X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcubeta
    • Jan 2006

Multiple song entries in SlimServer...

Hi everyone,

First, my apologies if this is a thread that has already been resolved somewhere on this forum. If so, then I'm obviously not using the right search terms.

So I have "uninstalled" and reinstalled SlimServer on my RH Linux machine a few different times (don't ask why. ), rescanning my iTunes library each time. The strange & frustrating side effect is that SlimServer now thinks there are multiple copies of the same file, when indeed there are not.

I'm assuming that my "uninstall" is not truly uninstalling everything...?

Any ideas why this is happening, and how I can "scrub" SlimServer so that it corrects my library?

I really love this product, but can't & won't use it if I can't fix this.

Thank you in advance!
    James
  • Siduhe
    • Jun 2005

What version of slimserver are you running ?

Two general suggestions (in order of preference):

1. Go the web interface, Server Settings and select the one that say something like "Clear everything and rescan library". Rescan.

If problem persists:

2. Stop slimserver. Delete the entire server\Cache directory. Start slimserver. Forces a "scan from scratch".

Hope this helps.

Edited to say - also you're not using the ITunes plugin to import your music library from Itunes are you ? I don't use ITunes, but if you are, I believe that you need to leave the Music Library setting under Server Settings as blank, or you get two copies of every track.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• Ben Sandee

Multiple song entries in SlimServer...

Another thing to check is whether or not you have any playlists that contain
      minor variations of the same tracks -- for example a difference in the case
      of the filename (file.mp3 vs. FILE.mp3). These types of issues will cause
      problems like you are having.

Ben

Comment

• jcubeta
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Siduhe
        What version of slimserver are you running ?
        My SlimServer version is 6.2.1...

Two general suggestions (in order of preference):

1. Go the web interface, Server Settings and select the one that say something like "Clear everything and rescan library". Rescan.
        Tried it. Same problem...

If problem persists:

2. Stop slimserver. Delete the entire server\Cache directory. Start slimserver. Forces a "scan from scratch".
        Um...stupid question...where is the "server/Cache" directory?

Which leads me to another question, somewhat off topic:

I installed SlimServer from an RPM, so things just magically happen when you do the install. Where do all the pieces of SlimServer get installed? I see a conf file in /etc, a /usr/local/slimserver directory.... is there stuff anywhere else? Case in point: neither of those directories contain the "server/Cache" directory...

Edited to say - also you're not using the ITunes plugin to import your music library from Itunes are you ?
        Um, I don't think so.

I use iTunes to import my CDs into my library as mp3s. I simply point SlimServer to that directory. I'm not specifically using a plugin...

Thanks again...
        James

Comment

• ajmitchell
          • Jun 2005

same here

I was having the same/similar problem in which tracks would appear as a duplicate in the right hand playlist column - almost like a ghost image; although only one track would play (ie it looked wrong on the web interface but played correctly). Is this the same for you?

Problem is after several re-scans the behaviour just stopped, I didn't fix it!
          http://www.last.fm/user/ajmitchell

Comment

• jcubeta
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ajmitchell
            I was having the same/similar problem in which tracks would appear as a duplicate in the right hand playlist column - almost like a ghost image; although only one track would play (ie it looked wrong on the web interface but played correctly). Is this the same for you?
            Nope. I see X of the same song, and it'll play it X times. Grrr...

Comment

• Siduhe
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by jcubeta
              Um, I don't think so.

I use iTunes to import my CDs into my library as mp3s. I simply point SlimServer to that directory. I'm not specifically using a plugin...

Thanks again...
              James
              If you're just ripping using Itunes and nothing else - that should be fine.

However, if the folder you are pointing Slimserver at the same as your "ITunes Music Library", that may be a reason for the duplicate entries, depending on how you are pointing slimserver at it.

I don't use Itunes (so someone else who does may be able to confirm better than me) but if you want to use the Itunes Library you should select the "Use Itunes" option on the web interface (think in 6.2.1 it is on the Server Settings page) and leave the Music Library box (on the same page) empty (fill in the equivilent box on the Itunes section in Server Settings).

I'm afraid I can't comment on where the cache is on a RH install. You're looking for a file called slimserversql.db - on my PPC install I keep it in a seperate folder to the main install.
              Last edited by Siduhe; 2006-01-29, 01:02.
              Who am I on LAST.FM?
              "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• MartinP
                • Jan 2006

I think Siduhe is right - I started to get the same problem after filling in the Music Library box, with the same address as the iTunes music library.

I did this because I have the music files on a second hard drive, and when I tried to Browse Music I was seeing application folders etc. Adding the file location in the Music Library box fixed that problem, but then duplicates started to appear and play.

Comment

• Amberale
                  • Feb 2006

Duplicate tracks because of playlists

Hi,

I have duplicate tracks too. After digging through the forum a few months ago I think it is due to adding songs to playlists. I create the playlists using Winamp not slim server's interface and place them in the Slimserver playlist folder. I seem to get a duplicate track for everytime the track appears in a playlist.

I keep updating slimserver to the latest version hoping they will fix this, but sadly it continues. (SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252 ) It is a VERY disappointing problem. With this and the inability of the device to recover after a wireless network disconnect without me doing a device restart, I'm starting to look for another product.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob
                  Last edited by Amberale; 2006-02-05, 20:23.

Comment

• steveb
                    • Aug 2010

ghost tracks

Originally posted by ajmitchell

Problem is after several re-scans the behaviour just stopped, I didn't fix it!
                    I know two people with exactly the same problem, does anyone know how to fix it yet?
                    Many thanks

Comment

Working...