Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 130 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler_durden
    Thanks! The box used to be a cell phone diversity antenna amplifier housing. I picked it up at a scrap yard for about $15, then did a little finish work and built an amplifier into it. The amp is an LM3886 IC based circuit taken right off the ap note for the IC. It will deliver about 30W per channel. The box is all aluminum, and the amp chips are quite efficient (class B) so the whole thing never even gets warm.

It is small, but quite heavy. I think it weighs around 25 lbs. I sort of overbuilt the power supply with a 330VA transformer and 160,000 uF total capacitance.

I'll have to do something about that volume control knob one of these days...

TD
    I think you should use a steam valve ;-)
    Jon Heal says:
    Have a nice day!
    http://www.theheals.org/
    ~~~
    SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | DELL OptiPlex PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-397 | PSB Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables | Dayton Audio Interconnects

I took a picture for the review I published. The review is here:

http://www.abxzone.com/abx_reviews/f...rticle_p1.html

The only space I had was on top of my Energy C-5 speaker. Astonishingly, it looks like it was made for it. There's less than 1/4" of unused space on either side.

It's even the same silver/black colour.

You don't see much of the speaker in this photo but you get an idea how well it fits.

Gotta Love the SB3

I've since had Boldercables modify it, along with their Deluxe power supply. Sounds phenomenal.

Gear is Tri-Vista 21 DAC feeding VAC Avatar SE. Foundation Research LC1 and LC2 power cable boxes are visible in the corners, and silver looking cable coming out the back of the SB3 is a Acoustic Zen MC2 silver digital cable.

Ohh yeah, that great 40 lb hunk of stainless steel and copper supporting the Tri-Vista and the SB3 is a rare Pioneer Elite PD-S95 Stable Patter transport, one of the best I've heard. I've barely turned it on since getting the modified SB3 back.

I'll post a comparison once the Bolder power supply burns in.
    Last edited by davehg; 2006-01-09 at 23:44.

My setup is a work in progress as shown but any questions are welcomed. The full sized pic can be viewed at http://www.eviltechmonkey.com/images/slimtheat.jpg
    BTW, Definitive Technology speakers, Yamaha receiver, Mac Mini below the SB3, Hitachi on the plasma, Samsung and Philips DVD players, Sony CDP CA9ES CD player (collecting dust), Roku HD1000 (only used for photo shows on the plasma)
    Last edited by notanatheist; 2006-01-10 at 00:34.

This is my current setup:

Squeezebox 3 should be arriving in the next day or so, so I'll repost then :-)

Rgds,
    Bruce.

p.s. full setup can be seen at http://brucehartley.com/

My kitchen setup

Would've wanted to be able to run both FM and streamed music without detaching the cables, but now I run Internet radio in the kitchen instead. The SB3 belongs to the living room where the receiver etc is, but I liked the idea of old and new on a photo... Just tried it out in the kitchen.

Not got any photos of my living room system or kitchen system but do have some of the one in the dining room (SB1).

The SB1 is using the digital output into a pair of Meridian D600's - The Worlds first digital loudspeaker! Launched in 1989 (retailing at ú2500), these speakers are a 3 way active design with Bitstream DAC and 165mm bass, 165mm bass/mid and 25mm tweeter, each driven by 3x75W amplifer. Interestingly the D600 not only supports digital inputs (3 - 2 coax, 1 optical) but also up to 2 analogue inputs (balanced and unbalanced inputs) , so effectively they have a pre-amplifier on board as well as built in DACs. They came supplied with two sets on EPROMs, the set installed effectively set the speaker to operate as a standard analogue active speaker only (equivalent to a standard Meridian M speaker and in this mode the speaker could be considered as a forerunner to the M60 having identical cabinet size). The other set of EPROMs was the original D600 set.

PS I don't light the fire and look at the scary 1980's remote!!

Mr Perceptive
    Last edited by Mr Perceptive; 2006-01-11 at 14:48.

Keeping my cable modem (and me) company.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Perceptive
    Bloomin'eck!

10/10 or originality, 0/10 for ergonomics

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Perceptive
    Bloomin'eck!

10/10 or originality, 0/10 for ergonomics