Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Inwall amplifiers

Hi,

the Sonic T-amp has been talked about quite a lot. I've looed at that for an inwall multiroom solution for squeezeboxes, but then I visited a friend of mine fir 6 SliMP3's and he's using a Pragmatic HideAway amplifier, http://www.wireless-experts.com/products/saa.htm

Has anyone got any input on these and how the might sound and amplify (strenght) compared to the T-amp's?
    Last edited by nicky6; 2006-02-06 at 03:32.

Quote Originally Posted by nicky6
    I've looed at that for an inwall multiroom solution for squeezeboxes,
    How do you put it in the wall, yet still hook the Squeezebox and power supply up to it? There are wall plates for RCA connections, but you'd still need to add a junction box inside the wall to plug the amplifier into- except it's not commonplace to have an 'outlet' inside the wall, so you'd have to hardwire the DC converter to your electrical system. Hardly ideal

What kind of setup are you looking for? For example, squeezebox sitting on kitchen countertop?

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk
    How do you put it in the wall, yet still hook the Squeezebox and power supply up to it? There are wall plates for RCA connections, but you'd still need to add a junction box inside the wall to plug the amplifier into- except it's not commonplace to have an 'outlet' inside the wall, so you'd have to hardwire the DC converter to your electrical system. Hardly ideal

What kind of setup are you looking for? For example, squeezebox sitting on kitchen countertop?
    Get something like this:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=660
    Jon Heal says:
    Have a nice day!
    http://www.theheals.org/
    ~~~
    SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | DELL OptiPlex PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-397 | PSB Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables | Dayton Audio Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by jonheal
    Your link isn't very precise, unless you meant 'structured wiring' in general. Isn't structured wiring a proactive solution though, meaning you run all wires to every room before the need arises?

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk
    Your link isn't very precise, unless you meant 'structured wiring' in general. Isn't structured wiring a proactive solution though, meaning you run all wires to every room before the need arises?
    I was attempting to point to PartsExpress's stock of in-wall enclosures (for the power supplies, etc.). You'd still need to run 110V romex into the box -- not exactly trivial.
    Jon Heal says:
    Have a nice day!
    http://www.theheals.org/
    ~~~
    SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | DELL OptiPlex PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-397 | PSB Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables | Dayton Audio Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by jonheal
    I was attempting to point to PartsExpress's stock of in-wall enclosures (for the power supplies, etc.). You'd still need to run 110V romex into the box -- not exactly trivial.
    Sorry about that, I see what you're saying [a way to plug in a wall wart in-wall and up to code; although still would have to be 'accessible' as they're panels, which would defeat the purpose IMO]

Anything done 'in wall' is best done prior to 'walling'. 'In wall multi room solutions' is far too vague to help you much, nicky6, further than saying I'd go for the sonic impact over the one you linked to.

How about not stealing this thread?! If you want info on inwall mounting please search in other threads. There are lots of info to find. See e.g. "slimp3 in*".

So, anyone has any input on the particular amp in question?

If you want info on inwall mounting please search in other threads.

So, anyone has any input on the particular amp in question?
    Sorry, I did some more looking and realized the Pragmatic amp IS made for in wall use, and has readymade solutions for wall plates, jboxes, panels, etc- so you're right I was WAY off base.

There may not have been much response because the amp is fairly new, and the company's products are marketed solely to professional systems installers, according to http://www.hometoys.com/releases/may03/pragmatic-09.htm .

Supposedly Pragmatic's founder, Prasanna Shah, is an award winning engineer; and the stereo amps are 'audiophile quality dual monoblock amps'.

Interesting product with tons of applications, thanks for pointing it out- and let us know how it sounds if you get one.

The thing is, a friend of mine already has that amp built in into his new house (he moved in during 2004) using SliMP3's and Boston inwall speakers. I have no idea how it sounds compared to the Sonic T-Amp. When I was there, the sound was fairly low and I never asked him to demonstrate its capabilities.

I was hoping someone here might've had some experiences with the amp. He says it's very cool (as in the opposite of warm) and therefore works nice in this application. Dunno if the T-amp also is cool, and if the low 5W is comparable to the Pragmatic's 48W and which of the two sounds the best...

btw, here's his application: http://www.silverskar.se/html/house_...-041130_7.html

The thing is, a friend of mine already has that amp built in into his new house (he moved in during 2004) using SliMP3's and Boston inwall speakers. I have no idea how it sounds compared to the Sonic T-Amp. When I was there, the sound was fairly low and I never asked him to demonstrate its capabilities.

I was hoping someone here might've had some experiences with the amp. He says it's very cool (as in the opposite of warm) and therefore works nice in this application. Dunno if the T-amp also is cool, and if the low 5W is comparable to the Pragmatic's 48W and which of the two sounds the best...

btw, here's his application: http://www.silverskar.se/html/house_...-041130_7.html
    I would not build in any type of connector that would normally need periodic cleaning, unless I could easily get access to it. It would probably be best to solder in all cabling into an in-wall amp!

Just my $0.02