it!).

Max

Quote Originally Posted by max.spicer
    Ain't Talkin' 'bout Dub from Electro Glide in Blue by Apollo 440
    Some people think the title of this song is irrelevant,
    but it's not irrelevant - it's a hippopotamus.

Quote Originally Posted by max.spicer
    Darn, pressed Submit too soon!
    Me too.

I forgot to say Monty Alexander's stuff on Telarc. I have Monty with Ernest Ranglin, and Monty meets Sly and Robbie. I think these are the best sounding albums I own.

Here's my humble little list: :-)

Beware that while all of the discs below will show off your system, they can also expose flaws in speakers or amplifiers. I particularly find them useful to "fine tune" a room or to experiment with speaker placement.

- Morcheeba: Big Calm. One of my all time faves. Nice soothing vocals from Skye Edwards. Very dynamic and detailed.

- Mighty Sam McClain: Give It Up To Love. Longtime audiophile favorite. The JVC XRCD is the one to get.

- John Hiatt: Slow Turning. The MFSL Gold CD sounds incredible

- The Oscar Peterson Trio: We Get Requests. One of the best recorded Jazz albums. Engineered by Bob Simpson. My favorite cut is "You Look Good To Me".

- Sinatra & Ellington: Francis A & Edward K. Another superb recording engineered by Lee Hershberg.

- Belafonte Returns to Carnegie Hall. The first one is the most famous but this is no slouch sonically. Incredibly real presence and soundstage.

- James Taylor: Hourglass

- Rickie Lee Jones: self titled. Another classic from '79 engineered by Lee Hershberg

- Vytas Brenner: La Ofrenda De Vytas. Venezuelan progressive rock with folk influences. Hard to find but worth it. Beautiful music with excellent sonics.

- Silvio Rodriguez: Dias Y Flores. Superb sound quality. Super delicate guitar work.

- Tori Amos: The Beekeeper. Relatively recent recording that shows off what CD can do these days. Delicate yet very dynamic and powerful. It will "massage" your woofers!

- Eric Clapton: Unplugged. Another classic from the 1990s. Still sounds superb today.

- Eagles: Hell Freezes Over. Hotel California and The Last Resort should tell you the whole story...

- Bill Evans Trio: Waltz For Debby. The XRCD version is dynamite.

- Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture: Antal Dorati, Mercury Living Presence. The cannons will scare the neighbors!

- Any Telarc Sampler from the 1980s.

- Duke Ellington: Blues In Orbit. The recent CD remaster sounds great and it compares favorably to my original "Six Eye" LP.

- Harry Connick Jr.: To See You. Check out "Much Love".

- Holly Cole Trio: Don't Smoke In Bed. This 1993 recording still holds its own today. The opening acoustic bass in "I can See Clearly now" is the ultimate test for your speakers :-)

- Santana: Abraxas. Still stunning sonically after all these years!

- Blood Sweat & Tears: self titled. The drum solo on "Blues part II" is one of the best ever recorded.
    Last edited by crooner; 2006-03-11 at 09:53.
    "Audio Preservationist"
    Specialized in Marantz Vacuum Tube Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by kanoot
    Strangely I am not a huge fan of this album but it is most assuredly a "reference" recording: Norah Jones' "Come Away with Me"

It is absolutely stunning in quality.
    Speaking of Nora ( I 2nd your recommendation btw ) here's a tidbit that might cause a few flashbacks around here - Nora Jones is the daughter of Ravi Shankar.
    Last edited by deepblu; 2006-03-11 at 09:29.

I can't stand Norah. Her "whispering" vocals can surely get annoying specially when she sings such trite lyrics as "come-away with me in the nightttttttttt"
    "Audio Preservationist"
    Specialized in Marantz Vacuum Tube Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by crooner
    - Eric Clapton: Unplugged. Another classic from the 1990s. Still sounds superb today.
    I scored disc one of Eric Claptons Just One Night MFSL gold on ebay for nine dollars. It's undoubtedly the best live rock recording I have, but with a going rate of $150 for both discs in mint [from Elusive Disc's recent newsletter]- I couldn't quite 'recommend' getting it ;-)