Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Heres what i did:

My SB came with a ferrite core (Euro 230V type power) at on the power cable (at the SB end). I connected another one; no detectible improvement to the brightness and high frequency ringing.

Then I attached two ferrites to the cable close to the power subbply itself. Now the SB is playing music! Can not believe the change. The setup still has a tendency toward details in the highs, but now it is musical.

What happened? Not shure but the power cord may have been acting as an rf antenna, or the power started behaving when the ferrites appeared. Any suggestions?

Enjoy,
    I stumbled across this thread while looking for something quite different, and connected it in my mind with a completely separate problem I asked about elsewhere - how to stop the SB (more probably the power supply) from making the FM section of a nearby Tivoli One completely unusable.

So having read this I found a spare ferrite core and added it to the SB power supply cable, at the PSU end. Its made a big difference - still not exactly usable, but enough to convince me that this is the way for me to go, and to reinforce comments made here and elsewhere that the stock switching PSU may be well rejected by the internal linear power supplies in the SB but its playing havoc with other kit...

Ceejay

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I've fitted a mains filter too which has had a bigger effect than the linear suppy I also use. I built this one http://www.triode-systems.com/module...hp?articleid=4

Regards
    Simon
    I too use a home made unit based on the Triode design with two 13amp unswitched outlets. This has made a great difference to the "blackness" of my entire system. For the cost (ú35-40) an absolute bargain. If you are on 220v and can solder a little it's really worth the experiment!!

mains filters

hmm - this got me thinking. I have a relatively large house, as measured in cable feet, and I have always had noise issues on my phone system as well as my x10 devices. Will one of these filter units help clean up everything?
    Bob
    Audio Note CDT-Two->Audio Note DAC5 + Slim Transporter->Spectral DMC-20->Kassai amp->Audio Note AN Es

Bob - there's no way to tell in advance unfortunately - you'd have to try it and see. If had X10 devices, Powerlines etc or anything that uses the mains as a carrier, I'd be very tempted to put one of these filters betwen my hi-fi and the mains