Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

View Poll Results: Do you have a 770?

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • Got it

114 40.57%
  • Want it

102 36.30%
  • Need it

9 3.20%
  • Forget it

56 19.93%
Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Nokia 770 Skin

Victor Brilon

Re: Nokia 770 Skin

On Dec 24, 2005, at 12:01 AM, macdaddy wrote:

>
    > No interest or knowledge in Mac either? I would get Slim device if I
    > knew the problem was a Roku issue & not a Mac issue. I don't want to
    > buy Slim device only to have same problem. Thx in advance for your
    > input.
    >
    > Man this 770 is S W E E T!

I've been running various Slim devices (since the first one) on an OS
    X box (panther, and now on tiger). Works just perfect. And yeah, the
    770 is sweet

Victor

I'm interested in the 770 as a general web and mail device around the house and, of course as the potential primary remote for the SB3. Can anybody who has used it in these circumstances comment on speed of getting into the network from standby? I am presuming that if you pick it up from 'cold' and want to get into the slimserver to start playing something it takes a short time to log onto your home network and load the :9000 page, etc before you can do anything.

davep

Speed

I pretty much leave my 770 in standby & don't turn it off. On the main screen (or desktop) there is an icon which can be assigned a web shortcut. I have assigned my slimserver address as shortcut w/jpeg of slim device as icon.

When I tap screen to wake from standby = 1 second
    Accessing slimserver from shortcut = 4-5 seconds

So in total about 5-6 seconds. However I am using the standard "Touch" skin & not the modified one mentioned in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Brilon
    I've been running various Slim devices (since the first one) on an OS
    X box (panther, and now on tiger). Works just perfect. And yeah, the
    770 is sweet

Victor
    Thanks Victor. If I have configuration issues, are there many "iSlim" users out there I can count on to provide help in the threads?

I had the same problem trying to download the skin onto XP. As suggested as a workaround elsewhere, I installed Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox, which took about two minutes, and was able to download Ben's skin. I didn't have anything to unzip it with, but downloaded the free unzip utility from http://www.pkware.com/home_and_small...indows/reader/.

The unzipped file contains a "Nokia770" directory with files and sub-directories. This is my first effort downloading a skin, but after much trial and error I put the directory structure in \Program Files\SlimServer\server\HTML and was able to access it within SlimServer on my 770 by pointing my browser to "http://[localhost]:9000/Nokia770". What Ben has done so far is absolutely terrific - this will be my sole SB interface on my 770.

I agree with Ben that the 770 is super cool as a handheld SB controller. Because it is so versatile, it blows away the Sonos (at least for my needs), which I almost bought before finding these boards. (I chuckled when I read Ben's comment several nights ago about being "geeked out" by his 770, but am happily owning my own geekness now.)

Ben, I'll offer some specific comments about the skin once I use it some more. In the meantime, can anyone tell me how to download SoftSqueeze onto my 770? I've gotten as far as figuring out that I need to install Java first, but have not figured out how to do that yet.
    Last edited by jz1; 2005-12-25 at 18:57.

thanks for the feedback so far, all. I just returned from a few days away for the holidays, and want to apologize for all the Windoze problems with the tar.gz archive. I thought most Win users would be using WinZip, and I thought a tar.gz would uncompress fine in that. I guess I figured wrong...at any rate, I'll make some zips of the skin in the morning and post them as well.

jz1--on softsqueeze on the 770...I would not recommend that. I haven't had good luck with softsqueeze on much more powerful linux desktops, so I don't think a streamlined linux handheld device is going to have the firepower. Also, not sure if Java is even ported to it yet.

Instead, I think you should favor the simple approach. Open the included audio player on the 770 and point it to http://yourmachine:9000/stream.mp3. Then go to the browser on the 770 and select the player to be your 770 (which should show up as your 770's IP address). You may have to do some back and forth with the browser and hitting play on the audio player before you get the stream going, but this does work, and as far as I can tell works quite well.

I'll post to this thread tomorrow after I get some zips online. Suggestions on the skin still very welcome. Let's keep the Roku talk elsewhere though, eh?

#!/ben

I've got it working. It looks really good.

I made .zip files to accompany the .tar.gz archives. They are available at http://benklaas.com/slimserver/

FWIW, .tar.gz's uncompress with WinRar just fine for me. The .zip's are handled by WinXP natively.

After uncompressing, the Nokia770/ folder should be placed in the HTML subfolder of your slimserver installation. You can browse directly to slimserver using this skin by pointing your browser to http://yourmachinesIP:9000/Nokia770/.

I know I've caveated it before, but the skin is not perfect (yet). There are some kinks to work out and some enhancements to be made. However, if you have a 770 and want to see how a skin optimized for it looks, you want this.

cheers,
    #!/ben

Thanks

Thank you for the zip file. I am getting the following error when i click on the next track button on the Now Playing screen.

Quote Originally Posted by error
    403 Forbidden: status.html

In order to request this URL from a Bookmark/Favorite, or some means other than following a link from the SlimServer web interface, you will need to use a URL with a \"cauth\" security parameter. If you received this error when following a link from the SlimServer web interface, you will want to make sure your web browser software (including proxy servers and spyware/privacy software) is allowing \"Referer\" headers to be sent. Below is the appropriate URL for the URL you attempted.

http://192.168.1.100:9000/Nokia770/s...a90ac515b60778

Because your CSRF protection level is set at 'MEDIUM', you can use the same ";cauth=" value for any URL; this means you should be more careful who you share your URLs with.
    Last edited by biomech; 2005-12-26 at 14:44.

biomech-- I have been unable to reproduce this. Could you provide a few other details?

OS that your Slimserver is running on
    Version of Slimserver

I'm a Linux guy, and if I were to get a 403 error the first place I'd look would be file permissions, making sure that the status.html file had read permission for everyone. Sounds like you are in windows-land though...

I'm a bit confused...when I click on 'next' in the now playing window the URL I go to does not have a 'cauth' parameter. Kind of sounds like a server setting that you might have different than me. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

#!/ben