Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slimbox for travellers

I am travelling quiet a bit and am looking for a smart way to take the slimbox along.

In most hotels I can connect wireless with the laptop and squeezbox.

I had planned to take my slimbox on the trip. But that means take along: the BOX, Powersupply and a pair of powered speakers.

To be honest I like to travel light. Having had a look at my trolley I think I will emdedd the box and speakers in the suitcase in some way.

Any suggestions or comments?

Well, a comment more than a suggestion: personally I wouldn't bother with the Squeezebox in this situation. Why not plug the speakers straight into the laptop? Play the music with Softsqueeze or indeed anything else.

I'd have thought the main reasons for using a Squeezebox in the first place were (1) the ability to get very high quality sound and (2) removing the computer from the place where you are playing the music, neither of which applies here.

Just a thought.

Ceejay

I have to agree that I'm not sure that I can see the advantage in bringing the SB. Could you explain your reasoning a little please?

Slimbox for travellers

klausbgva wrote:
    > I am travelling quiet a bit and am looking for a smart way to take the
    > slimbox along.
    >
    > In most hotels I can connect wireless with the laptop and squeezbox.
    >
    > I had planned to take my slimbox on the trip. But that means take
    > along: the BOX, Powersupply and a pair of powered speakers.
    >
    > To be honest I like to travel light. Having had a look at my trolley I
    > think I will emdedd the box and speakers in the suitcase in some way.
    >
    > Any suggestions or comments?
    >
    >
    >

Softsqueeze and an SSH tunnel works wonders. It's through the laptop
    speakers, which may be an issue if you're an audiophile. I also use
    Last.fm radio when I'm on the road, as they have more bandwidth than my
    house.

If you build a bunch of jerry-rigged kit into your suitcase, you're
    going to look rather suspicious in the security line... prepare for lots
    of unwanted attention when you'd rather be getting on the plane.

--
    Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
    Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip Since 1996

OK I know I can do it with the Laptop.

The built -in speakers are not the best to listen when more than 2 feet away. When on the laptop I have my B&O headset and the sound is as good as the wireless will allow it.

If I take a pair of speakers along they must be powered and need to connect to the power outlet (which means another adapter).

I was considereing the option of the Slimbox because that way the laptop can stay off or do some other wrok which is very ressource hungry.

To leave the laptop on all night as a an alarm clock is very noisy,...
    I would still have to run all over the hotel to cable the whole stuff.

Embeded in the suitcase the slimbox display would be visible when the case is on a table or bed. The speakers would be inside the Suitcase.
    I would run a single powercable and wire all the stuff in the case.

Call me lazy if you want but that would be the easiest for me.

I would prbably also "embede a charger for my cell phone.

How about an iPod?

How about an iPod or similar MP3 player? There are plenty of portable speaker systems available for the iPod ... and some hotels are even putting MP3 player hookups in their rooms now.

Once I get my CD collection ripped in a lossless format, I am planning on creating a second MP3 copy of my collection, to carry around on an iPod.

found a thing pretty close to what I am looking for

Jon,

Yeah I could maybe get a portable player just have not found the right one for me. 10K songs 300+GB

I have listened to MP3 in my car and laptop for at least 7 years.
    I got tired of most of my music because I did not sound right.

Now I have about 80% of my collection in FLAC.
    With all my other files I try to have them in OGG or high bit rate mp3. Once you are used to FLAC or CD quality you don't want to compromise. I hate this trend to mediocrity.

stinkingpig I have thought about your comment about security at the Airport. In Europe in most places I don't see it too much as a problem. But in the US I can imagine that there could be some problems like "plug it in to show it works ...."

I think I have found someting that gets pretty close to what I am looking for http://www.si-technologies.com/front...p?productID=21

Quote Originally Posted by klausbgva
    I hate this trend to mediocrity.
    Can't you only stream mp3 via http though? Having the SB with you would be useless, IMO.

Seems like loading the songs you want to take (in FLAC form) onto your laptop, and buying a small set of powered monitors is your best bet.

These behringer monitors are $100, and include a 24/96 DAC, but the DAC probably wouldn't help if you can only hook them up via headphone jack. I'm not sure what connections are available on a laptop, but they accept optical, coax digital, headphone in/out, and rca analog.

At any rate, they'll sound a LOT better than a backpack because you could set them up for proper imaging.

http://www.music123.com/Behringer-MS20-i156836.music

What about just connecting to squeezenetwork? No laptop needed, just the SB and some powered speakers

Skunk,

You are probably right. I will copy a few gig of flac music on one of my harddrives when I travel and then play them with 2 speakers.

The speakers you refer to see pretty bit for a traveller. I guess I will use my headset mainly and the speakers only to share music and for the wake up call.

Who has had experiences with a FLAC compatible portable music player with minimum 30 GB of Disk or more. Any suggestions?