Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Best Albums of 2006

I've started this thread so we can have somewhere to record our favorite albums for the current year. So far, for me:

Cat Power - The Greatest
    Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
    Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Malcolm Wotton

Best Albums of 2006

> I've started this thread so we can have somewhere to record our favorite
    > albums for the current year. So far, for me:
    >
    > Cat Power - The Greatest
    > Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
    > Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

I assume you mean albums released in 2006. I suspect any album I rave about
    will actually be an old album that's new to me.

Malcolm

Otherwise I'll put Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs on the list!

It takes me years to digest new material. If I worked on it I might be able to come up with a best of 2004, but certainly not 2006 and probably not 2005 yet. So, ask me in 2008. The best of 1973 was probably _Closing Time_ by Tom Waits. If not best overall, at least the best debut.

Well, I thought this thread could be a nice way to keep updated on good new music. Of course, there can be other threads for your favorite artists, but here, I think we should list new albums that are of note, especially when albums that may not be on everyone's radar. This is sort of like Pitchfork's "Best New Music" recommendations.

Great idea for a thread I'm always on the lookout for new music.

Looking in browse by years on Slimserver, 2006 has been a light one so far. Apart from The Artic Monkeys the only decent album has been Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. If you like Arcade Fire you'll like this, it's a bit more upbeat though. I'm looking forward to the new Morrissey one though.

D

Quote Originally Posted by dbuk
    Great idea for a thread I'm always on the lookout for new music.

Looking in browse by years on Slimserver, 2006 has been a light one so far. Apart from The Artic Monkeys the only decent album has been Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. If you like Arcade Fire you'll like this, it's a bit more upbeat though. I'm looking forward to the new Morrissey one though.

D
    Mmmmm Morrissey! I'm planning to go to the Morrissey concert in Stockholm - will be great (see my sig and avatar).

On another note: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah must be the coolest band name in a long time.

Likewise looking forward to The Little Willies featuring Norah Jones (March 2006). Seen them live a couple of times and they are fab !

Quote Originally Posted by Siduhe
    Likewise looking forward to The Little Willies featuring Norah Jones (March 2006). Seen them live a couple of times and they are fab !
    Love Norah Jones, esp. album with Peter Mallick Group. Tell me more about The Little Willies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    Tell me more about The Little Willies.
    New York bar band. Alt-country meets urban spirit. Terrible name (I believe a reference to Willie Nelson), but brilliant live and thoroughly nice people to boot. Even their recordings sound like they were done in a smoke-filled back bar in the heart of Greenwich Village.

http://www.emimusic.ca/thelittlewillies/

(I have no connection)

Some recent, if not quite 2006, finds:

Fits into last year but My Morning Jacket - Z is a bit of a ripper. The last two tracks are freakin awesome in particular.

Winston Giles Orchestra - Magnificent Beautiful Day.....if you like Lemonjelly but thought there last album was a less than ideal change of direction, this one is well worth is (as is the first album) - and you can buy direct from the artist (I even got an email direct from the producer!)

The Broken Flowers OST has some great stuff on it, very good for late night and road trips. I guess it would be called jazzy world music??

The latest Sodastream EP - Take Me With You When You Go - is superb. In particular, Keith and Tina is one of their best tracks ever, and they've done some awesome stuff.

dEUS - Pocket Revolution (will be a 2006 album in the States but has been out for a few months in Europe) - good. Not quite as amazing as The Ideal Crash which still totally floats my boat, but Tom Barman remains seriously cool.