Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

"Auditing" cover images?

Is there any way to "audit" my cover images? In other words, determine which albums don't have artwork (other than clicking hundreds of times).

I have all cover art in "ALBUMNAME.png" format, and sometimes the file name is not exactly the same as the album tag, and therefore the image doesn't show up...

thanks

If you select "Browse Artwork" from the Slimserver menu it should put up the first of several pages of thumbnails of your cover art, sorted alphabetically by album title. The small "ABCD..." indicator at the botom of the page will have one or more letters bolded to indicate which section of the sorted library is shown on this page. Clicking on the first unbolded letter will bring up the next section of the artwork view and so on through to Z. This does require several clicks but should be only about 10 or so depending on how many albums you have as each page view usually covers 2 or 3 letters at one time.

Make sure you have "use placeholders" set under "Browse By Artwork" in the "Interface" page of your Slimserver so that albums with no found artwork will just show a box with the album title and artist. The ones missing artwork whould then be easy to spot and note for later fixing.

davep

Quote Originally Posted by davep
    If you select "Browse Artwork" from the Slimserver menu it should put up the first of several pages of thumbnails of your cover art, sorted alphabetically by album title. The small "ABCD..." indicator at the botom of the page will have one or more letters bolded to indicate which section of the sorted library is shown on this page. Clicking on the first unbolded letter will bring up the next section of the artwork view and so on through to Z. This does require several clicks but should be only about 10 or so depending on how many albums you have as each page view usually covers 2 or 3 letters at one time.

Make sure you have "use placeholders" set under "Browse By Artwork" in the "Interface" page of your Slimserver so that albums with no found artwork will just show a box with the album title and artist. The ones missing artwork whould then be easy to spot and note for later fixing.

davep
    That's a great idea, however when I tried it I got pages of album names, but not images.

Is it because I don't have any "thumbnail" sized images?

It isn't because you have no thumbnails - the software is smart enought to make whole pages of equally sized thumbnails all neatly arranged in a grid from my image files which are of varying sizes. There is no need for a seperate set of thumbnails for the Browse Artwork view.

The problem must be that the SS is not finding your artwork. I note that you are using the albumname as the file title for the image files ands these are in .png format. I call all mine cover.jpg and put each one in its respective album subdirectory along with the flac files for that album. For the naming scheme I think you may be OK - if you read carefuly through the instructions for the various artwork settings on the Server Settings / Interface page of the slimserver you should see references to using custom naming schemes based on tages such as yours. However I am not sure that the png format is supported - I believe artwork has to be jpegs.

davep

Quote Originally Posted by davep
    It isn't because you have no thumbnails - the software is smart enought to make whole pages of equally sized thumbnails all neatly arranged in a grid from my image files which are of varying sizes. There is no need for a seperate set of thumbnails for the Browse Artwork view.

The problem must be that the SS is not finding your artwork. I note that you are using the albumname as the file title for the image files ands these are in .png format. I call all mine cover.jpg and put each one in its respective album subdirectory along with the flac files for that album. For the naming scheme I think you may be OK - if you read carefuly through the instructions for the various artwork settings on the Server Settings / Interface page of the slimserver you should see references to using custom naming schemes based on tages such as yours. However I am not sure that the png format is supported - I believe artwork has to be jpegs.

davep
    I can see the images fine when viewing a single album. It's only the "Browse Artwork" that doesn't show anything. It may be a .png problem.

I'll do some experimenting...

thanks

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Re: "Auditing" cover images?

On 31-Dec-05, at 4:58 PM, davep wrote:

> However I am not sure that the png format is supported - I believe
    > artwork has to be jpegs.
    >

jpg, or gif. See the help section under technical information for the
    full list of supported filenames.
    server settings->interface will allow you to enter one custom file
    name, or use names based on metadata. These still only expect jpg or
    gif at this time.

-kdf

Well, I just tried using cover.png and cover.jpg. Neither showed up in the "Browse Artwork"...

So, I don't know what's wrong...